Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is Global Warning A Hoax!

the subject said "warning" and I was all ready to correct you, but then saw it must have been a typo because you said it correctly in the body of the message :)

I didn't read the article, but I think global warming is a bunch o poppy cock :)

So do I! The earth has been going through warming and cooling cycles since forever, with much greated temperature ranges. I think it's all a bunch of political garbage by the tree hugging crowd!

the subject said "warning" and I was all ready to correct you, but then saw it must have been a typo because you said it correctly in the body of the message :)

I didn't read the article, but I think global warming is a bunch o poppy cock :)

so long you two and thanks for all the fish. I will watch my consumption of resources as much as my lazy American life style allows. Thank-you very much.

Jono, I dont get your coment, What am I missing? What are the fish? I read the article and did not make a conection there either.

maybe the truth is somewhere between the 2 extemes. the world has gone through changes in the past, some of which has lead to mass extinctions etc - or so it is thought. Humans do have the potential to alter the environment that has both a negative and a postve effect for us and other species.

I will not get overly dark about global warming but if I can make my home more energy efficient etc it can only be good. Here in Australia, we are going through a serious drought and are on Water restrctions re car washing, pool filing, garden care etc. the drought is possible made worse by human activity possible a natural cycle but which ever, it is making life tough and could get worse.

It takes approximately 1,000 litres of Water to produce 1 kg of wheat; 2,700 litres of water to produce 1 kg of eggs; 13,500 litres of water to produce 1 kg of beef

If the entire global population were to adopt a western-style diet, about 75% more water would be needed for food production.

http://epaedia.eea.europa.eu/page.php?pid=406

yes some of the stuff that has been put out is alarmist and over done, but we can use what we have to better ends

I use a front loader washn machine that uses less than 20 % of the water my top loader used to use ( is gentler on clothes too!) and if I am sensible about detergent choice I can use the water on the garden and to clean the back yard pavers down ( i have a dog).

do some reading and make up ou own mind where you tink the pendum really sits. the human race has the ability to change the entre environment both in good ways and bad ways but we also say with the asian tsunami and KAtrina, that we can still be pretty powerless at times too

I think we need to use our resourses responsibly, but I wonder about man's ability to change the climate with our C02 emissions. I'm no scientist, but I have read articles from noted scientists that state that burning fossil fuel, etc. can not possible have a global effect on climate because of the vast size and scope of the enviroment. As a former organic farmer, I know first hand how nature can replenish that which is used, and purify that which needs cleansing. I tend to believe them!

I for one have questions for you people that "don't believe in" Global warming.

Does this shirk your responsiblities from saving the environment?

Does this mean that you can waste gas and electricity?

Does this mean we shouldnt try to find alternative resources in fuel?

Why waste time in arguing weither or not Global warming is happening and just find solutions to the problems of smog (really caused by cars and trucks) and the fact that fossil fuels ARE limited?

Lakes and streams REALLY are polluted by industries.

Is there really a point to sit here and say, "lalalala- dont believe you" or hurdle insults at each other?

Jill,

I agree with you 100%! I believe that global warming is a natural thing and the alarmists are using it for political gain. I also believe the we have a responsibility to use the enviroment wisely, clean up pollution and find other energy sources because it is the right thing to do.

I am a fisherman, and I see the difference in Water quality and the amount of fish around compared to 30 - 40 years ago when I was a kid. I also believe that by employing organic methods to agriculture, we can not only reduce chemicals in our food chain, but reduce oil consumption, since chemical nitrogen fertilizers are petroluem based.

I for one have questions for you people that "don't believe in" Global warming.

Does this shirk your responsiblities from saving the environment?

Does this mean that you can waste gas and electricity?

Does this mean we shouldnt try to find alternative resources in fuel?

Why waste time in arguing weither or not Global warming is happening and just find solutions to the problems of smog (really caused by cars and trucks) and the fact that fossil fuels ARE limited?

Lakes and streams REALLY are polluted by industries.

