Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling worried after not sticking to pre op liquid diet

Hi everyone,

I was due to have my operation on 25th March and was told to do the liquid diet for 7 days before which I did.

I went to the hospital and was there from 7.30am. There was a women who was being operated on before me. She had already lost 12 stone and so they were removing excess skin but there were complications plus they had messed up booking in a 6-8 hour operation in as being 2-4 hours. They sent another patient home who was waiting for a balloon and I went down to theatre at 4.15pm. They gave me general anaesthetic but when I woke up they said that the surgeons and knifes were ready but there had been a power cut and the back up generators had kicked in but as they hadn't quite started they decided it was to big a risk to take.

Then they told me they might be able to do it on 27th March (Thursday) but then that wasn't possible so I am now booked in for next Tuesday 1st April (April fools day, great!). So I'm feeling angry and disappointed and not confident in the staff.

I was told I could eat sensibly Thursday and then go back to the yoghurt diet today but I didn't eat sensibly. I have cheated and eaten more than I should yesterday and then today I've stuck to it apart from having one chocolate bar.

If I stick to the liquid diet for the next three days do you think my liver will still shrink and the operation will be safe? I'm so upset with myself as had stuck to it so well last week with no cheating but felt so disappointed I think I gave up a little.

Anyone else not stuck to liquid diet but still went ahead with operation? Should I be worried and tell the surgeon? If I tell them could my operation be cancelled again? Feeling so upset and disheartened today and very worried about now having the operation, please help.

Thanks, Gemma

I would say stick to it now but tell your surgeon about your little blip so he is aware. So sorry to hear you have been messed about like that.

I can't tell you about the liquid diet stuff, but WOW would I be upset if I had been prepped, taken to surgery, and then wake up to find out it didn't happen!!

Wow...I'm sorry you're going through this!

Thanks willow and Wendy, I just hope I haven't messed up for this coming Tuesday.

I did the 2 week pre op liquid diet twice. The first time they cancelled me because of a emergency surgery. Then I had to do it again....1 month of shakes. it was horrible but I made it through.

Just tell the surgeon the little mistake and he will decide if it is safe or not. I really don't think 1 chocolate bar a surgery will cancel...Best to ask anyway though! :)

Hi RJS, that must have been a nightmare although I found the end part of the first week easier. I wish I hadn't of eaten anything but its done now I guess.

I did the 2 week pre op liquid diet twice. The first time they cancelled me because of a emergency surgery. Then I had to do it again....1 month of shakes. it was horrible but I made it through.

Just tell the surgeon the little mistake and he will decide if it is safe or not. I really don't think 1 chocolate bar a surgery will cancel...Best to ask anyway though! :)

Hi everyone,

I was due to have my operation on 25th March and was told to do the liquid diet for 7 days before which I did.

I went to the hospital and was there from 7.30am. There was a women who was being operated on before me. She had already lost 12 stone and so they were removing excess skin but there were complications plus they had messed up booking in a 6-8 hour operation in as being 2-4 hours. They sent another patient home who was waiting for a balloon and I went down to theatre at 4.15pm. They gave me general anaesthetic but when I woke up they said that the surgeons and knifes were ready but there had been a power cut and the back up generators had kicked in but as they hadn't quite started they decided it was to big a risk to take.

Then they told me they might be able to do it on 27th March (Thursday) but then that wasn't possible so I am now booked in for next Tuesday 1st April (April fools day, great!). So I'm feeling angry and disappointed and not confident in the staff.

I was told I could eat sensibly Thursday and then go back to the yoghurt diet today but I didn't eat sensibly. I have cheated and eaten more than I should yesterday and then today I've stuck to it apart from having one chocolate bar.

If I stick to the liquid diet for the next three days do you think my liver will still shrink and the operation will be safe? I'm so upset with myself as had stuck to it so well last week with no cheating but felt so disappointed I think I gave up a little.

Anyone else not stuck to liquid diet but still went ahead with operation? Should I be worried and tell the surgeon? If I tell them could my operation be cancelled again? Feeling so upset and disheartened today and very worried about now having the operation, please help.

