Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone,

I am thankful to have found this forum for both emotional and physical support. I say 'physical' because I really do believe that the encouragement and community here will help have an overall impact on my physical journey, as well as emotional.

I have long thought about having a lap band procedure done, but the fears have always got the most of me. I've had family who has had the gastric bypass done and they have suffered physically, and look horrible.

I spoke with my doctor a few months ago ago and finally told him that something needed to be done. While trying to live an active lifestyle, I realized that my weight was causing me more issues and it seemed as though I was being punished for attempting to live a physical life. He looked over my medical history and reasons I have gone to him, and told me that I would be a great candidate for the lap band surgery. After MANY doctor appointments, evaluations, tests, etc., I was approved for surgery and will be having it done on April 11th!

I am both nervous, scared, excited, happy, feel a sense of relief, worried...so many emotions all wrapped up into one big ball! Today I start my 2 week fast and am sipping on the ever so lovely Optifast (yuck!). I have so many things running through my mind, but in the end, I am excited to have this tool that will help me get to where I want to be in my life.

I look forward to making new friends!

WELCOME!!!!

Thank you! :)

Welcome CCCV4...I had my band done almost 3 years ago and had some of your same feelings as I began my journey. I am not at the end yet (thanks to some set backs) but this site is great and very helpful. There always seems to be someone here to encourage you and get you feeling better. Good luck with the 2 week liquid diet - YUCK..this is far worse than you band will ever be. Just keep your eyes focused forward. Keep posting and hanging in there.

Melinda in Florida

Welcome to the family. I pray you have a speedy recovery. I was banded on January 27. I have lost 33 toal so far. Just waiting for warmer weather so I can walk more.

That fear we all had that we were going to lose our best friend, "food", can be overwhelming. But, it goes away just like the fat we lose. I read this from another forum member a few years ago:

"In my case, the most fearful thing I had to do in order to succeed with my band wasn't switching to skim milk, surviving a liquid diet, or giving up bread. The most fearful thing was giving up my emotional attachment to food. In the nearly 5 years since I was banded, I've made a lot of progress with that, but the attachment is still there. It forms one of the innermost layers of my turtle shell. Working on that layer will probably be a lifetime job for me. At times I'm not even sure I truly want to get rid of it altogether. At times I'm afraid that if I shed my shell completely, I won't be able to survive. On the other hand, I seem to be doing fine without that thick old bitch layer. So I'm going to pay attention to my dreams rather than my fears and pray for a miracle. And why not? It can't hurt to try!"

Welcome! I just got banded on March 4th. Good luck with everything!

You are SO RIGHT! This has been the hardest thing for me. Today is my first day with the pre-op liquid fast. I've had some difficult moments today.

Last night I was prepping myself, mentally, for what is about to go down over the next 2 weeks. I had my "last meal" last night and totally endulged. It felt like I was having to go through a divorce with a partner that I've had my entire life. food has been there for me during the highest of highs, and the lowest of lows. I can't imagine being limited, especially over the next 2 weeks. My pack of oreos and gallon of milk have been there for me when no one else was. I couldn't believe why I felt so down last night. It felt like I was going through a break-up. I have to believe that I will see results down the road and that it will all be worth it.

You all are a true God-send to my life right now. Feeling alone and as if "no one else understands" is just ammo for a disaster. I decided today that I would reach out and look for help. I'm so thankful I am going to make great friends who "get it".

"In my case, the most fearful thing I had to do in order to succeed with my band wasn't switching to skim milk, surviving a liquid diet, or giving up bread. The most fearful thing was giving up my emotional attachment to food. In the nearly 5 years since I was banded, I've made a lot of progress with that, but the attachment is still there. It forms one of the innermost layers of my turtle shell. Working on that layer will probably be a lifetime job for me. At times I'm not even sure I truly want to get rid of it altogether. At times I'm afraid that if I shed my shell completely, I won't be able to survive. On the other hand, I seem to be doing fine without that thick old b***h layer. So I'm going to pay attention to my dreams rather than my fears and pray for a miracle. And why not? It can't hurt to try!"

