Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A couple questions: WLS Friendly Restaurants and Ice

Hello My fellow GB family,

I have a couple questions

Question 1

I will be 4 weeks post op on Wednesday and we are heading to Orlando for spring break for 5 days next weekend. We aren't going to any parks but we will be in a hotel room with no kitchen, so cooking is kind of out of the question. What are some WLS freindly restaurants that offer foods that are low carb/low fat/low sugar. I am in stage 2, which is soft foods that I can cut with a fork.

Question 2

I am constantly thirsty, and sipping just does not help. I've started sucking on ice chips. Does anyone else do this and is it ok?

Thanks family!!

My out to eat savior has been grilled chicken wraps from Wendy's and McDonalds. It's less than $2 and I just pull out the chicken. Mexican restaurants are easy because you can order Beans. Or if you go somewhere like chipotle or Moe's you can order a taco in a bowl with Beans and chicken. I haven't really done a lot of sit down restaurants yet but almost everywhere serves some sort of grilled chicken or fish. My husband has been really good about ordering something I can eat and just letting me nibble on his food.

I'm thirsty all the time too. My mouth is so dry and I have to put lip balm on like every 30 mins. I haven't tried sucking on ice though. I might have to try that.

Edited by Wallflower7522

Hello My fellow GB family,

I have a couple questions

Question 1

I will be 4 weeks post op on Wednesday and we are heading to Orlando for spring break for 5 days next weekend. We aren't going to any parks but we will be in a hotel room with no kitchen, so cooking is kind of out of the question. What are some WLS freindly restaurants that offer foods that are low carb/low fat/low sugar. I am in stage 2, which is soft foods that I can cut with a fork.

Question 2

I am constantly thirsty, and sipping just does not help. I've started sucking on ice chips. Does anyone else do this and is it ok?

Thanks family!!

Hi,

I am 9 months out. Eating out is very hard, and I feel for you having to do do all three meals out. I would suggest you look for a Protein bar that you like so that you can eat one for a meal. I like Pure Protein Bars which I find at Target. As for restaunants, I have found the half of a small cup of Wendy's chili works well, I prefer Culvers chili, but I don't know if they are in Florida. Perkins also works well. I just order one or two scrambled eggs, and request that they use egg beaters (this would probably work at many restaunants). Hopefully, you can find some low calorie Greek Yogurt at a convenience store since that makes a good meal. I have also eaten at Applebees, but not that early on. I try to eat at national chains because it makes it easier to research thier menu on line before I go to the restaunant so I know exactly how much of what I am ordering I can eat.

As for Water, other than the first couple of weeks, I never needed to sip. I just drink Water like I always have. Now, maybe you mean that you can't keep a sip down, then I would think that ice chips would be fine. I can down a 20 ounce glass of water in about 15 minutes if I want to (I usually drink it much slower though).

Hope this helps! Enjoy sunny Florida - I'm stuck in cold Minnesota!!

Carol

Ice is a life saver to me, especially when traveling

The hospital gave me ice chips right after surgery, and I eat sugar free popsicles all the time. Just be sure they melt completely so you don't swallow hard chunks

Bob Evans beefy veg Soup ( leave out the corn) Wendy's chili, jr Arby's ( I only eat half the bun) grilled nuggets from Chickfil-o.

I live on shrimp cocktails ... My go to at many dinners out! But I am 4 months out now. It would be hard every meal on vacation. If u have access to an oven... Break up a GNC Quest bar and broil it for a minute! Taste awesome! Drink an Isopure daily ( 40 grams of protein.). The apple melon is good.. My favorite "out" fast food is Boston Market.. Not shown on the menu but ask to purchase only the 1/4 white meat for $4.59 .. Gives us 49 grams of protein.. Good luck and enjoy the vacation!

Thanks for all the good suggestions, everyone. I, too, travel a bit and those are all really good suggestions. I also plan to take along several of my Protein drinks and my own non-perishable Snacks when I travel.

I have no trouble eating out. Some of my favorite foods are: shrimp cocktail, baked fish, pan seared scallops, steamed clams, chowder, baked sweet potato, steamed or grilled veggies, meatballs, burrito bowl (burrito contents minus the tortilla), burger w/o bun, chili, scrambled eggs w/cheese and veggies, quiche, meatloaf, French onion Soup. You can usually find a safe option just about anywhere.

While out for any length of time I carry Protein bars and high Protein Snacks like CrunchO's. You can find single-serve containers of hummus or Oscar Mayer lunchables at convenience stores and grocery stores. I'm going to Southern CA in a few weeks. I'll be staying at a hotel that has a small fridge in the room so I can pick up some Greek yogurt and ready to drink Atkins shakes to have for a quick meal or snack.< /p>