Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I have 2 months to go until surgery. This morning while making my daughters pb&j this morning I decided it would be an awesome thing to have since I won't be able to for a very long time. Lol. I will savor the pb&j today! Anything you wish you had had before surgery or does this trend to magically eliminate that?

To be perfectly honest. I eat whatever I want only a very small portion. I put Protein first though and if there is room I will have a bite or two of anything else I chose.

For me this program is not a diet it is a change in the way I see food. The way I feel about it. The way I handle the hard times now.

Everything in balance and moderation. When I started this journey I thought that the thing to do is be totally rigid with everything I put in m y mouth. But realized when I used to do it that way I was setting myself up for failure like all the diets I had already tried.

I even had a food funeral before I had surgery to say good bye to all the food I would never eat again. I was soon to find out that there is nothing you can't eat in moderation. We need all of it to survive.I have been known to even have a cookie now and then.

But I eat like this...Water all day long..meals Protein first, next veggies, fruit, carbs last. I try to keep that balance in my life every day.

Sometimes when I am eating my meal I see the thing that I used to totally indulge on and then thank whoever that I have my sleeve.

I tell myself almost everyday how grateful I am for this miracle. Seriously!!!!!!!!!! :)

I'm not at the point were I can eat whatever I want just yet, I'm only in phase four surgery was 2/19. But I do wish I would've had a bigger food funeral. I would look at my children eat things like salad and wish I could eat that too. But today I just started phase 4 and this is the phase were soft veggies and dark green lettuce are introduced. Can you believe I'm really never hungry I only want to eat when I see others eat. So no one is in the office but me so I had to force myself to eat the salad I brought to work today and I didn't really eat that lettuce I wanted oh so bad, I just pretty much ate the protine (crab meat, eggs and cheese) out of it. But yeah there are some foods that I "think" I miss and right now it's pickles.

No, nothing is magically eliminated, but there are options. Instead of a pb &j sandwhich, I have PB2 with an apple. Instead of Pasta, I occasionally have Quest brand Pasta. If I want chocolate, a Protein bar. There are healthy alternatives that satisfy me. Everyone is different, so you'll have to see what appeals to you. But just about everything you eat now can make an appearance in your life again. Which is the good and the challenging piece of WLS.

i have had plenty of opportunity to overeat before i had this surgery. so no, i don't wish i had indulged more. that's how i got to the place where i needed surgery!!

what i do wish was that i had spent more time before surgery practicing dealing with life without medicating myself with food. sometimes i really struggle and there is no easy out anymore. i can't eat mindlessly until i am stuffed and not feeling stress or anxiety or being overwhelmed. i dont miss food. i miss being able to use food to easily make myself feel better.

I pretty much did 2 full months of 'food funerals' (read: excuse to over indulge) before surgery. I gained about 20 lbs, then lost all plus some during my 2 week pre-op. It was probably dumb and destructive, but I regret nothing :D

I'm not worried necessarily that I'll never have it again or that I'm going to go totally over board... Was Just curious what people found they missed and *wished*they would have had before. I just enjoyed the pb&j. To be honest I probably haven't had one in a year... I think it's the thought that you *cant* have something that makes you miss it now, don't ya think. :-)

I agree. It's the idea that you can't have something that makes you want it. I too had my farewell tour before my surgery but it was a way to feed my anxiety I think. I'm looking forward to being able to eat real food at smaller portions just to get some different flavors and sence of normalcy. But the truth will come when I get stressed out and can't eat....I need to plan now...

I'm around 17 months out and there isn't anything I miss. I eat what I want and some things that I loved before I don't want to eat at all. Fried items are very unappealing. So are foods high in fat such as full fat ice cream, creamy sauces and Soups, alfredo, etc. I don't miss anything. There is no need for a food funeral or the psychological fear or need to "eat it forward" because it is the "last time." I even drink beer when I like.

The one thing I thought I'd miss with a vengeance is Diet Pepsi. Every once in a while I get a little twinge but it passes soon enough and I'm so much happier and healthier without it. It's surprisingly been the least of my cravings

Oh Seela!! I completely understand the diet pepsi thing. I already have crystal lite during the day but man a nice cold crisp diet pepsi when I get home is such a treat! That probably WILL be the hardest thing for me. I have heard some miss rice because they can't digest it well after. Anyone else had this experience?

rice doesnt sit well in my stomach. it swells after you eat it, so i can tolerate more than 1-2 tbsp. but i dont miss it. not really. like i said, i miss stuffing myself, but the food, even food that i loved loved loved, i dont really miss.