Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating with Coworkers Who don't know

I work at a job where I do alot of traveling and will have to eat Breakfast, lunch and dinner with my coworkers or if I work out of the office, will have to go to lunch as a group. It wasn't a problem before cause the office I was working for didn't notice. When I transferred to another location, everyone seems to pay more attention to it. I've been telling people either it's not good the food or that I'm just not hungry but don't think I can keep that going. What are some of the other excuses you have used with people you don't want finding out? I work in a field that something like getting sleeved is frowned upon and thought of as a weakness as well as getting around to everyone like wildfire once out so keeping this quite is a big deal as long as I can. (Plus lost 115 lbs in about 10 months and no one has noticed!)

Hmmm You could say you're going out with your SO and/or husband later that evening.

You could also say that you're being mindful of your diet and trying to lose a few pounds.

If you feel you have to say anything, then say you eat a big breakfast and dinner and don't really "do" lunch other than just some small Snacks. If they haven't noticed you lost over 100 pounds, they really aren't interested anyway. Don't let it bother you. BTW, fantastic job! ;)

Edited by Recycled

I work at a job where I do alot of traveling and will have to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner with my coworkers or if I work out of the office, will have to go to lunch as a group. It wasn't a problem before cause the office I was working for didn't notice. When I transferred to another location, everyone seems to pay more attention to it. I've been telling people either it's not good the food or that I'm just not hungry but don't think I can keep that going. What are some of the other excuses you have used with people you don't want finding out? I work in a field that something like getting sleeved is frowned upon and thought of as a weakness as well as getting around to everyone like wildfire once out so keeping this quite is a big deal as long as I can. (Plus lost 115 lbs in about 10 months and no one has noticed!)

I am worried about this also. I am not telling most of my family I am having surgery for the same reason you haven't told your co-workers.

If you feel you have to say anything, then say you eat a big breakfast and dinner and don't really "do" lunch other than just some small Snacks. If they haven't noticed you lost over 100 pounds, they really aren't interested anyway. Don't let it bother you. BTW, fantastic job! ;)

Yep.

Tell them you're doing low carb so you bring your own food.< /p>

I tell people I'm dieting and controlling portions and carbs. Most everyone now knows I'm dieting, they just don't know about the surgery.

I work at a job where I do alot of traveling and will have to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner with my coworkers or if I work out of the office, will have to go to lunch as a group. It wasn't a problem before cause the office I was working for didn't notice. When I transferred to another location, everyone seems to pay more attention to it. I've been telling people either it's not good the food or that I'm just not hungry but don't think I can keep that going. What are some of the other excuses you have used with people you don't want finding out? I work in a field that something like getting sleeved is frowned upon and thought of as a weakness as well as getting around to everyone like wildfire once out so keeping this quite is a big deal as long as I can. (Plus lost 115 lbs in about 10 months and no one has noticed!)

Really?? They pay attention to what you are or are not eating yet they don't notice you've lost 115 lbs.? I find that incredulous and not even worth your time worrying about it. Just eat the way you have been and ignore any comments about your food intake. Oh, and just as an FYI, I suspect with that much of a weight loss in only ten months....they already have figured it out but no one is actually saying it to your face.

I've lost alot of weight also and I'm sure the women here suspect the same thing. The men are just clueless...lol. The only thing I have going for me is that I had both hips replaced and I've told people I was losing weight because of the surgery. They saw me walking in severe pain and using the cane so I think most of them have accepted my answer at face value.

I woud just tell them what I am going to tell the people I work with: I'm eating healthier for me. For me I have 2 daughters that i want to see get married and have children but not to soon beacuse Im ready to get my life and body back.

Good Luck to YOU!!!

I just tell people who have noticed my 50lb weight loss since Jan. That I am eating healthy , Protein, fruits , vegetables and NO processed foods. End of discussion. which is the truth. It's none of their business regarding my surgery.

I know a couple of people that have slow digestive system, it's a medical condition and they have to eat small quantities of food per sitting or else they get sick. Tell them you have a medical condition. Then you're not lying.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions will deff try them out

I carry my Protein Shake all day long. For breakfast and lunch. For dinner, I am a vegetarian so it's rather easy for me to tell them I am going to eat back in the hotel. On business trip we usually book rooms with kitchens and I'll just cook some eggs etc.

I wouldn't give any reasons. If someone is bold enough to ask and not take the common "I'm just not very hungry" as enough of a reason, simply smile at them like the idiot they are and ignore any further inquiry.

I travel ALOT for work. Right now I'm on a project where I'm with the same people for the next 14 weeks Mon - Thurs. I opt out of meals often -- even bring my own food. Since I am spending so much time w/ these people, they are well aware that I am on a health kick. I don't even mention food - aside from - ugh I don't want to go there b/c there is nothing healthy.

Lots of people are health conscious these days. I think it is very acceptable, and no reason to mention the surgery. People often end up working out with me or eating better b/c they see how consistent I can be even while traveling.