Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I had my sleep apnea test last night (it was a take home deal). Well the results I got this morning were that I have severe obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). So I am going to have to go in and get the cpap machine and take some classes on its use. I am SO upset and have been just in a terrible state since getting the results! I talked to the np and he told me that this will delay my surgery for a FEW MONTHS! I am devastated! Has anyone else been through this? What am I supposed to expect? I have always heard that the machines are annoyingly loud and its hard to sleep with them because they are so loud.

On top of it, we are supposed to be following a strict 1200 calorie a day pre-op diet and eating certain food groups at certain meals and weighing and measuring. I have been so upset today that I have been non-stop eating! Of course all I am eating is crap but then I am beating myself up for it! I feel like I am in this vicious cycle today! What do I do?

I have to go back for my cpap mechine tomorrow and my sergury is next week I wounder why you have to wait so long>>>

I would be upset to . Yesturday they try to tell me I would have to ait until may to have my surgery and I told them no way!!!

They fixed it and now its back on!!!!!

I was really surprised I had obstructive sleep apnea as well. For me I found out during gallbladder surgery. Waking up from the anesthesia was very difficult for me and I required a lot of oxygen during surgery. So my anesthesiologist suggested I get checked. After 6 months my dr finally agreed to.

I have now been on a ResMed CPAP for over 2 years. The only time you hear a sound from the machine is when taking mask off the face. Even then, there is a sensor that turns it off when not on your face. My insurance co. actually had a router attached for the first 30 days to make sure I was using it. Big Brother! You will have to see what mask works for you...nasal or full face. They don't expect you to wear it all night long when you first get it but you work up to it. Mine is moderate apnea. Whether moderate or severe apnea this machine can potentially save your life and I'm not just talking at night. It can improve your quality of life...you get the oxygen to the brain that you need. My husband isn't irritated by the machine either. He says he can't hear it.

If you haven't had a consultation with a pulmonologist I would suggest doing so. Have him check your pulmonary functions and do a chest X-ray. Rule out any other lung issues and get a baseline function on your lungs. WLS surgery is great for people with lung issues because with the weight loss not only do you have less weight to lug around but your body isn't physically suffocating it's own lungs. But count yourself blessed that this diagnosis was discovered before surgery. Now your anesthesia team will put things into place that they otherwise may not have. Try not to look at it too negatively this could've just saved your life. On the bright side when we lose the weight we may not need those machines anymore...

I have had a Cpap for many years. I have to say i rather enjoy it - lol. It really helps me to go to sleep!

Try not to look at it too negatively this could've just saved your life. On the bright side when we lose the weight we may not need those machines anymore...

Thank you Angelface! I never looked at it that way, that it could save my life. I asked the np if the sleep apnea would go away with weight loss and he said that if I had moderate or mild apnea that it would likely go away. He was saying that he couldn't tell me for sure since skinny people can have apnea too (he has it and he is skinny). So....I am going to check with sleep department. I have two classes next week with them where I will get a cpap for a week. I have to bring it back after that week and they will go over the data from that machine with me and I will either get a machine there (if my insurance covers it) or I will be given a prescription and a list of vendors.

So I had my sleep apnea test last night (it was a take home deal). Well the results I got this morning were that I have severe obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). So I am going to have to go in and get the cpap machine and take some classes on its use. I am SO upset and have been just in a terrible state since getting the results! I talked to the np and he told me that this will delay my surgery for a FEW MONTHS! I am devastated! Has anyone else been through this? What am I supposed to expect? I have always heard that the machines are annoyingly loud and its hard to sleep with them because they are so loud.

On top of it, we are supposed to be following a strict 1200 calorie a day pre-op diet and eating certain food groups at certain meals and weighing and measuring. I have been so upset today that I have been non-stop eating! Of course all I am eating is crap but then I am beating myself up for it! I feel like I am in this vicious cycle today! What do I do?

I've been on the CPAP for over 3 years, noise isn't a problem, in fact my snoring and breathing used to wake my wife up, not the CPAP. Hopefully you will get the results I did, for me the difference was nigh and day (pardon the pun). I slept better than I had in years, I hadn't realized how much the OSA had affected me, I felt rested and awake at the end of the day. I can't speak for you but I think a little time getting good quality rest will only help you move forward towards improving your health. Hang in there and don't give up.