Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Beware of Mexico Bariatric Center (MBC)

I didn't read the forms but I hope your feeling better...Good Luck

dsteimen, thank you for all of your posts. The purpose of this site is to inform and I think that is what you did. I have talked to 2 other people that had similar complaints. Good luck to you.

Background:

Debra Steimen originally contacted Mexico Bariatric Center (MBC) on 3/1/13. She scheduled to have the Lap-Band removed and if possible, get sleeved on 4/9/13 for total cost of 6,300 USD with Dr. Ramos Kelly.

She successfully had surgery performed on April 9, 2013.

It is noteworthy to mention that there could be inflammation or other medical issues relating to the prior bariatric surgery that can prevent the gastric sleeve procedure from safely being performed.

Debra contacted Mexico Bariatric Center with displeasure on 11/15/13 after she was in contact with Dr. Ramos Kelly and got upset with him. She complained about gaining weight and claimed that Dr. Ramos Kelly removed the Lap-Band but did not perform the gastric sleeve procedure.

Mexico Bariatric Center then contacted Dr. Ramos Kelly on behalf of the patient. Dr. Kelly informed MBC that he did remove the Lap-Band and performed the gastric sleeve procedure on Debra. Dr. Ramos Kelly also told MBC that he offered to redo the surgery for no fee for himself, but the hospital and all other expenses would still need to be paid. However, Mrs. opted not to go with Dr. Ramos Kelly - and declined his offer.

Evidence:

Documentation from Hospital MI Doctor in Tijuana shows successful completion of Lap-Band removal and gastric sleeve surgery on the April 9th 2013.

Michael Velchik, MD, also on December 17th 2013 at the Fairfax Radiological Consultants, P.C. reports, “there is redemonstration of postoperative changes in the stomach consistent with gastric sleeve procedure.”

In clearing up the issue, we talked with Dr. Ramos Kelly, who says he performed a “loose sleeve,” on the patient. A loose sleeve is a less restricting gastric sleeve procedure, which is done on patients with less severe BMIs.

Our Response:

Mexico Bariatric Center offered Debra Steimen the following:

1. If there was no sleeve procedure, MBC surgeon will perform gastric sleeve and the only charge she will be responsible is the revision part ($1400).
  2. If the gastric sleeve was performed, she then would revise to gastric bypass surgery at MBC surgeon's discretion.

Our Stance:

Debra Stienmen declined our offer, then proceeded to suggest we owe her financial compensation of $8,875 or she would go to the boards and attack MBC.

Mexico Bariatric Center fully paid for Debra Stienmen original surgery to Dr. Ramos Kelly. MBC has fulfilled its contractual obligations with Mrs. Steimen and deems it unnecessary to provide compensation at this time.

We feel that we have gone above and beyond in this case. We have done substantial research on this case to see what the appropriate action is to be taken. MBC strives itself on patient support and care!

---

1) Was there a price difference discussed between if the sleeve could be performed v. if it could not be performed? If so, what was it?

2) It is noteworthy to mention that there could be inflammation or other medical issues relating to the prior bariatric surgery that can prevent the gastric sleeve procedure from safely being performed.

This comment is very interesting. Are you alluding that perhaps this was the case for Debra?

3) redo the surgery for no fee for himself

Why would he offer this as an option if the sleeve surgery had already been performed?

4)

1. If there was no sleeve procedure, MBC surgeon will perform gastric sleeve and the only charge she will be responsible is the revision part ($1400).

Why in the world would she be responsible for any charges, if the sleeve had not been done, even though a doctor has told her it had been & there are chart notes supporting that it had been completed?

If there was no sleeve procedure, MBC surgeon will perform gastric sleeve and the only charge she will be responsible is the revision part ($1400).

Plus travel and related expenses, additional time off work, etc...for something that should have been done correctly the first time --and was paid for. I didn't even know a "loose sleeve" was an option...I haven't seen that term used in all of the research I have done. I will make sure I ask my Dr. about this.

Mexico Bariatric Center fully paid for Debra Stienmen original surgery to Dr. Ramos Kelly. MBC has fulfilled its contractual obligations with Mrs. Steimen and deems it unnecessary to provide compensation at this time.

Did Mexico Bariatric Center fully pay for Debra's surgery to Dr. Kelly with Debra's money that she paid to MBC for the surgery and additional services as contracted or did MBC fully pay for Debra's surgery as a gift to her?

