Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 6 days post op. Still on liquids and starving. I am getting so down thinking I will never enjoy food again. How does everyone deal with this or it just me? Does anyone else grieve for food??

Yes, it is very hard right after surgery, but it does get easier. I found that, believe it or not, getting moving helped everything. Not just post-surgical discomfort, but it also got me revved up and feeling better and motivated. And I hate exercise. But I started walking (only because my nurse coordinator told me I had to) on the treadmill and added a minute each day. It somehow helps with the hunger, and I don't know why. I also found that right around a week post-op, my body started to adjust to the liquid-only, low-calorie amount I was taking in. I personally got a little more boring with my meals instead of fancier, because there's only so much you can do with liquids. But when I started to plan it and stick to it (and drink LOTS of Water all day long) my stomach stopped complaining all day. I'm averaging 800-900 calories a day right now, and you would not believe how boring my intake is. But it's not that hard, compared to the first week, when I was actually consuming around 1300 a day. I hope some of this helps. It's only my experience. Make sure you're drinking enough Protein -- it really holds you longer. And don't flush it through with Water until at least 30 minutes after drinking it. I like powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chocolate Protein powder. Also, Atkins Dark chocolate Protein shake. Good luck!

Thanks so much. That helps a lot!!

Once you are able to add food, it will get a lot better. I'm 10 months out and haven't found anything really that I can't eat if I chew well and take it slow. I still have a little to lose and could probably lose it faster, but I'm satisfied with slow and easy.

Im only 3 days post op but I have been on the liquid diet for 10 days and have 14 more days to go and its hard but the way I look at it is it will be worth it at the end

there's no going back now I can't wait for the next step of my lap band lifestyle

Remember that every stage is just that, a "stage". Its' s only temporary , NOT forever ! Each stage has a purpose to have the band be a success, and for you to lose the extra weight, which is why you chose to be banded in the 1st place, right ? As far as mourning the food you wont be able to eat, I can still eat 95 % of normal food, I just have to adjust the texture so it goes down easier . Softer, thin textures are fine, thick , chewy ones are not. You, ll find out what works for you in time. Yes, I miss broccoli, but I sure dont miss 65 lbs !

Pink dahlia thank you for those words. I feel encouraged by everyone's support.

I am also 6 days post op and having the same thoughts and feelings. Thank you for sharing !!!

Hang in there, it will get better.

Eventually you'll be able to revisit many of those favourite foods, just at the moment you need to get better. This time next week you'll feel so much better, you really will. I second the advice to keep moving, it does help. Once I could drive again I drove to new places and walked around them for variety, which worked well for me.

Hi there, hope you're feeling better today -- the post-op phase can be tough emotionally. All the hoopla of the surgery is over and now it's a time of waiting for the body to heal up so you can take the next steps.

I'm happy to report that nearly five months out I still really enjoy my food. I just have it in much smaller amounts which (miraculously) I am satisfied with. I really wondered whether it would work for me -- if I would be the one person whose appetite could not be satisfied, etc. Well, it's working great and the more weight I lose the better I feel. I still love to cook and I have fun with my little meals but I am also discovering that there is so much else to life besides eating.

Best wishes to you! Spring is such a great time for renewal and healing.

I am so thankful I found this page. This app on my phone helps me through so much. I feel so uplifted now and am getting some great ideas!!!

I am 9 days post-op and on day 5/6 I got seriously depressed because I was so hungry. I actually told my husband to get me a cheeseburger because I felt like if I didnt consume something with thick substance I was going to flip my lid. (He didnt). I've gotten creative with the Soups and have discovered that I like black bean Soup and you can blend up chili so it's totally liquid - they're both thicker so it helps you feel full over some of the basic broths. I've also kept myself going to the gym every day so that I can keep on track. It's not easy, but this is just a season - for me I know that if I cant be disciplined enough to last 24 days on liquids, then there is no way that I'm going to succeed on this journey. When my tummy rumbles I just grab a popsicle, some Jello or another big glass of crystal light. You can do it, keep pushing through - and know you're not alone!!!

Today, day 21 post-op, I'm not particularly hungrier than normal, but my stomach is making LOUD gurgling sounds at work. And of course I'm sitting right next to someone working together on a project. Sometimes you just have to laugh. 3-1/2 weks left to go before solids. Sigh.......

I mean 3 weeks to go, thank God. The extra half week is the day of my first fill. Scared myself there for a minute.