Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First fill 17 days before flying abroad?

I was banded March 13. I'm on full liquids now, 800 calories a day, and doing fine. Exercising faithfully and starting to lose. No fill yet at all in my 14cc band. My doc wants to do the first fill April 28, which is also the day I begin solid food. He typically fills 4-7 ccs the first time. My NP says it's okay to wait until I come back from Europe at the end of May to do a first fill. She says the stomach swells when you fly which can add to the tightness. I personally would like to start feeling some restriction as soon as I begin solids, but worried about dealing with a new fill and swelled stomach when I'm not close to my doctor. I fly out May 15. My question is to those who fly, do you notice your band is tighter? Can you describe it? Does anybody have an opinion they would like to share? I'm sensing that my doc is pretty aggressive with weight loss. The nurse also said he wouldn't want me overeating on the trip. When I told him proudly that I was staying under 1000 calories on Soup and Protein shakes, he said, go down to 800 and ditch the shakes. I'm complying, but getting more hungry. Four more weeks before the big day. Thoughts?

Does he do fills under fluoroscopy or just traditional?

Flying didn't affect my band at all. I suppose if it was an international flight I might find some discomfort but then I'd just be consuming liquids for a few hours so no big deal.

I would recommend just following the doctors protocol. It's unlikely you'll find restriction with one fill but you never know. You're very early in your journey so you haven't learned how to eat with the band. You may know the details, but you haven't walked the walk yet. Eating like a Bandster is not something that we overeaters conform to right away. It can take months and even years to develop good eating habits.

Getting stuck on vacation could make for a shortened vacation or an expensive trip to the ER.

tmf

The NP actually does the fills in the surgeon's office. She mentioned x-ray I think, back when I had my first pre-op appointment months ago. I don't remember hearing the term fluoroscopy. Is that the same thing? The conflict is that at first I was sure I just wanted no fill until after the trip. But then I found out this week that his protocol is to do a fill the first day of solid food. I didn't realize that before, as I thought it would follow eating by a few weeks. So that date is two weeks before I fly. The nurse practitioner said it's fine to wait even if the doctor was pushing for a fill. My worry is getting sick abroad. But he made it sound unlikely, and now I don't know which way to go. Is getting your first fill the day you start solids pretty standard? Do you think two weeks of band plus solids is enough to know if I'm okay before I leave? The idea of just liquids during the flight and maybe that day is appealing.

Most docs, on the day of a fill, will have you on liquids for the next 24 hours and then mushies for another 24 hours. So, a fill on the same day you start solids is odd?

X-Ray and fluoro are probably going to be the same. Some medical people just say X-ray. If you're getting filled with X-ray I see no problem. You have plenty of time to acclimate to the fill before you leave. You can always ask him to leave it a little loose?

And, I agree with the NP. Waiting could be a good option too.

Edited by 2muchfun

Since the NP is the one doing it, I'm sure she would accommodate my request of the lesser 4cc fill in the 4-7cc range. Thanks for the help. I know it's a month away but I'm always calmer when I have a plan!

i might wait until you get back from your trip. enjoy eating food while away. usually after a fill you are on liquids for a few days. and if you have a problem you are a long way away from your doctor. have a good time and enjoy the food. just pretend you are with a fill and eat accordingly.

I flew to Hawaii (13 hours) within 3 days of my first fill. I felt no tightness. It was an emergency family issue so I didn't get to plan for it but my doc just said nothing heavy before, during, and an hour following the flight. I had no issues. Then again, I'm no where near restriction yet and suspect you won't be either. My doc has instructed me that in the future, if I have 2 weeks notice of flying then that's best. Follow your doc/NP, but from my own experience, I won't hesitate again.

I haven't flown with the band yet. I think 17 days is pretty good about getting to know the band and the fill amount vs eating food. I would say that you should be ok. Take some extra shake powder to make sure that you'd be covered if you do swell or get stuck (my doc recommends after getting stuck to go back on liquids for 24 hours).

Also, you do have the rest of your life to get fills. 17 days plus your trip isn't that long in the scheme of things. You'll be more so in bandster hell and will probably overindulge. That is a risk.

Oh I'd suggest to try to look on this forum for the location specific groups to find doctors that are familiar with the lap band in the location(s) that you're going. I've read about many people here that have gone to the ER due to their band and the ER docs were not that familiar with the band and not that helpful. I'd assume you might run into the same thing over there and should plan accordingly.

Good luck and have fun. :)

I got a 4.5cc fill on the same day I went to transition class for mushies. Even though I was clear for mushies because I went through the class, I had to wait to enjoy them. I had to be on liquids another two days, but then could transition to the mushies on my own.

I am flying next week, so this conversation is very interesting to me. I heard somewhere else that if you stick to liquids on the flight, then you are ok.

:)K