Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low Sodium/Fat Free Broth Is Gross!

Hello All,

I just started my pre-op fasting diet today which consists of protien shakes 3x's per day, s/f low sodium broth, sugar free Jello, popsicles and Water and the broth is just horrible!!! I guess I can just have everything else and exclude the borth since it's not the only liquid I can have but if I must have it it's gonna be a real challenge. Does anyone know if I can add a dash of hot sauce to it to make it taste better? I asked my nutritionist via email earlier today and she has not responded to me yet. How's everyone else doing with their pre-op diet? It's only day one for me, 13 more to go before my surgery on the 2st. I excited and determined to stick to this diet because I realize the benefits of me doing so plus it will prepare me for my new way of eating after the surgery. If anyone has any suggestions as to how to make the broth easier to digest pleas elet me know. By the way I'm using Herb Ox fat-free, low sodium broth that comes in the green box. Please Help!!! :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

My nut says hot sauce is fine- any non fibrous seasoning is fine :-) I use regular sodium broth... I cant stand the low sodium.

You and I are in the same boat. I've been surfing here all day looking for someone else who's having trouble.

My surgery is the 21st also. Two more weeks. I have to have 5 shakes a day, tea, Jello or Water. I guess every

doc is different.

Other than to say you're not alone - I don't have a lot to add.

I have tried adding instant miso to my broth but that's not everyones favorite. I found adding some of the "thai" seasoning

from the kroger produce section (by the herbs) added some more interest to the broth.

Good luck! I'm around if you ever want to chat!

I am starting week 3 tomorrow of Optifast liquid shakes. I can also have the broth and sf jelly. But my Dr says the broth and the jelly are optional if I feel hunger which I never do. I am only having the

opti shakes and my Water. The first 3 days is when I had the broth and jelly but none since because im not hungry. Once you are in ketosis your hunger usually leaves you. Are you permitted any vegies ie lettuce peppers cucumbers etc. Hang in there it will get better. :-) Val

Hi Val, I'm on my phone so I can't see your entire post as I respond to you but I can only have the Protein Shakes 3x's per day and the Clear Liquids to supplement it. I'm having the gastric bypass surgery and my surgeon requires me to follow this diet for two weeks to prep my liver for surgery. I appreciate your feedback I guess the pre-op diets chosen by your surgeon depends on your other health issues too. I have hypertension and high cholesterol and I'm prediabetic to boot. I'll be fine though because if I can't tolerate the broth I'll just skip it entirely.

Hi Seattleslew,

Thanks for the support. I am only on day one of my pre-surgery diet and I can honestly say that I can't stomach this broth. I just finished making my own veggie broth by boiling some veggies and draining the liquid off of them and freezing the cooked veggies for later. I'm going to try it tomorrow and if I like it I'll substitute it for the chicken broth. I'll post a message letting you know tomorrow. Have a great evening it's nice meeting you and sharing my journey with you in this forum!!!

My nut says hot sauce is fine- any non fibrous seasoning is fine :-) I use regular sodium broth... I cant stand the low sodium.

Hi April thanks for this info. There has to be a way to make this broth more appetizing. I don't know if it's the brand (I brought Herb Ox brand fat free sodium free broth in the green box) but this is so disgusting and nasty tasting. I'm going to try it with some hot sauce added also I made some veggie broth today that I'm going to try tomorrow and let everyone know how it tastes. Have a good evening and I'll chat with you tomorrow!!!

Thanks for this info, I'm going to try this tomorrow. Also I made some veggie broth today so I taste it tomorrow and let you know how it tastes. Have a great evening I'll chat with you tomorrow!!'

As a post op, I've discovered I love egg drop Soup. I just boil chicken broth, add some soy sauce and garlic salt and drizzle a well scrambled raw egg into the pot. Its wonderful... And still liquid

Hey Glo your new broth sounds yummy. Im having the RNY done. I also have hypertension and I am diebtic. Since I have been on the Opti I have cut out 2 pills for my diebetes and reduced my insulin from 96 units to 22units so far. My Dr. Is very pleased. I am down 22lbs in 2 weeks. I cant wait for the 22nd. Glad to hear from you. Val :-)

"WHAT A DIFFERENCE A DAY & SUPPORT MAKES"

Good day guys,as you all may remember I was complaining about the sodium free-fat free broth I must drink as a part of my pre-op fasting diet, I was completely turned off by the taste and it did not go down well. Today I am grateful to all of you that responded to me and I am pleased to say that after adding a dsh of hot sauce the broth tastes considerably better and I actually enjoyed it. I also loved my veggie broth that I made yesterday using french cut green Beans, carrots, onions, garlic powder, and onion salt. I'm very pleased to say that I will survive my pre-op diet and probably lose a great deal of weight now that I can enjoy what I am drinking. Thanks everyone for all of the excellent advice, support, and encouragement. Have a great day I'll chat with you guys later for now I am off for my daily WiiFit workout, today is aerobics day, God bless!!!

SILLY, SILLY ME!!!

Good afternoon everyone, I spoke with my doctor a few minutes ago and I found out that I did not read his instructions for my pre-fast diet correctly :rolleyes: Silly Me Lol!!! What I was doing wrong was using sodium free/fat free broth when I am supposed to be using fat free broth.....what a difference a little sodium makes in taste and bodily response. You guys are awesome and thanks to those of you who tried to tell me that I was supposed to be using fat free broth with the regular amount of sodium in it. Now I am prepard to do this thing for one more week until the 21st, the day of my surgery. Oh yeah, I just weighed myself on my WiiFit and since Monday I've lost 7 1/2 lbs, woo-hoo!!! This is awesome I imagine that by next Monday I will have lost 15-20 lbs total. I'm gonna lov emy new life and I am ready for the pain and whatever my recovery brings because I am pumped and excited about my new life :D :D :D :D!!!!

Congrats!! I am very leery of telling people what to do, but the sodium DOES make a huge difference in flavor. It sounds like you are doing great! I think the pre-op diet was the hardest part if this whole process, and you're doing it superbly :-)

Congrats!! I am very leery of telling people what to do, but the sodium DOES make a huge difference in flavor. It sounds like you are doing great! I think the pre-op diet was the hardest part if this whole process, and you're doing it superbly :-)

Yes it does April and please don't stop giving me your feedback I really need it and appreciate it so much. I'm feeling so much better and I'm more optimistic about my future after the surgery. God bless you and have a great evening!!!

so glad you got that straightened out! i plan to save some chicken bones and make my own broth by boiling it with a couple pieces of meat, tons of veg, salt, garlic, etc. and draining it, like you did with your veg broth!

i am generally not to picky but two weeks is a long time for me (that's my pre-op diet time). I am also able to have RAW veggies, plain yogurt, applesauce, shakes.

i plan to make a heap of dip with the plain greek yogurt and spices and live off those raw veggies along with it! best of luck