Is there really a point to sit here and say, "lalalala- dont believe you" or hurdle insults at each other?

bascally thats what I was saying Wavydaby. At the moment we can all find scientists that can quote plausible arguments for both options. My personal opionon ( and its only that) is that life is rarely black and white ( or hot and cold!) so we need to be aware of both sides of the story. accept that they may not be sure about what is happening now unitl many years, decades, centuries down the path. With that in mind we then need to be as responsible as we can about the resources we each consume.

There are some very interesting sites around like the ones that show Water and power consumption used indirectly in manufacturing etc. I have switched over years ago to energy conserving light bulbs ( mini fluros) now I have found that LED technolgy is better still! more expensive at the moment like mini fluros were originally by they are at least 5 times more efficient, by producing far less heat. so as I can afford to change over I will.

I did not see any insults thrown around either at the moment and I hope it doesn't happen- did just see the tree hugger comment and it is not useful so i ignored it!. I did not understand the quip about the fish but i don't think that was an insult either. at the moment I don't even think this rates as a RANT or RAVE, jsut an off topic discussion. is someone hoping to spark off another rant by picking a tpoc that tends to have polarized views. If this is a genuine discussion it is worthwhile but f it is an attempt to start another trail of insults as has happened before its more toxic than industrial pollution and should stop now. hopefully it is what I frst thought and an genuine attempt to share views

Karen,

I was the one who opened the thread and I thought it would be an interesting topic to discuss. No intent to cause argument or name calling. I also used the term "tree-hugger" because it is an expression that I have heard to describe a fringe element that is very radical in their idiology about the enviroment. It was not directed at any one in particular and no harm was intended. The subject is something that effects us all so I thought it would make good conservation!

thats the way I interpreted it Ron. I really went back to look for the supposed insults and tree hugger was the closest I could find and thats the only reason mentioned it at all. There have been some very spiteful debate that have been very personal at times on this board and I jsut don't want to see what could be an interesting topic turned into its own toxic waste thread.

AS I said, in my first post, I lean between the 2 extremes. I know that there have been a lot of different clmatic events in the hstory of the world and that humans have only been around for a short part of that. guess there are a few issues.

whether we cause it or not, we can be victims of the current warming cycle. Hence my interst in the subject. I do alsoe think that we do have more of an ablity to nfluence our environment for both good and bad than every before and more than any other species on earth. we are makng attempts to alter the way nature works. What we do today may not have a huge effect in the geologcal timelline 1000 yrs from now but then agan we may have made it a bit worse or a bit better- thats where I think we are at the moment. we can and do make small changes and it s up to us which direction we go

I posted the "lalala-blah blah" in an attempt to hope that this DOESN'T digress in to a "woe to the non-beliver" bashing thread.

Sometimes around here, it does go there.

What possible political gain? Please enlighten me on that, I can not for a minute see where anyone could not deduce that humans are having an incredible effect on our enviroment. But on the other hand I forgot about David Suzuki and all of the money he is bringing in using those alarmist scare tactics. NOT!!!!

Honestly it has just occured to me that I can't take this bullshit any more. If you refuse to see what is right in front of your face then you deserve what you get. Piss off, okay, for once think of the whole planet stop being so small minded. Stop ruinning my world find another one to destroy. Global warming is happening and we are to blame. Show me a scientist who refutes this and I will bet they are paid by some large corporation who is raping the enviroment and pumping the atmosphere full of CO'2. Anyone who say's that the atmosphere is to large for us to have any impact on it is betting that we are idiots and that we are stupid enough to believe that crap. Stop reading the bullshit that helps you prove your narrow point of view and start reading the honest scientific data that shows we are ruining the place.

Enough already

There is plenty of scientific data on both sides of the argument, and I personally think that the overwelming evidence points to global warming being a normal occurence, just as it has always been. That's my opinion, and you are entitled to yours.

As far as politican, and financial gain, does the name Al Gore ring a bell? He claims to have all the facts, but refuses to debate scientists that completely disagree with him, and have facts to back up their conviction. Again, that's my opinion, and you are entitled to yours.