Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've had the info seminar and I'm meeting with the surgeon next Wednesday. Not sure what procedure I'll have, but leaning toward the sleeve. I have a friend who got the lap band 10 years ago and she has put it all back on. Another friend got the sleeve 2 years ago and is really struggling. She's gained back 35 and in crisis. My main worry is not the surgery, but regaining weight down the road, like happened with all my other big weight losses. Any advice from the long-term folks? This is the one aspect that terrifies me. Thanks!

I'm two years out and holding steady at my desired weight. I am always mindful that regain can happen. I repeat, mindful, not worried. I weigh every day, and of course I see fluctuations of a pound or two. When that pound sticks around more than a couple of days, I make sure it goes away NOW before it turns into two pounds.

I've said many times on this forum that the sleeve works if you do. Keeping the weight off comes from the desire and commitment to keep it off.

There are lots of folks, like your friends, who can lose weight but will regain. There are also lots of folks who lose weight and keep it off. I intend to be one of the latter.

I'll be 5 years out at the end of next month. I gained some back and took it back off but it was really hard to do. It takes real dedication to eating right and continuing with exercise becasue it's really easy to gain weight back if you start snacking ,eating between meals and eating dessert.

I am now a little over three years out. I still LOVE my sleevie but I have to respect it as well. The sleeve is only a tool, not a quick fix, though it seems that way at the beginning. Once I reached my goal weight I became too comfortable and started testing my resolve and my sleeve. That was not a good idea. While I do not feel that I will ever regain 70 pounds, I do not want to regain even 20. So I have to be very careful. At one point, around the two year mark, I felt that I as a bit too thin for a woman my age. My face began to look hollow and my skin sagged. I looked like an old woman and it was not cute. So I made an effort to gain weigh but I did not make good food choices. Now I am working to rid myself of about 15 pounds. I am exercising more and juicing as well. Sleevies LOVE juice! It is so much less work for the sleeve so I am using my NutriBullet daily. I also use the PURE bariatric Protein powder as it tends to break down easier than the GNC brands. I also use Shakeology for energy and its nutritional value. All that said, again I say, the sleeve is a tool and if used correctly and given the respect it deserves it will work for you for a very long time. But you have to respect its limitations.

Hope this helps.

I'm 2 months from being four years out. It definitely is a tool and it will keep you under control if you use it correctly. With that said at around three years I gained back approximately 27 pounds. Got serious about finding something that worked for me and stumbled upon the five- 2 diet. With alternate fast days twice a week of 500 cal. Me and several others launched onto it and took off the excess weight some of those had never reached go and finally reached goal.

Again it has to become a way of life and this is a tool that helps my sleeve do the right work. now if I eat a lot of sliders which the last week I have you will gain.

For me I know it is a lifelong challenge. we are not originally skinny people. we will gain easily. we cannot look at life and maintenance the same way as others. It takes much less calories for me to gain than others because I believe my body is metabolically altered.

I love my sleeve. I would do it again tomorrow. and four years out it's a new life for me!!!

Hi Rogo, Vets Watch Dog here... that is the same question I had early on! Still do after 3 years out. This Vets forum is for people 12 month or further out to post questions and answers at... so I am going to move your post someplace vets can still answer, as well as anyone else who wants to talk about it. Good luck with your decision, and by the way, You certainly can gain weight with the sleeve... at three years I still have to keep a sharp eye on my behavior... at less than 2 years I had gained back 22 pounds... I have lost them again... but it is a struggle at times. However saying that, it is still easier to keep the weight off than without the surgery. I love my sleeve.

Thank you sincerely to all who posted such thoughtful answers to my question! I meet with the surgeon for my first one-on-one tomorrow and this will help fuel our discussion.

Again, thank you very much!!!

Rog