Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can anyone help me run faster? I started a Couch to 5K program in January and am just finishing it up. My daughter asked me to run in a 5k with her for Mother's Day. I have the endurance part down and can run for 30 minutes. I've moved from the treadmill to running outside over hilly terrain ("hills are our friends" my Boston Marathon running pal tells me) but I am very slow. I have short legs and am even a slow walker. I will be lucky if I can finish the 5K in 45 minutes. Today was the worse! While I was really pushing myself to work on my speed, I hear someone behind me. It's this guy who must have been at least 85 years old. And he was walking! And he passed me and I couldn't catch up with him. I'm totally devastated! This really did a mind game on my running. I really think its great that I can run for half an hour straight, when I started, I remember the 90 second run was a stretch! But I would like to have a more reasonable pace. <sigh>. So while I can run for longer and longer times, I can't seem to get any faster.

I watched a documentary about this. To run faster you have to strengthen and lengthen your hamstring. Now we can't actually grow any more but you can lengthen your hamstring by properly stretching. You can look up exercises that target your hamstrings to stretch and strengthen.

Also as a woman we tend not to run correctly. We have a side-to-side motion. So concentrate on keeping your body aligned and move your arms in sync with your legs with your hands reaching up towards your ears and elbows kept close. Then think about taking larger steps. Stretch it just a little bit. After you get used to that, stretch that stride just a little more. Look up exercises for hip flexors. Having loose hips will also help your stride.

Best of luck reaching your goal!

Join a running club.

Join a running group. Since you are in the Boston area, I KNOW you will have dozens of different groups catering to people of all levels. I'm not talking about the casual group which gets together on Monday nights and then hits the bar after ... but the ones where they have a track night where you can focus on speed and form. Learn how to stretch properly and get advice to prevent/recover from injury.

I joined one here in Portland and we had Saturday morning runs of varying lengths covering different terrains. On Wednesday, we would have track night where we solely worked on speed and/or form. We had about 100 people all together which were broken down by pace going from the 7 and under minute per mile all the way up to 18 minute per mile breaking into categories by the minute.

I was able to go from an 8:30 pace down to 7:00, but I'm a little crazy ...

Glad to know running clubs will take someone at an 18 minute mile. I guess I'm afraid everyone will be much more experienced and faster than I am. I do take yoga, to keep me flexible. I find that running tends to leave me feeling like I've compacted my body and I need to stretch it out. I also didn't realize that about the hamstrings. I read that you are not supposed to take long strides, but run shorter, frequent strides. I have a nice loop from my house into town and back that is about 3.5 miles of hilly and flat terrain, so in addition to prepping for the 5k, I just think it would be nice to be able to run that loop on a regular basis in a reasonable period of time.

My information was for track running. Forgot to say that. Sorry. I won't disagree with shorter strides for running terrain. Don't have knowledge of that.

Make sure you have really good shoes. My speed picked up when I got the proper foot attire. Go to a running store and have them analyze your foot to get the proper shoes

Not sure anyone mentioned this, but spend time on a treadmill playing with different speeds at different intensities. It helped me get fast running times. Sprinting short bursts really helps. If you do not have a really good pair of running shoes, spend the 100 and fitting time to get a perfect pair - for you. My running shoes are Nike Pegasus and I actually have two pair. They feel really good when running 5 k or 10 k at competitive speeds. They feel equally good when busting out a sub 5 minute mile. Also a lot of people look like they are jogging when out there running. Running fast should not be that comfortable; you have to really push yourself, lengthen the strides, time your breathing, shooting yourself forward with very little lateral movement. Let gravity help you by leaning forward a little, stabilize your core region and use your hip rotators to generate the drive, relaxing everything else above and below your core region. Hope this helps.

Edited by Fiddleman

Well I am still running, which I suppose is what is really important. Most of the time I am running over hilly terrain but I do hit the treadmill once in awhile to do some interval training. Varying my pace, pushing myself to "sprint" a bit and then allowing myself to walk for 90 seconds seems to be helping. first race is now less than 2 weeks away. I'll let you know how I do.

