Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had surgery on 2/17/14. Besides a lap band, I also had a "huge" hiatal hernia repair. Before I left the hospital, I had a barium swallow and it turned out that my band was too tight. It still had water/fluid in it and so I had my first unfill. For several weeks, I was liquids only and when I did eat something, it would be a shot in the dark whether it would stay down. I had a lot of PBs and stuck feelings.. But as time went on, I could eat some things if I ate them very slowly and carefully (think chicken salad) or mushy or mushable types of food.

Last week, I went in because at this point, my seat belt hurt near my breastbone. The surgeon took about more Fluid. The good news was that I had lost 30 pounds. (Which didn't surprise me because I weighed myself every morning and it would be down a pound.)

So far, I've had two unfills. In the week that I've had the last unfill, I've been able to eat a little more and without throwing up. (Although I know part of my problem is that I need to eat even more slowly that I thought so I've had a little push back from the food during this time too.) I even ate a salad last night which was wonderful. I had been afraid to eat something like that since the surgery. No surprise, though, my weight crept up by a pound or two.

Before I had the last unfill, I had been scheduled to see the surgeon in one month. Tomorrow is my appointment and I suspect that I'll have my first official fill. Which I can't wait for! Sickening, isn't it? I've enjoyed the week with significantly less restrictions but I also miss checking my weight and seeing the pounds fly off. I'm hoping that my fill will be a compromise between the two: enough restriction to make the weight come off but not so much restriction that I can't stand wearing my seat belt. Honestly, I don't mind drinking liquids and eating mushy/mushables if it means losing weight. In some ways, I'd rather not have the many, many choices.

Is this normal?

I like having my band adjusted to where I can eat almost anything (solids, liquids, mushies), but with the band controlling the ANOUNT I can eat. I may not be seeing the pounds fly off, but I'm still losing on average eight pounds a month. I want my band to help me eat like a NORMAL, AVERAGE, EVERYDAY person with no weight issues might eat..... LOL

So confusing aint it? I share Healthynewme's views.

When you see some forum members post failures, GERD, throwing up, slips etc, many times this is due to having a band that is too tight. Losing big weight and being slim is like an aphrodisiac just like eating too much food was for many. Having your band too tight causes so many problems it's just not worth it to me.

I like my band a little on the loose side. I'd like to drop lbs quicker, but I also want this plastic ring to last me a few decades. I also enjoy eating some foods that many people who may be too tight cannot eat.

Sounds like you've got your thumb on this. Way to go.

tmf

I am scheduled for my first fill on Monday, April7. My surgery was March 7th. I have a question for anybody who would like to answer. My first 2 weeks I lost 14 pounds. I was excited, but felt hungry around the clock. I have not budged since then. My clothes seem to fit a bit differently, but the scale is not budging since I started on solid food. Am I doing something wrong? Is this normal? I don't want to stop at 14 pounds. Will it improve after my first fill?

When I went in for my appointment, I thought I was going to get a bit of a fill. They were surprised to see me. Apparently I should have cancelled my appointment (which was going to be my first monthly appointment after the two week check up after surgery). No one told me. Still, she asked me questions on how I was doing and feeling. I was correct -- I did go up a pound but she wasn't concerned about it at all. She said that happens and not worry -- just concentrate on eating well (not junk) and exercise.

She wasn't going to give me a fill (thank goodness I thought!).

I'll be honest. I did sort of want a fill because I did like the idea of weighing myself and finding that I lost another pound, etc. On the other hand, it was NOT worth feeling so uncomfortable and not being able to stand wearing a seat belt. But as you all said it so eloquently what I need to be doing.

So....I sucked it up and went to the gym, used the weights and tried to exercise harder than usual (which probably was a fail as I'm still very out of shape). I've been diligent about keeping track of what I'm eating and being as honest on that as well. The band is a tool and I have to relearn how to eat and in what amounts and around 1000 calories. I also need to exercise.

Yesterday was a great day. I really wasn't as hungry as I've usually been and so for lunch I had some hummus with a little pita bread (not much) and I could eat celery (which I love, love, love*) with a little Peanut Butter. *I'm weird like this; I really do love celery for some reason. My weight loss may be slower now, but I feel better and eat better without throwing up, PB, etc. I'm glad I did this.

AdFreeman, you might want to measure yourself and keep track of your weight loss in that way as well as pounds. Sometimes people lose inches or shift rather than have pounds gone. I hope your fill went well on the 7th.

Thanks so much for all of the good advise and good words. I love this place!

readhdgal...sounds like you are on track!!!! I had my surgery Feb 6th...so I'm almost 9 weeks out...my doc won't do a fill until next week. He really wanted to wait 12 weeks...but I begged....

So, I lost 14 lbs since surgery...in the first 3 weeks...since then I bounce between 8-14 lbs down...ughhh. So, I have been riding my bike and walking...and I am counting calories again...and leaving off the stuff I know I shouldn't have. I'm trying to keep calories under 1200. I probably should go lower...but we will see.

Mama Angela, it sounds like you are doing really well. You're exercising regularly which is something that I need to do. (I have insomnia and then I start a bad sleep cycle which makes me useless except during the work hours. But it's an excuse -- I can and should do more exercising.) I religiously write down stuff in my My Fitness Pal on my smart phone. And I weigh myself every morning. So far I'm stuck or plateauing but again -- I have to do the exercising part.

I won't get anything for another four weeks until May 5. But this is where I need to be, I suppose and teach myself how to eat better, healthier and do more healthier things. I'll get some rest tonight and plan on walking and gym tomorrow. Thanks for writing. This group is pretty great and supportive.

I'm a horrible sleeper...always have been. I have a CPAP machine now...for the year and a half...that helps in that when I do sleep...i'm still breathing..hahha. I hope that as I lose weight I'll be a better sleeper. Right now it takes me a couple of hours before bed time to start trying to unwind...and then that doesn't always work...

I hear ya...I'm working on..."enjoying and being in the present". I need to learn to eat small amounts...get used to it...eat healthy...and be happy about that.