Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Excited to join the band to sleeve club !

My lap-band will be removed on 4/14 and my sleeve will be done on 5/19. The past couple of months have been quite the whirlwind for me!!

My story: I had my band placed in Oct 2008 and lost 45 pounds during the first year . I have been able to maintain the weight loss mainly because the band made me bulimic - unless I ate slider foods. I did not go for a follow-up for almost 2 years because I knew I was not on track or following the program. I also had multiple ankle surgeries over 2011 & 2012 which put my band on the back burner) So in Jan 2014 I decided to go for a follow up just to make sure the band was not slipped etc.I had no issues other than the ability to eat anything of substance. That was on 1/30 and two months later here I am scheduled for band /sleeve revision. I had no intention of doing the sleeve when I went to see my dr ..I really did not even know what it was. But after a lot of research I have decided this is the path for me.

I have been lurking on this forum for months, but decided to come forward because I wanted to thank everyone for posting their stories and taking the time to answer everyone's questions. This forum was an incredible resource for me !!

I did very well with the band until I started with complications with reflux and pain at my band area. I didn't realize just how much pain I was having in my esophagus area until after surgery. I feel like an elephant has been removed from my ribcage.

Also, so many of our band rules apply to the sleeve as well...small bites, no drinking with meals etc, I found it almost 2nd nature to move on to being sleeved.

Welcome to the band to sleeve club. I never realized how large this group is until I met my new Dr, therapist. nurse, NUT, OR staff, this forum, etc. It was validating to know I'm not the only one unhappy with the Lap-band. I'm only 10 days post-op at this point and on a pink cloud. From what I've learned, my surgery was without complication and I'm right on track. Yeah, there was pain, discomfort and inconvenience. So what. I look forward to my puree diet starting today. Head hunger is manageable while I'm on my cloud and it will just be a fact of life later.

Again, welcome, and my best wishes for your new lifestyle.

I will be joining the club tomorrow!!!

Best of luck to you !! Keep us all posted...

I too will be a band to sleeve! My surgery date is June 17! I am ecstatic! Keep us posted with your progress.

My lap-band will be removed on 4/14 and my sleeve will be done on 5/19. The past couple of months have been quite the whirlwind for me!!

My story: I had my band placed in Oct 2008 and lost 45 pounds during the first year . I have been able to maintain the weight loss mainly because the band made me bulimic - unless I ate slider foods. I did not go for a follow-up for almost 2 years because I knew I was not on track or following the program. I also had multiple ankle surgeries over 2011 & 2012 which put my band on the back burner) So in Jan 2014 I decided to go for a follow up just to make sure the band was not slipped etc.I had no issues other than the ability to eat anything of substance. That was on 1/30 and two months later here I am scheduled for band /sleeve revision. I had no intention of doing the sleeve when I went to see my dr ..I really did not even know what it was. But after a lot of research I have decided this is the path for me.

Welcome! My revision surgery is scheduled for 5/23 (my surgeon is doing both the removal and the sleeve the same day). So we will both be May Sleevers!! :) I can absolutely relate to what you said. I lost a total of 40 pounds with my lap band (but that is TOTAL, including the 17 I lost during the 2-week pre-op diet). :( For so long I was too embarrassed to tell anyone I had a lap-band, and I also avoided going back to my surgeon for an adjustment because I was ashamed that "I had failed". It wasn't until recently that I learned how many people experienced the very same results and then I began to realize that it was the band that failed - not me.

You will do great! Keep us posted on how you're doing after your band is removed Monday. Wishing you a speedy recovery and look forward to moving onto the losers bench with you.

Welcome! My revision surgery is scheduled for 5/23 (my surgeon is doing both the removal and the sleeve the same day). So we will both be May Sleevers!! :) I can absolutely relate to what you said. I lost a total of 40 pounds with my lap band (but that is TOTAL, including the 17 I lost during the 2-week pre-op diet). :( For so long I was too embarrassed to tell anyone I had a lap-band, and I also avoided going back to my surgeon for an adjustment because I was ashamed that "I had failed". It wasn't until recently that I learned how many people experienced the very same results and then I began to realize that it was the band that failed - not me.

You will do great! Keep us posted on how you're doing after your band is removed Monday. Wishing you a speedy recovery and look forward to moving onto the losers bench with you.

Thanks so much...I can't wait to get the band out tomorrow !!

Hello Band to Sleevers,

Just an update ...I had the band out yesterday...YIPPEE !

Surgery was 7:30 am and I was released to go home at 10:30am..It really was fast and easy. I feel great today- the soreness in my throat hurts more than my stomach..it just feels like I did a bunch of sit-ups. So now I am half-way there..my sleeve surgery is scheduled for May 19th, Then I will be a full member of this club!