Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I really the only one ?

Is there seriously no one else out there who this didn't work for ? I believe completely that it's because my history of dilated pouches with the band left the top of my stomach too stretched out for the sleeve to work for me. Does this make sense to anyone else ? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

What isn't working for you? I see you've lost 69 pounds and are 15 pounds from your goal. I'm confused.

I lost that and kept it off with my band. I weighed 169 day of sleeve surgery and today (6 months and 3 days later ) I weight the same. I lost down to 158 ish on the liquids/softs after surgery between September and November and have been slowly climbing ever since.

I've lost 37 lbs but my current weight is 155. I thought I'd be smaller but I'm wondering if this is where my body wants me. I lost over 120 with my band.

Im posting this from a strictly guessing point of view. .. with the little information you've given it sounds like you have already lost the major of your weight with the band but due to problems you had to switch to the sleeve. Is it possible that because you only have a few more lbs to lose the sleeve is more of a maintenance tool for you instead of a weight loss tool? I don't know much about the band but I would imagine the restriction would be similar so with only 15 additional lbs to lose I don't think you'd want the sleeve to put you into weight loss overdrive. I'd think anyone that close to goal would really need to work it in order to reach goal. I think no matter the circumstances the last few lbs are always the hardest to lose. Anyway, just a thought...

Seela, what you are saying makes sense and I'm definitely not afraid of the work, most days I just accept the fact that the rest is up to me, however there are days like yesterday and today where I get upset at the fact that I'm $28K in to this and feel like I'm not getting any help from my tool at all. I'm slowly gaining and of coarse that scares me. I'm going to do a 3 day juice cleanse this week to try to jump start my loss again and I will continue adding miles to my run, I would love to do a half marathon in the fall.

Okay, my personal experience was I did terrible with the band and have been wildly successful with the sleeve so this is pure speculation based on what my surgeon "warned" me could happen.

He said several things about revisions - statistically, we don't do as well as virgin sleevers. nobody knows for sure why but his personal theory was that there are 2 main reasons.

1. Bandsters got used to the feeling of fullness of restriction and were more tolerant of that feeling of the esophgus being sorta full. also, in my case, and the case of many people who failed with the band, I learned how to eat sliders because the band caused me pain when I ate dense food like Proteins.

2. sometimes, due to the location of the scar tissue and this depends alot on what happened to you while you were banded, they can't get the same shape and size stomach post sleeve as they can with virgin sleevers. Coming out of surgery my surgeon told me he was relieved, I had massive scar tissue due to slippage, dialation and heaven knows what else from 10 years of the band - he felt he got a "good pouch".

Anyway, I guess I used the info he shared with me to make me extra diligent about following the sleever rules and I did somehow manage to lose 160#. When I was banded i weighed 272 and never got under 200. I regained once I had to have the fill removed due to out of control reflux and just lived with it empty for the next 8 years. When I was sleeved, I weighed 308 and am now maintaining around 148-150#.

Even so, I know for a fact you are not the only one who has not had wild success post revision. i do think the fact that you are so close to goal/normal size makes it much harder. I had to work work work to get the last 30-40# off to make it to my current weight. I mean really work - low low carb, high intensity exercise 5-6 days a week and all that. I mean it, i worked it hard. I would have not gotten under about 180-190# without me really stepping it up big time and that is the honest truth.

Thanks cowgirl ! I think I definitely fall into category 2, what really sucks though is that Iv been down to 140 and maintained that well for quote awhile and now I'm fighting hard to get back to 155, I'm pretty happy there. I'm ready to step it up though, starting the 3 day juice cleanse tomorrow. I just get down sometimes wishing that it was easier, especially after investing all that money!

I am so glad im not the only one out there who hasn't been successful with the revision. I'm only about 3 months post-op and haven't lost anything since the full liquid stage after surgery. I have only lost about 7lbs the 2-3 weeks after surgery and nothing since. I know my sleeve is irregular shaped from the swallow test I did after surgery and I saw how Fluid went through on the live xray. I think I eat about 1500 calories a day. Any less than that I am so hungry. I don't eat a lot of sugar or bad things. I just think my body is used to the amount of food I eat in a day. I was about 185 when I when I had my revision done and now weigh about 177-179. Im really frustrated when I read about how this person lost 50 in 3 months and that person lost 30 in 2 months after their revision and I haven't lost anything.