Hi there, so happy for you! Making this choice for myself and my healthy future has been wonderful in so many unexpected ways. I am really happy that I still like food but it's so different now that I can be satisfied by it -- before I would have something but felt I wanted/needed more. This feeling of satiety is such a great thing. A relief. I feel like I'm out of food jail. And I don't really feel like I've given anything up, even though I am making such good choices now and there are foods I don't have. But I don't miss them. At all. If there's something I want I can generally have it -- just in a small, healthy amount. And then magically I am satisfied. Note this doesn't happen right away -- all those followup appointments are so important to work to get the right fill. It can take a while but once there it is amazing. You are doing the hard part right now -- detoxing, cleansing and getting ready mentally. I was glad during this time to have upped my exercise so I had something to step into post surgery. Good luck with all -- so glad you're here!

@@Bandista Thank you SO much for your encouragement! I feel that I have just hit the jack pot by finding all of you! I have felt a little lonely, so much opposition in doing this. I know people are being this way because they care about me and worry. I feel like I have found a group of people who are encouraging and real with me. Thank you!

It baffles me to think that I will ever "get full" by so little food. I can eat...A LOT. I've never looked at food as something to satisfy me as much as something to really bring me pleasure. I know all of the menus at all of the fast food places :blush:

I want to be healthy. I want to have children. I want to be the person I know that I can be. Before, it was for vanity, but now, it is because I know that I will die at an early age if I don't get my health under control. I've worked too hard in my educational journey just to die at a young age.

Good for you for getting started on a path to good health !! It can only get better! I followed my Drs rule 95 % of the time and had very good results. (Now im working on those pesky last 20 lbs, hopefully as the weather improves I can get outside more ) Although you will need to cut back on alot of the junk food for good results , I can still eat 95% of regular food, I just have to sub 1 texture for another to get it down. For instance I cant do chicken breast or pork chops , ( too tough) but chicken thighs and pork loin are fine. You'll find out what works for you, and best of all as the weight is falling off of you, you'll find that the healthy body that is emerging will befar more important than ANY food. GOOD LUCK !!!!

Hello i was reading your thread and i know how u feel i went through a horrible divorce last year after having my 1st child and i hade food as my comfort eating night and day everything i could find thinking of food just imagining what i would eat after i finish eating at 233 lbs i looked and felt horrible not leaving the house ever cuz nothing fit me and all i did was watch Netflix in bed and eat ( not so healthy) so i said how long is this gonna go on where will it lead me :( i got banded 9 days ago and ever since that and the liquid diet (witch was sooooo hard!!!!!) i lost 20 lbs :) i still have a long way to go but im hanging in there im not gonna lie its hard theres times you wanna give up i did have thoose many many times just wanted to call it off but i didnt im here i did it and im gonna keep doing it i hade a hard time with recovery gas pain was excruciating for me but I did it u can too u just gotta know its gonna be hard and its gonna take time and its not pleasant but in the end well know its worth it good luck to you i hope god gives u the strength to go through this and i hope u have a good and speedy recovery gbu .

Welcome! After a little more than a year banded, all I can say is that I still love food, it still gives me such pleasure to eat and I suspect it always will. But now I eat less of it....alot less. The joy of eating will always be there, but now there is also the joy that comes from walking away from the table without pigging out and without having those awful feelings of guilt. Good luck and know that we are here to support you.

Edited by gowalking

Hello everyone, I am thankful to have found this forum for both emotional and physical support. I say 'physical' because I really do believe that the encouragement and community here will help have an overall impact on my physical journey, as well as emotional. I have long thought about having a lap band procedure done, but the fears have always got the most of me. I've had family who has had the gastric bypass done and they have suffered physically, and look horrible. I spoke with my doctor a few months ago ago and finally told him that something needed to be done. While trying to live an active lifestyle, I realized that my weight was causing me more issues and it seemed as though I was being punished for attempting to live a physical life. He looked over my medical history and reasons I have gone to him, and told me that I would be a great candidate for the lap band surgery. After MANY doctor appointments, evaluations, tests, etc., I was approved for surgery and will be having it done on April 11th! I am both nervous, scared, excited, happy, feel a sense of relief, worried...so many emotions all wrapped up into one big ball! Today I start my 2 week fast and am sipping on the ever so lovely Optifast (yuck!). I have so many things running through my mind, but in the end, I am excited to have this tool that will help me get to where I want to be in my life. I look forward to making new friends!

Good luck with your new journey. I love the band. I never looked into it because my lung doctor told me I was getting it and set up my appointment. I found this wonderful site after the surgery.

Are you allowed different Protein Shakes? I use 8 oz milk. Body Fortress in chocolate , a little Decaf instant coffee, a little peppermint extract and tons of ice. The shakes are thicker than McDonalds. I have them every day for Breakfast for 2 years now.