Thanks, Gemma

I was told if my liver was not small enough when I was cut open the Dr. would not operate on me. So I'm kind of in your shoes. I've not had anything solid but I've consumed a few slushes. I have heard that is not good because they are full of sugar and sugar keeps the liver large. I've also had regular pudding. Ugh! So I still have 9 days to go and praying by then my liver is plenty small.

I'd be honest with my doctor. Good luck!

Edited by Pretty_In_Purple

Yes that's what I was told about sugar and carbs. If you still have 9 days left and stick to it you should be ok as I was only asked to do the diet for 7 days. I hope it goes well for both of us.

Hi everyone,

Thanks, Gemma

I was told if my liver was not small enough when I was cut open the Dr. would not operate on me. So I'm kind of in your shoes. I've not had anything solid but I've consumed a few slushes. I have heard that is not good because they are full of sugar and sugar keeps the liver large. I've also had regular pudding. Ugh! So I still have 9 days to go and praying by then my liver is plenty small.

I'd be honest with my doctor. Good luck!

Im not a dr. but I think you shall be fine. My Bariatric Program only request you to be on liquid two days before and clear liquid the day before. You just have to remain at your goal weight or lower. Get your head back in this game girly and start over. You can do this!!! You have come so far! This is going to be a journey full of bumps and hiccups. This is just one of those. Back to liquids and no cheating. Remember food can no longer be your comfort after Surgery when you have disappointments. You will need to find a new comfort whatever that may be (healthy, I hope) You will be fine. Good luck to you with your surgery!

Thanks butterflypinup, I will for sure stick to it from now on. No more cheating :)

Im not a dr. but I think you shall be fine. My Bariatric Program only request you to be on liquid two days before and clear liquid the day before. You just have to remain at your goal weight or lower. Get your head back in this game girly and start over. You can do this!!! You have come so far! This is going to be a journey full of bumps and hiccups. This is just one of those. Back to liquids and no cheating. Remember food can no longer be your comfort after Surgery when you have disappointments. You will need to find a new comfort whatever that may be (healthy, I hope) You will be fine. Good luck to you with your surgery!

don't beat yourself up! I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason. your surgery didn't happen for a reason. keep on the Clear Liquids and roll with the surgery. i am so sorry that this happened. i would be one angry person had that happened to me. however, it was for a reason. praying for your success!!

mississippi girl!

thanks Mississippi girl. I believe as well everything happens for a reason but its just been difficult to except.

don't beat yourself up! I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason. your surgery didn't happen for a reason. keep on the Clear Liquids and roll with the surgery. i am so sorry that this happened. i would be one angry person had that happened to me. however, it was for a reason. praying for your success!!

mississippi girl!

So did you succeed Gemma? All done with the operation?

For the record, I ate a lot of pizza Monday night before my Wednesday morning surgery, I was told that on Tuesday I had to do a liquid only diet and take some kind of laxative at 10 am and 2 pm to 'clean me out'. All my prep prior was to show the doctor and my insurance company that I could stick to a plan (and I did lose 30 pounds on my own via WWs) so I am sure you should have been fine.

Update us if you have the time/inclination.

So did you succeed Gemma? All done with the operation? For the record, I ate a lot of pizza Monday night before my Wednesday morning surgery, I was told that on Tuesday I had to do a liquid only diet and take some kind of laxative at 10 am and 2 pm to 'clean me out'. All my prep prior was to show the doctor and my insurance company that I could stick to a plan (and I did lose 30 pounds on my own via WWs) so I am sure you should have been fine. Update us if you have the time/inclination.

Hi Odesa yes all went well with no complications thanks. Struggling with keep sipping Water at the moment due to the pain and sickness but I'm sure that will improve. What date was your op?

Hi Gemma,

Great news, glad to hear you finally had a successful op. It took me about 3 or 4 days before I felt I could sip ok. My op was on 3/12 so 23 days ago. I sip just fine now, in fact after 22 days of practice I think I am an expert sipper LOL.

So what day was your op? Want to know how many days post op you are. Just an FYI since your from UK but back in the 90's I was stationed at Edzell AF Base in Scottland so spent some time on your island :)

Wishing you a speedy recovery!