Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Apparently I disappointed someone...

Mrs. RRn, you are a class act!! Way to think about your situation with patience & wisdom before responding! There is so much fear and ignorance out there. We are much better off if we educate folks and give them a chance to understand. I used to think wls was cheating, too. When one of my friends at work had great success with the vsg, I started to do my own research and realized that it was an amazing opportunity for me to succeed where I'd failed for so long. We were all ignorant once upon a time!

My give-a-damn meter sees things like that as a someone trying to accidentally-on-purpose put you on public blast... My response would've started with "b-tch please"....

and ended with a Don't hate me because you ain't me...

My decision for the sleeve was a last resort decision i was desperate for help,to reclaim control in my life and to achieve the success my efforts at dieting weren't bringing. Now I have to work harder then ever. There isn't a day that I can mindlessly eat as before. If you want the easy way out don't have WLS booya!!

That Would be my response

LOL, I'm storing some of these comebacks for future reference. Y'all are too good.

Oh lordy. I would reply privately to her. Something along the lines of.... 'With regards to my surgery, and I am sure its me to which you were referring, I felt I didn't want to tell the world about it just yet. The limited few that do know, have by in large respected that privacy. With all due respect, my surgery is a private matter, one of which I wanted to tell people in my own good time. I am disappointed that you feel because I've had surgery, that I am now no longer worthy of 'being looked up to'. In consideration of this point, I would like you to know that I had recently presented with a number of serious health problems of which long term and had I not taken action, would have developed into significantly debilitating issues. Subsequently and on the recommendation of my medical team, i took the very difficult decision to undergo a serious operation to increase my long term health prospects. I don't expect you to understand this predicament, as its easy to make assumptions about weight loss surgery. However and as my friend, I had hoped you would have extended the courtesy to talk to me about it first, before posting something which has fundamentally hurt me. Given the decision I had to make and the surgical procedure and diet I now have to endure, this has in no way been easy and your comment left me and my efforts, undermined. I am saddened by this. I hope this clarifies my position for you and if there's anything you'd like to discuss further, please feel free to contact me directly.' Or, if you don't really care, you could just reply with: BITE ME!!!! :D

You're great !!! Bite me was the best

@@Mrs.RRn what did the positive supportive responses say? Can you post them as they may be motivating and helpful for others on here.

Keep going... brush off the negative/weird/spiteful/jealous comments... I'm guessing that the people who post them can't help it as they don't understand what it is like to be obese, or what it is like to do the hard work after surgery.

Thanks

This is exactly why I told my household and threatened them to being eternally cut off if they told a soul:-))) lol. People are just jealous! By the way I could use all the weight loss tips with this sleeve you have to offer I had surgery with Dr. Borland too!! Help a Sistah out! Have a great day everyone!

Ahhh "The Easy Way Out" syndrome.

Yeah, tell them they need to go on a 2 week liquid diet, followed up by removal of 80% of their stomach, recover from surgery, start working out, figuring out how to eat with 80% of their stomach all while addressing food addiction and emotional problems.

Yeah, it's the easy way out...

Or maybe respond with something like, "That moment when you realize you thought you had a real friend then realize they judge a decision you made to better and prolong your life...CRUSHED."

That's the PERFECT answer!!!!!

There's always "I had WLS so I could live a longer healthier life and watch "friends" such as you become the jealous vindictive bitches; didn't realize it would be happening so fast."

@@Mrs.RRn what did the positive supportive responses say? Can you post them as they may be motivating and helpful for others on here.Keep going... brush off the negative/weird/spiteful/jealous comments... I'm guessing that the people who post them can't help it as they don't understand what it is like to be obese, or what it is like to do the hard work after surgery.Thanks

This was my fav response:

"I totally understand & agree that everyone is aloud their own opinion so with that said here's mine.... The "reason" someone says they had wls is irrelevant as long as they had it by their own free will & for their own reasons, the fact that they got healthy is what should matter. People tell others especially non wls others all kinds of reasons (that may not always be true) that they feel will be excepted to help others justify their decision because of comments like this of the fear of "letting a friend or love one down" BC they don't fully understand how hard it is to be overweight or any negative responsive to something that was supposed to be a positive life changing event for them. We ALL go through our own struggles & the fact is that no matter the details of why we do what we do to fix those things as long as we are happy & can live with the results of our decisions is all that matters. I'm truly sorry u were crushed but to hopefully help u maybe understand ur friends life changing decision to add years to their life & to enjoy a healthier way of life by having surgery go google what they had to go through after surgery & have to deal with everyday to maintain that lifestyle. Like it was said in a pervious comment surgery is just a jump start for a better life. & thankfully a healthier way than diet pills, adderall, starvation, or throwing up which is the route many take in private BC wls still has such a negative stigma about it. I feel bad for anyone that looks at me or my weightless different due to how I got that way BC besides them having no clue about the struggles I have & still face they are missing out on sooo many other great positive parts of my life that have happen thanks to my weight loss."

I no one actually put a negative comment about wls. Wow. :)

@@Mrs.RRn what did the positive supportive responses say? Can you post them as they may be motivating and helpful for others on here.Keep going... brush off the negative/weird/spiteful/jealous comments... I'm guessing that the people who post them can't help it as they don't understand what it is like to be obese, or what it is like to do the hard work after surgery.Thanks

This was my fav response:

"I totally understand & agree that everyone is aloud their own opinion so with that said here's mine.... The "reason" someone says they had wls is irrelevant as long as they had it by their own free will & for their own reasons, the fact that they got healthy is what should matter. People tell others especially non wls others all kinds of reasons (that may not always be true) that they feel will be excepted to help others justify their decision because of comments like this of the fear of "letting a friend or love one down" BC they don't fully understand how hard it is to be overweight or any negative responsive to something that was supposed to be a positive life changing event for them. We ALL go through our own struggles & the fact is that no matter the details of why we do what we do to fix those things as long as we are happy & can live with the results of our decisions is all that matters. I'm truly sorry u were crushed but to hopefully help u maybe understand ur friends life changing decision to add years to their life & to enjoy a healthier way of life by having surgery go google what they had to go through after surgery & have to deal with everyday to maintain that lifestyle. Like it was said in a pervious comment surgery is just a jump start for a better life. & thankfully a healthier way than diet pills, adderall, starvation, or throwing up which is the route many take in private BC wls still has such a negative stigma about it. I feel bad for anyone that looks at me or my weightless different due to how I got that way BC besides them having no clue about the struggles I have & still face they are missing out on sooo many other great positive parts of my life that have happen thanks to my weight loss."

I no one actually put a negative comment about wls. Wow. :)

That was an awesome response. I too have not come out on FB, and I do not plan on it, but if somebody does it for me , after reading all these posts I will be able to give a good response! Thanks and by the way you look great!!!!

Wow it amazes me how people feel they have the right to pass judgment on others. Obesity I believe is one form of predgidism the world can certainly do without. Your decision to become healthy is yours to make. However you chose to do it is also yours as well.. you are starting a new journey don't take negative people on your journey with you. Keep smiling :-) Val

Sounds like envy to me, who wouldn't want any chance to change their lives for the better, some people just don't know how to respond to seeing someone finally happy and confident.

Sounds like envy to me, who wouldn't want any chance to change their lives for the better, some people just don't know how to respond to seeing someone finally happy and confident.

Envy.... Probably so. It's funny how the mean highschool girls end up being mean women. lol

I need a don't give sh-tameter too. I need a couple in case one breaks.... You're actualresponse was really good and a reminder of what is ahead of me.