I have good days and bad days. It seems like there are days that I can eat everything and anything without restrictions. And then there are days I get full on very little. I guess I was hoping for this major restriction like I had with the band.

I just joined the YMCA and hoping once I really start getting into working out the weight will fall right off. I haven't gone yet because I caught a cold and have been feeling really tired and worn out. Im starting to feel better and will be hitting it hard. My husband and I are going to join this running class that helps people train to run a 5k. We've done 5ks in the past but like to do this class because its fun and we get to meet new people. Its kinda nice because it's people from all fitness levels from the couch potato like me to the marathon runner. They encourage everyone on their running even if you can't run more than 30 seconds at a time.

I just got to remember that everyone's experience with a revision is different and the weight will come off..... eventually.

Even my weight loss is slow...and it has stopped...but I lost in inches...some success...

our bodies are used to less calories and more Protein so its all the more difficult.

but we will work at it and get the weight loss.

I am glad I found this post, I can so relate. I am band to sleeve. I am only 40 days Post-Op.

I am noticing that I have some challenges that virgin sleevers do not.

I had the Lapband for 10 years, the first 8 I went from 300 to a Healthy, Fit 205, I'm 6'1" so this was perfect size for me, I was real happy to be there. the last 2 years of my band, I believe I had a stretched esophogus above the band. I had to have it unfilled and slowly creeped back up to 250lbs. I knew I had to get ri of the Lapband but didn't want to gain all my weight back, so I opted for the Sleeve.

I have gone from 250, down to 215 in the last 40 days. I was almost afraid I was losing too fast since I wasn't even on solid food yet. I have stabilzed this last week and am glad I am not dropping to fast. I am only 10lbs from my goal, but I'm afraid I have lost alot of muscle.

I had Hernia Repair during surgery and next day second surgery because I "Threw up my stomach" so they said, I had to get it pulled back down and re-repair the Hernia. I was in the Hospital for 3 more days on IV Fluids. I couldn't drink all that time. So my liquid phase lasted longer, I believe that's why I lost so much weight.

Because I had a Stetched Esophogus before from the Lapband, I feel as though I don't have as much liquid restriction, but I think I'm wrong. I think alot of the liquid goes down, but alot stays in the Esophogus. If I bend down ie: to tie my shoes, liquid comes back up from gravity, no PB or throw up. I also end up sleeping propped up, becasue I end up waking up almost choking on liquids or Saliva. It has gotten better this last week, but still a big concern of mine.

Also I am very nervous about throwing up, I was told wretching could cause the Hernia Repair/Sleeve to do the same thing as day 2. For this reason I think I stick to tiny portions.

I am happy I got the sleeve and Optimistic that some of these issues will resolve themselve, either way I will be seeing my doctor to discuss this.

No you aren't the only one that the gastric sleeve didn't work - it's been 14 months since my surgery and I have NOT lost any weight. The only thing the surgery gave me was bowel issues - bloating, excess smelly gas and the need to be close to the bathroom to evacuate my bowels this makes traveling & just getting around difficult. I am experiencing sharp chest pains from the acid reflux - it feels like I having a heart attack.

hello waitingtobethin....I am sure you will be succesful. are you exercising? having more Water? Proteins?

do exercise more...its too tough for me...but I am trying...all the best.

Hi pancake. I sound a lot like you. I was 181 when I had my surgery. I lost 8 pounds the first week and nothing at all for 6 more weeks. I am now 3 months out and I am down to 163. It has been slow. Just hang in there and follow your eating plan. Make sure you get lots of Water and lots of Protein. Stay away from the carbs or the scale doesn't move. I know you can do this you are just in a stall. I was sure I wasn't going to lose anymore but I did and it will continue to come off. Probably slowly but it will come off. You can do this

So far keeping my eating in check and exercising, im down 6lb since April 1st. Sooo... I guess I'll keep it going! I try to exercise 3-4 times a week, eat about 75-85g of Protein, more complex carbs or no carbs (except what is in my foods naturally) more fruits and veggies.l and drink more Water. I allow myself on cheat day and that is usually on the weekend. Im hoping to be down 8-10lbs by the end of the month!