Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thanks for posting this topic!! I'm still patiently waiting for insurance approval and glad to hear there are no regrets:) I'm excited to be sleeved and reading all the vets posts reinforces I'm doing the right thing and sad I waited so long to make the decision. Congrats to the vets!! You are our (newbies) inspirations!!

I am three months since surgery but would do it again every time asked! Even though I developed a pulmonary embolism as a result of the surgery. It made life difficult for week 2-6 after surgery, but thankfully everything is ok. There is too much benefit to the surgery to ignore. For me losing 100 lbs, stopping BP medication, sleep apnea and staving off Diabetes has made life so much better. And I am not done!

I would absolutely do it again - just much sooner.

Nothing's easy, neither is this, but I am physically much healthier and mentally as well.

Yes I would but maybe would have done bypass. I heard u lose more

my best friend had the bypass, and I had the sleeve. He was a bypass patient several years ago, and I am coming up on my 1 year in May, I have lost just as much if not more than him, and he has had more time to lose, and had more to lose. So that's not always true, it really just depends on how you work the sleeve, or any surgery for that matter.

No doubts, questions, or complaints. It has been the best thing I have ever done for myself. I wish I could have had the current level of medical advancements 20 years ago. The difference is physical, mental, emotional, and completely life changing.

Timing was about right for me. In the past I always figured I could lose the weight and most times I did. But then I would gain it back and so goes the endless cycle. Lately I have not been so capable of losing on my own.

Only recently did the Gastric Sleeve procedure become an accepted WLS procedure with my insurance. So there is that.

So, all things considered, I really wouldn't have been able to have it done before and while I'm glad to of had it done now, I hope I'll not have to do anything regarding further, with regards to weight loss surgery ever again.

Hopefully, once is the magic number. ;)

Edited by Recycled

I would do it again. I had about a 3+ on the complications scale.

I'm down from 3 blood pressure meds to 1, no more thyroid meds, cholesterol down to 111, no more incontinence, IBS gone, anti-depressant gone, arthritis hugely improved. It's also pretty slick being a size small and being the thinnest woman in the room instead of the fattest :D

I really appreciate whoever rated their complications on a mental & physical level. I think both should be addressed. Complication level for me 2 physically. Mentally maybe a 3.

Physically, I had bleeding shortly after the procedure that required me being coded for low blood pressure 60/40& heart rate 140s. I passed out& fell. Needed multiple blood transfusions. I felt weak for months afterward. In retrospect, it was like paying for a penny scratch off ticket& winning a million dollars. I feel great physically now, I'm down from 245 to 135lbs. I can fit in regular sized clothes& buy things. I'm flabulous.

Mentally, I was scared afterward. I think the procedure made me vigilant about my weight& health. It brings to my eyes to think about how much kinder people are to me, mostly strangers but some people I already knew. My 2 best friends both withdrew their support&friendship after I started losing weight. Don't really know what happened there. I now get positive attention from the opposite sex. I have hopes for maybe a marriage or children. I wish I would have done it sooner, but my insurance started covering it when I had it back in Nov 2012. It would have made my twenties a lot better.

If I could up your number from 10 I would give it a 20 in the worst complications.

But would I do it again...YESSSSSSSSSSS in a flash. I am very grateful for the second chance I have to live and learn and change my life. I can't remember feeling this good since I was a teenager. Even with existing complications. I am 17 months out!

I am a totally different person. The girl I was before died with the surgery. Trust me it was a good thing!!!! :)

It will be 4 years for me in July - no question I would do it again. I've loss ~ 90 lbs and have stayed + - 5 pounds. Very little side effects - never loss hair and really no "extra skin"

I'm not that far out from surgery but I would do it over again. I had no physical complications so that would be 0. The mental ones--I'm still dealing with. I'd put that at a very high number, above a 5, some days close to 10.

I'm desperately trying to develop a more positive outlook. Because of my upbringing, I am ALWAYS waiting for the other shoe to drop or the next bad thing to happen. This faulty mental programing is an absolute buggar to change.

Something said at a support group meeting by one of the surgeons has really stuck with me. "Before your feet hit the floor in the morning think of at least ONE thing you are gratefull for." He also said he thinks of things he is grateful for with every step. I think the man could easily become a motivational speaker.

I'm working daily to improve my outlook on life. Overcoming bad childhood programing is a lot of work. That being said---it obviously is a common need. There are so many motivational speakers and programs out there--I'm obviously not alone and it takes daily work.

YES and HECK YES I would do it again in a heartbeat. A short period of pain to begin LIVING life not just existing but actually living life.

Blessings to all,

Kathleen

I am by no means a vet I am 4 months out...but I would do it again in a heartbeat. As of today I have lost a total of 74lbs with my pre-surg diet.

I would do it again, no question about it. I didn't always say that - I was guarded the first few weeks. At 15 months out, the quality of my life has improved immensely. I am 51, and have as much energy as I did in my 20s (and that's a lot!), and I look and feel so much better. I love being of a normal size, and not having the continuous worry if I'll physically fit in places, chairs, etc. I am liberated! Obesity took more of a toll on me than I ever realized.

As for complications, I would say 3+ physically. I had a post op incisional infection that took about 6-7 weeks to heal, and I felt pretty wiped out the first month or so. I'm sure it was made worse by that infection. Mentally, I'd say 0 complications. I think I've adjusted well and pretty easily to the life changes I needed to make. Of course the frustration of having a hard time getting the last few pounds off is irritating, but honestly, even if I never get there, I consider the surgery an overwhelming success.

Absolutely I would do it again. It was the best thing I ever did for myself. I still have a bit more to lose but if I didn't lose another lb. I would do it again. I am 8 months out, lost 80 lbs. no complications at all.