Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NY - Albany/Rensselaer Area

I'm interested in leading a Local Chapter in the Albany/Rensselaer area in upstate NY. I had RNY in December and prepared for nearly two years, learning as much as I could in that time. I have lost over 60 pounds so far. I have beaten type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, and high cholesterol. I have gained the support of nearly everyone in my family and friends circle, explaining my procedure and fighting the "easy way out" mentality.

I have extensive experience in planning and hosting meetings and presentations. I have over 25 years of administrative experience. I have been a Health Coach for Take Shape for Life (Medifast) since 2010 and have hosted many presentations and workshops in relation to the program. I've led local discussions and helped hundreds of people lose weight with this program, some pre-op in their bariatric program. I also run my own Avon business, which has me networking and talking to people all the time. I have an active Avon Facebook page as well as a blog to keep my customers informed and inspired.

I am a recent breast cancer survivor, having had extensive reconstruction after bilateral mastectomies and have much knowledge on plastic surgery with many local connections. I have learned a vast amount about nutrition in my weight loss adventure, and I'm thankful to have that knowledge to apply to my post-op life. I am an avid cook and I know my way around the kitchen quite well. All the activities listed appeal to my areas of interest and I would love to pull together activities in these areas to support my local weight loss surgery brothers and sisters.

I am passionate about weight loss surgery and how it provides hope for people, like me, who have tried everything else and have looming health issues. I actively seek out new information about new procedures, techniques, complications, etc. and love talking about it. I have the compassion to make others feel welcome and not pressured. I'm a great talked and an even better listener. I feel it's my calling to pass on what I have learned and to provide help and hope to others in a positive, fun environment.

My availability is generally weekday late afternoons and evenings (I am home by 3) with occasional availability for a weekend activity.

Congrats on your idea for this new chapter in the capital district area. I expect to have my RNY in June if all goes well. I have been in this process since December and I am almost at the end. In 10 days I see the sleep doctor and check my results with my cpap machine. If I have shown improvement since my study [in January], and I expect to, she will clear me for my surgery. Then its just waiting for the insurance approval I have CDPHP. I too have Dr Trivedi as my doctor. Were you pleased with everything, the doctor, staff etc? One question I have concerns about, being able to pick up the phone and check with him or his staff on my current process and exactly where i'm at. Also were you happy with all your follow-up? Sorry, I had more questions than I realized. Its just great to converse with someone who's been there with my doctor. Any advise would be appreciated.

Hi, ambete! I was very pleased with Dr. Trivedi and the entire St. Peter's staff. Join us over on our local page where there are several of us who talk regularly! Go to: http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/266261-albany-new-york/

Please PM me if you'd like to lead or co-lead this support group!

Following.

I have been on a no-grain no-carb no-sugar no raw-veg/fruit diet for ten years due to other issues (but gained an enourmous amount of weight). I have learned about recipes and ideas for packing in the Protein and have lots to contribute. I'd be happy to meet you all in person in the capital region.

First Meeting Flyer

Sounds like you are off to great start. I meet with Dr. Trevedi on July 3rd for pre-op and I only hope I can be as successful as you are. Please keep your post coming as they are so informational to all us beginners! It shows me there really is light at the end of my tunnel!

@@BrickHouse Sorry I can't make it on July 12th, but I look forward to coming to future meetings!

@@BrickHouse Sorry I can't make it on July 12th, but I look forward to coming to future meetings!

We'll miss you! But we'll be getting together again on August 9 and September 13!

When I had my surgery back in December, I'd just applied for an admin job in my bariatric surgeon's office. The timing wasn't good and they had already made an offer to someone else. I had my six month checkup this week and that "someone else" has moved on... guess who got an on-the-spot interview? I received a phone call a couple hours later and should be getting my formal offer on Monday! I'm so excited to be working so closely with bariatric professionals! It can only help my Quest to pay it forward and help others as I've been helped!

When I had my surgery back in December, I'd just applied for an admin job in my bariatric surgeon's office. The timing wasn't good and they had already made an offer to someone else. I had my six month checkup this week and that "someone else" has moved on... guess who got an on-the-spot interview? I received a phone call a couple hours later and should be getting my formal offer on Monday! I'm so excited to be working so closely with bariatric professionals! It can only help my Quest to pay it forward and help others as I've been helped!

That's awesome news, congrats!!!

Question. I'm having surgery with Trivedi and have CDPHP. They said its a $500 copay and then 10% of the total surgery cost. Anyone know how much that is (approximately)? Or can share what they paid?

Thanks in advance!

I also Have CDPHP a /Medicare PPO plan. My plan has a $550.00 deductible 0nly. There is no other cost to me. Depending on your plan with them it could vary. Is your plan thru your employer?

its through my husband. Plan is an EPO.

I just want to know how much the actual procedure coats so I can approximate 10%. I can't imagine its more than 20k max (so 10% would be $2000). Just want to plan ahead :-). Surgery is this July!

My final bill was $19,000...that was with staying in the hospital 2 nights...my copay was $500...so it looks like your estimate is about right.