I understand Mexico Bariatric Center trying to defend themselves. The coordinators are not the ones performing the actual procedure and can't control the doctors actions in the OR. There is a level of professional business integrity that looks to be lacking. To say that Mexico Bariatric Center has gone "above and beyond in this case" may be a stretch. The actions of A Lighter Me, Janese and Sandy show what going above and beyond means. They were able to "clean up the mess" that Debra was in --- which should have been handled by MBC. It shows there was a way to work through the negative situation and make it right. Maybe if MBC had handled the situation differently, it would have portrayed them in a different light without a need for a rebuttal within this forum.

The subject of obesity and the struggles with weight are very personal. I hope this was an isolated incident that was mishandled by a small representation of the business and doesn't reflect the core values of a company that should be customer focused.

In the US, it doesn't seem like a lot of revision from band to sleeve are done during same surgery. Why would it be any different in Mexico?? Seems to me the Dr did a lot of mis communicating however well intentioned it could've been.

I now feel like a rape victim having to defend myself.

As for MBC Comments-

I filled out the form that was on the website- It is true that I received an email confirming I was approved for surgery. However after reviewing the little chart they had online the two doctors they proposed had no revision experience. I had a large pouch that grew over my lapband. My doctor in the states said this was a very serious surgery. Again since I did not have the money to have it revised in the states I need the best doctors I could get in Mexico. I called Christy my coordinator and told her my concerns. She told me that yes it was true that the doctor that approved me was good. Christy admitted to me that the doctor preformed many gastric sleeves but very little revisions. During that phone call Christy suggested Dr.Kelly. She told me that he had more experience with revision surgeries and was extremely good. Together we reviewed my present circumstance with the lap band and she told me she felt better recommending Dr. Kelly for my surgery.

I truly trusted and believed in Christy. She was representing Mexico Bariatrics and their Doctors.

As for the trusting Mexico Bariatrics and their doctors again for another surgery would be ludicrous. I have posted the documents that prove that the surgery I paid for was not completed. I did not pay Dr. Kelly an money I paid Mexico Bariatric's the total sum for my surgery. They should be held accountable as well as Dr. Kelly

What a horrendous story. Have you contacted an attorney? You may not be able to sue the dr., but MBC as the broker who accepted your money has some liability. I'd also file a complaint with the better business bureau.

I am so sorry to hear of the trauma and anxiety you have suffered!

I am preparing to have my revision surgery with Dr Ariel Ortiz..... Was that the dr Ortiz that corrected your surgery? I have heard he is one of the best.

Please be well and I sincerely hope you get the outcome that this surgery can offer.

Hello,

You will be in good hands with Dr. Ortiz. He is the Dr. that did the final fact finding. It was Dr. Ortiz that explored my stomach. He found no staple from the last surgery to show that a gastric sleeve was preformed. He was able to create the gastric sleeve with no problem. Dr. Oritz was able to fix some of the horrible scarring created by Dr. Kelly and his team. I have a lot of scars now but at least they are not horrible lumpy scars that I was left with from Dr. Kelly.

I am so sorry to hear of the trauma and anxiety you have suffered! I am preparing to have my revision surgery with Dr Ariel Ortiz..... Was that the dr Ortiz that corrected your surgery? I have heard he is one of the best. Please be well and I sincerely hope you get the outcome that this surgery can offer.

I think Debbie did not notice the first name of your dr. She and I had the same surgeon 1 day apart. Our surgeon was Dr Elias Ortiz, not the OCC Dr Ariel Ortiz.

feel like a rape victim having to defend myself.

@@dsteimen

debby

what a "good" but very sad analogy :mellow:

as others have said about your obviously true story:::::::

i'm very sorry this happened to you

emotions/feelings are high anyway, going through a major surgery

sounds like you were alone, and to go through the language barrier, too - i can't begin to imagine

on these boards, i regularly hear the wonderful experiences from other sleevers about their successful

story

wonderful treatment, doc in mexico!!!!

everybody was helpful and attentive

unfortunately you had one of the bad apples - rotten to the core (no joke here :huh: )

you'll probably never forgive or forget this nightmare

but, try and move on (easier said than done)

holding on to anger doesn't hurt the "other" party

it hurts/keeps you from moving forward with your life :wacko:

take care

good wishes in your new "better" life

kathy

Okay. So I completely understand Debbie sharing her experience on the forum to "warn people". My question is why did a representative of MBC post confidential medical information about Debbie on a public forum? I understand that Mexico may not have the same laws protecting medical information but with Sourcis being the parent company and American that they would have to protect the patients medical records and could not release them without permission or court order. Maybe it's me thinking this?