Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My turn -- I've slipped

Under the fluoroscope this morning, there it was, clear as day. My band has slipped down and nothing was going through. Surgery is indicated, since I had so little Fluid in the band that an unfill is unlikely to make any difference.

Monday I'll be on the table, and I gather that's when the doctor will determine whether it can be repaired, replaced then, or must be removed altogether for healing. If the last happens, my band days are probably over, since I doubt my insurance will pay for replacement on someone with a BMI of 30.

I'll keep you all posted. Thanks for any good thoughts you want to send my way. :nervous

I'm so sorry to hear that. You had been fearing a slip for a while, hadn't you? I know you (I think?) had been having some reflux problems, but had you not been able to get food down?

I am really sorry to hear about your slip and hope that your surgery and its outcome will be what you would like. Good wishes to you!

Kando

The weird thing is that I last had a fluoroscopy in December and things were just fine then. This slip happened in the last three months, and I can't point to any specific incident. Starting about a month ago, though, I had esophagitis and reflux, and subsequently was unable to eat much of anything. I've been living on Protein shakes, Protein Bars, Soup, and yogurt for the last several weeks.

As for whether they can repair/replace it right there, I sure hope so. The doctor said it depends on what they find when they get in. Fingers crossed!! I'd be thrilled with an empty band for the rest of my life.

Sorry to hear that Alexandra!!! I am very glad to hear that it isn't eroded though.

I hope and pray that you can keep your band or get a new one.

Since your band has barely any fill, let's hope that the surgeon is able to repair it. You're already a success story and inspiration. Good luck on Monday!

I am so sorry Alexandra! It was really emotional time for me when I found out my band slipped. Luckily, they were able to reposition. I will send all my positive thoughts your way that your band can be saved as well! Your progress has been great.

My doctor told me that insurance would probably pay even tho I am now a low bmi for another type of surgery if done at the same time. Check with your drs office it seems that they can make it work with the way they submit it. Good Luck .Becky

Whew! I just spoke to the doc's office and they told me that even if I can't have the band replaced until months later, it's likely that the carrier would pay for it. Yay! The reason would have to be "mechanical defect" as opposed to something I did, but she said that's actually usually the reason for a slip this far out without obvious behavioral causes.

So that's a load off my mind. Whatever happens Monday, I'm going to be glad to be feeling better. :biggrin1:

Oh no!!! I am so sorry!

How much Fluid did you have in your band? How long do you think it has been slipped? I assume you were totally unfilled? I know you said there wasn't much in there but was the remaining Fluid unfilled and will they do fluoro before the surgery?

I had been totally unfilled last year from September through December, and in December had a fluoroscopy test and a small fill. At that time, everything was in place and fine. The amount of fill added back then was only about .5 ccs.

And that's how things were until about a month ago when I started having symptoms of esophagitis, which resolved with Prevacid, and reflux, which didn't resolve. So this morning I had another fluoroscopy test and that's when they found the slip and removed what little fill I did have. Already I can tell the difference with that fluid removed; I'm drinking more readily and have been able to take in more nourishment. Really, over the past month I think I was flirting with malnutrition because liquid and very soft stuff was all I could handle, and not much of either.

I don't think removal of the tiny amount of fluid I had in the band will be enough to make any difference, so there wouldn't be any point in having another fluoro before surgery. I'm going to talk with the doctor, of course, and let him know my ideal situation (replace it on the spot with a VG band) and how I feel about other options. I'm reconciled to the idea that surgery is necessary--part of me even feels that it's a good thing that my doctor will go back in to put things right.

So even though this has been on my "worst fears" list for a long time, it turns out that it's not anywhere near as frightening as I thought it would be. It feels fine, I trust my doctor, I'm reassured that my insurance will cover things, and my health can be my first priority.