Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weighing (no pun intended) My Options

Hi all,

I'm considering having a gastric bypass. I currently have the band but it has done nothing for me and Slimband has been the worst to deal with.

I'm currently on the Bariatic Registry List in Ontario and have my first consultation in June.

I'm just looking for some advice from those who have been through it.

It really scares me because I've heard the nightmares of people dying.

The recovery I can deal with. I've had 4 surgeries with Slimband re: complications.

I want to hear from everyone, the good, bad and ugly.

I'm also worried about the access skin after weight loss.

Hi all,

I'm considering having a gastric bypass. I currently have the band but it has done nothing for me and Slimband has been the worst to deal with.

I'm currently on the Bariatic Registry List in Ontario and have my first consultation in June.

I'm just looking for some advice from those who have been through it.

It really scares me because I've heard the nightmares of people dying.

The recovery I can deal with. I've had 4 surgeries with Slimband re: complications.

I want to hear from everyone, the good, bad and ugly.

I'm also worried about the access skin after weight loss.

I can't give advice on going from a band to RNY, but I can tell you about RNY. I had mine on 6/25/2013. I had a laproscopic procedure. I had what I would term a very easy recovery. I was back to work in three weeks, and could have gone back sooner. I was only in the hospital overnight. It has been hugely successful for me. At my first consultation I weighed 331 pounds, I am only 5'2". I currently weigh 151 pounds, and am still losing weight. To get here I follow my eating plan very closely and I exercise every day, some days twice in a day. It is NOT EASY. But the work has been so worth it! I have my life back!

Regarding excess skin, I am struggling with that. My arms are especially bad. I do not know what, if anything I will do in the future. For now I am concentrating on how great I feel, the energy I have and how I no longer have knee pain or back pain. That alone is worth the skin issue!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
    • jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 4 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

3. NickelChip

I hope it goes well! Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

4. AmberFL

How are you doing? any update?!

• jparadigm

Hello lovlies!
      Today is a beautiful day in west Michigan! I hope you all have a beautiful Tuesday and rest of your week!! 🤗
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches