Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low BMI and Gastric Sleeve

I had my surgery almost 6 months ago. I've lost 60 lb and feel great. Off my BP meds and lipid panel is normal for the first time in my life. I lost a lot of hair but that finally stopped. I cut it shorter and it looks better and what i have left is healthy hair.

I went through a stall that lasted for 5 weeks but i just kept doing what I'm supposed to and it eventually broke. I realized stalls are good. They are your body's way of trying to set a new weight setpoint. If my weight loss continued at that pace i would waste away to nothing. I'd still like to lose another 30lb or so, and I'm sure I'll get there. I'm in a losing phase again, but feel good that i probably won't waste away. Lol My body will adjust and i look and feel great. Some people at work call me "skinny." That's something i don't ever recall anyone calling me! Right now i wear a size 14 or a large, but my large scrubs are starting to get too big so I'll have to buy new ones again soon. Not that i mind! :)

Stalls don't worry me much, nor my surgeon, they are just part of the journey. A journey I'm so proud of myself that i had the courage to take. NO REGRETS!

Edited by dsmith_rn

I have a bmi of 30 and I cannot wait to get this done. Do I do sleeve or band? 4 kids and bad habits have put an extra 60lbs on my 5.5" frame. I am 181 and would love to see the 130"s again.

I know band is less invasive but it seems like so many people regret going that route?

My BMI is 32 and my surgery is scheduled for December 2nd. Here in Australia the cutoff is 30 with co-morbiditities for a few surgeons.

When I saw the dietitian to get my pre and post op eating info the first thing she said was "Can I ask......was your doctor reluctant at all?"

The answer is "no".

I am on the very edge of qualifying for this surgery, I'm aware of this.

My family are beyond supportive because they "know" me and are aware this is VERY heavy for me. I am 10KG (22 pounds) heavier than I was at 9 months pregnant. I have a very small frame.....you just can't tell this with all the fat (44% by my scale) I'm carrying around. I also have a family history of diabetes and high blood pressure.

My mother had lap band surgery ten years ago and says it's the best thing she ever did for herself. She is so very excited for me.

I've decided to tell everyone, other than family, that I'm having surgery to have my gall bladder removed. I actually had it removed 8 years ago but no one remembers that.

I have a 40 bmi and when I was talking to people about the surgery they all said "you're not that fat" or "why are you even thinking about that"

When I made the decision to have vsg I only told a couple of people. Since I have to be off work for 6 weeks - some people know that I had surgery. Right now they are all assuming that I had a hysterectomy. I haven't corrected them. I don't know what I am going to say when I go back to work.

I told my dad the day I had surgery. He was very supportive but his wife sent me a message that said she was shocked because i wasn't even that big. I haven't responded to her message. I'm sure she doesn't mean anything by it.

I have a 40 bmi and when I was talking to people about the surgery they all said "you're not that fat" or "why are you even thinking about that"

When I made the decision to have vsg I only told a couple of people. Since I have to be off work for 6 weeks - some people know that I had surgery. Right now they are all assuming that I had a hysterectomy. I haven't corrected them. I don't know what I am going to say when I go back to work.

I told my dad the day I had surgery. He was very supportive but his wife sent me a message that said she was shocked because i wasn't even that big. I haven't responded to her message. I'm sure she doesn't mean anything by it.

I've had a lot of people say the same to me. It's frustrating because they don't understand. I started at 42.2 but during my 6 month preop, I lost 43 lbs and am now a 38.4 bmi. I've been asked by several if I won't do surgery now. I still have 90-100 lbs to go! I've made it this far...I'm not backing out now!

I do think some folks don't know how to respond to info that one is going to have WLS. Saying "you're not THAT fat" seems an auto response and one we should never take personally. On this site, I have seen BMIs all over the board, some of which I might say. "OMG, you are not THAT fat!" And that some might say the same thing to me of my BMI. Bottom line, we all know the similar history and self hatred.... We want to be better. To be whole. Thank goodness for BP!

Yeah, I get the " you re not that fat"" comment all the time.....

I had a BMI of 39 with no comorbidities. (My BP was creeping up and my feet and ankles and knees hurt all the time, but nothing that "counts"). All of my family and friends knew about my surgery beforehand. They know how many diets I've been on, so although they were concerned with surgical risks, they all supported my decision. And I tell anyone that asks about my weight loss that I had surgery. I don't think it's right to mislead people into thinking I just did it with diet and exercise. Since I see a dozen clients everyday, this means I've told hundreds of people and have gotten exactly 2 negative comments. But I have heard the "you weren't big enough for surgery" comment quite a bit.

My work partner gets to hear these comments and discussions everyday. I mentioned to her last week how surprised people who thought I wasn't "fat enough" are to learn I lost 100 pounds. She agreed it was a surprise to her because didn't even really realize how big I really was. People just get used to seeing you a certain way and don't really notice all the extra weight until it's gone. But when all is said and done, I am healthier and I feel great and that's what I tell people.

My BMI is at 40 now, the last 10 yrs ive been between 200 and 250. Insurance is covering my surgery even tho I have no co-morbiditiys. Very grateful. Ive been able to lose 40...30...20lbs but ALWAYS get it back. Im ready to ROCK my sleeve! Ive researched a lot and have noticed many lower BMI sleevers have reached goal in about a year. Excited! Hard core for a year, it will fly by and Ill be happier, healthier, vibrant, and confident! Woot woot (surgery in 2 days...hence the delirium)

Hi all! I'm 6 months out, I've lost 60 lb and about 15-20 more to go. I'm in a really bad stall. My surgeon is happy with my progress but he says the stalls will be more frequent now and the weight will come off much more slowly.

Do most low-BMI folks lose all their excess weight?

I have some fear that this is it...I won't lose any more and might even start to gain some back (although that hasn't happened yet, I'm able to eat more now so I'm a little fearful). I'm pretty happy with where I am, but I'd sure like to lose that last 20 lb!

I just had my sleeve surgery last week with a BMI of 36.1. My insurance approved the surgery due to my sleep apnea. Ever doctor I needed to see (Family Practice, Pulmonology, Sleep Medicine) jokingly told me I was the skinniest patient having this surgery. I'm 57 and choose to be proactive before I ended up like my mother who has COPD, is an insulin dependent diabetic, has heart disease and morbid obesity. I've chosen to only tell a very few people outside my immediate family. I didn't want to have to explain my choice to people who think I'm "skinny". Just keep focused on your journey and ignore the people who don't truly appreciate the health issues associated with even mild morbid obesity.

You don't need to give anyone a reason for what you do. It is your decision. Say something like, "Oh, I had no idea you were an expert in the field of what is best for me!" It normally shuts people up.

:P

Hello,

I'm a newbie as well I just received my referral to the Options program at Kaiser So Cal. My BMI is 39.5, 225lbs no other health conditions other than aches and pain in my knees, hips and ankles. In very nervous KP will deny my surgery.

Anyone in the same boat?

With a BMI if 35, I get the "you don't need it" or "you're not that big" comment a lot which has led to me not being as open to other people about the surgery. Thankfully, all my family has been nothing but supportive. Can't wait for my surgery on Monday.

I am 35 years old and I currently have a BMI of 34. I have been every BMI number from my highest BMI of 40 to my lowest BMI of 25 (with the help of prescription meds,diet, and lots of EXERCISE). I have been on this diet roller coster for 20 + years and I am done with it! I am done with the feelings of guilt for eating a peice of MY birthday cake, I am tired of working my butt off to lose just a little bit of weight and low and behold gain it back and then some! i am totally done with my cholesterol being 280!!!!!!!!!!! I am tired of being on dangerous diets, starving myself, running till my knees are completely sore and the plantar faciatis flares up, taking amphetamine prescription meds that are surly not doing my body good, all to gain it all back! Why wait till my BMI is back up to 40 or more and all the comorbidities that go with it? Why wait till you have stretched all your skin out and have to have MORE surgery to remove it? Why abuse your body until that magical day when you are totally unhealthy and can NOW have the surgery because NOW everyone is ok with it? Why not take care of business now and get on with living life? So as of Jan 13,2015, GAME OVER! This girl is getting off the roller coaster and getting on with life! I cannot wait for this new way of eating and living! See this is a change for the rest of our lives not till this diet ends or till I get to goal! It's FOREVER and I can't wait!! ???????? I pray and hope that you all have the best success and I applaude you all for being advocates of YOUR own health!

I am 35 years old and I currently have a BMI of 34. I have been every BMI number from my highest BMI of 40 to my lowest BMI of 25 (with the help of prescription meds,diet, and lots of EXERCISE). I have been on this diet roller coster for 20 + years and I am done with it! I am done with the feelings of guilt for eating a peice of MY birthday cake, I am tired of working my butt off to lose just a little bit of weight and low and behold gain it back and then some! i am totally done with my cholesterol being 280!!!!!!!!!!! I am tired of being on dangerous diets, starving myself, running till my knees are completely sore and the plantar faciatis flares up, taking amphetamine prescription meds that are surly not doing my body good, all to gain it all back! Why wait till my BMI is back up to 40 or more and all the comorbidities that go with it? Why wait till you have stretched all your skin out and have to have MORE surgery to remove it? Why abuse your body until that magical day when you are totally unhealthy and can NOW have the surgery because NOW everyone is ok with it? Why not take care of business now and get on with living life? So as of Jan 13,2015, GAME OVER! This girl is getting off the roller coaster and getting on with life! I cannot wait for this new way of eating and living! See this is a change for the rest of our lives not till this diet ends or till I get to goal! It's FOREVER and I can't wait!! I pray and hope that you all have the best success and I applaude you all for being advocates of YOUR own health!

OMG! You've totally nailed it! THIS is exactly how I feel.