When I finished C25k I wasn't happy with my speed. I was so focused on distance that I didn't even realize I was slow. I did the program over and focused on speed. I logged all my paces and loved watching them get better. I started at at 14min mile and now do an avg of 11:15. I'd like to get it a 10 min mile but that is a ways away. Good luck!

I read that if you want to run faster, then run faster. Sounds ridiculous but it just might work. Maybe you could start your couch to 5k again and with your added endurance, you'll be able to run those short runs faster and then work from there. Hope this helps.

Have you seriously talked with some of the runner groups or walker groups there? There are running stores that you can get fitted for shoes for your gait.

Have you seriously talked with some of the runner groups or walker groups there? There are running stores that you can get fitted for shoes for your gait.

I got fitted for my running shoes at Marathon Sports on Boylston Street in Boston. I have ASICS GT 2000 that they fitted to my rather odd shaped "duck feet" (wide toe, narrow heel). Nearly everyone here runs or has run at some point in their life. No one thinks I should even worry about speed at this point, its all about building a running habit and going the distance. I have a marathoner friend at work who checks in on how often and how far I'm running. When I hit 3 miles at a pace that is a crawl, he said joyously "you've got your 5K!" and had no concern about how long it will take me. Its all about how far I can run. He also has no concern if I push for a longer distance and end up walking a mile or two. Our dietician team has several runners as does our surgery support group. They are all about just going the distance and running it regularly. Most of the running clubs here are fairly serious, experienced runners, or what they refer to as elite runners. You are expected to run at least a 10 min. mile just to keep up, some clubs allow runners that will pace at 12. Most of their weekly training runs are at least 10K. I'm just not there yet and have not found a club for true beginners. What I am getting from all the runners around me is NOT to worry about pace. Build endurance first. They tell me to find my VO2 - the point at which my oxygen consumption is maximized and I can complete a sustained run, feel like I can run forever, just like one feels they can walk a great distance. I am a natural swimmer and I could literally swim for miles so I can identify with how a runner is able to run for miles at a steady pace without struggling. Your heart literally needs to get bigger. Once that happens, work on pace. I used the Bluefin C25K Ap which was recommended to me by one of my fellow WLS patients and at the advice of one of our running dieticians, took it a little slower than the 8 weeks the program is built on as I started training only a few months out of surgery. I am very lucky because my home is just a block away from a USATF certified 5K and 10K course, great hilly terrain, a nice loop into town in back, not much traffic, literally in my backyard. There is a 6.8 mile rail trail that is flat trail and that is a good place to build pace (because running on hills is a great training but your pace will vary quite a bit). I'm 58 years old and never having run before, I do find it hard on my knees and hips so though I run at least 2 times a week, I also cross-train with Pilates and Yoga. In the winter, I ski regularly. And for several months in the summer, I will swim and bike. If I just ran 3-5 times a week, I probably would get more experience and faster, but I find my body needs the cross-training and I need the variety. I've reached my goal of being able to actually run the 5K loop by my house, not fast but able to do it. Now I need to work on sustaining my practice and increasing my pace. I'm not going to give up training on hills just to go faster because as all runners know "hills are our friends" and it feels so good when you reach the crest the hill. So when I run my first 5K, I expect to finish later than most people, perhaps even to be bringing up the tail, and I expect I may need to walk for 60-90 seconds 2 or 3 times during the race, but I totally expect to be still running when I cross my first finish line.

They're right on the distance. All around here, including the ultra people, build up for distance first. Then they do time.

Swimming is quite different from running. In swimming, if you flip turn you get a break. You don't have to work for 10-15 yards after the turn. The Water floats your body when the pounding is what you get otherwise.

I think you have a great and wise head on your shoulders. You have a workout that is fabulous. Lets be honest, over 55 years of age and starting out there is not ONE person who is not going to cheer you on and tell you to push it.

Although I could ask the Legend around here if you are interested. Look up Mel Williams PhD. He's run every Marine Corp, and he's in his 70's. Mel is outstanding. I served on the board of the Tidewater Striders with him. A great man ... I could ask him and see if he'd be willing to give you something if you wanted. I personally can't see anything wrong with what you're doing.