Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi I'm Kara, 52 years old

had the lap Band Surgery on The 11th of this Month

The Morning of The Surgery I was 196.2 down a few pounds from my pre-op of 207

the first few days were extreamly stressful as My Husband just got me home before he had a Heart attack,

here I was alone and not able to be with him that first day!

Today I am 9 days Post-op and sad to say but only down to 195.8, I have not cheated and yesterday was first day I could have anything really to eat and that was Low fat 1% cottage cheese two tablespoons full, I was really excited to step on the scale this Morning after reading how so many had lost 20 pounds only to be disappointed not even 1 full pound.

I called the Blue Valley Hospital in Kansas City and have a appointment for the 2nd for a fill, Problem is I still don't feel any hunger.

am I the only one who has not lost weight 9 days out?

Hi Kara,

First...how is your husband?

Second...how are you recovering from the surgery? Is your pain getting better? Hopefully everthing is progressing nicely from a recovery point of view.

That said...you are in a healing stage. Weight loss may be slow at this point. Your body just went through surgery!!! There is a lot of swelling inside of you that you can't see. So, while we all get excited about this great decision we've made, it's easy to forget that we need to heal first and then focus on our weight loss.

Take these first few weeks and focus on your doctor's plan for you. Practice the rules they have given you...then, when your body is ready to drop the pounds, you'll be ahead of the game!

You are going to do great! Listen to your doctor, ask questions of him. Follow his rules. We'll all be here to offer encouragement along the way. And don't...no matter what...fall victim to the evil comparison trap. Do not get frustrated that you have "only lost 1 lb" when Suzie Q lost 15 lbs in the same amount of time. Everybody has their own path on this journey. So, Celebrate that one pound lost. Celebrate the healthy choices your are making for your body, your life, your family...and enjoy the ride!

You'll get a lot of responses on this one. This is not the time to look for weight loss. It's a time to heal. Even after you heal you may not lose weight every day, week or even every month.

Your body just went through a major surgery and was traumatized more than you know. They also pumped your body with saline and antibiotics so it will take several days/weeks to recover.

I'm am so sorry to hear about your husband. I pray that he is okay.

First you underwent surgery then had a very stress inducing life event. Like the ladies said you have swelling, meds, and co2 in your body. I'm 1 month post-op and i still have a teeny bit of swelling.

Also i DID NOT touch the scale while i was healing! I waited until my follow ups to get on the scale in the docs office. As a matter of fact i still follow that rule. I am going by how my clothes fit and measurements. For now im leaving the scale business at the doc.

Don't worry, it will come off.... I promise you. :-)

Hi Kara, what a confluence of events! I hope you are both recovering well and settling back into your lives. Like every one else mentioned, don't worry if your weight is up post-surgery as there is a lot of inflammation. I was several pounds up and then one day it dropped off. Your body may be holding on because of all the stress and worry as well as the surgery itself.

Like you, I did not experience an immediate return of hunger. I was on one day clear and then one week full liquids then on to mushy foods for a week. All throughout that time I did not feel hungry and I think that's a good thing as some people wake up from the surgery "starving" and feel very frustrated about that. My surgeon told me not to worry about calorie or Protein goals at all during this time -- that the objective was just to heal up from the surgery. I enjoyed tea quite a bit, and broth. I really liked potato leek Soup. I'd feel a little hungry but then a bite or two of something would give me that "full" sensation and so I just stopped (important to learn that!). I loved my Popsicles but couldn't even finish one of those. The hunger did return, however, and for me it was well-timed with when I went back to the surgeon to assess for a first fill. It took me six small fills to get to what I think is the Green Zone. Those early days were a little taste of that.

Best wishes to you! Try not to worry about the number on the scale. I know it's hard -- I still really struggle with that myself. The weight is going down and of course it's happening......even a little gain is usually a precursor to a real drop for me. But it's hard for me to believe in the whole thing and I guess I use the scale to prove to myself that, yes, it's true. I'm losing weight. It's working! It will work for you, too.

Kara, good luck to you, and I hope your husband is okay.

Kara, good luck to you, and I hope your husband is okay.

Sorry couldn't find a subject to write in. I don't know how to start a new subject.

Anyhow I am 7 mos out and I just hsd my 2nd fill. I have 6cc in a 10cc band. I feel great. My pills are going down great liquids. Today is the last day of Clear Liquids but drinking a Protein smoothie because my blood sugar dropped to 56. So had to get some protein and carbs in right a way. It's going down very well. I am taking small sips and slowly. It's good. Dr said I would really start losing weight now. I've lost 30lbs in 7 months...so we'll see. Just had to tell someone.

Karad, so glad you came here to ask for help. So many great people here that will give you guidance.

I sure hope your husband is doing better and will have a full recovery.

Have you called your doctor about aftercare? Support is one of the things you will find helpful. There is Support Group meetings at Menorah Hospital. You could call them and find out when and what time. My doctor had his own support group but was discontinued last summer. I miss going to them. Some of those people now go to Menorah. Give it a try.

Thank you to each and everyone who replyed along with the thoughts and prayers.

My Husband Is doing wonderful they placed 2 stents as one Artery was 100% blocked another is 30% but with meds and diet change they feel that he will do great and Released him on Saturday.

I still have some gas pressure and a little soreness I was also placed on the 1 week clear liquid and 1 week liquid and so on till I have worked upto a regular diet, I am on the Mushy diet stage.

I will wait to look at a scale till the 2nd of April when I am to get the first fill down in Springfield and Maybe I will get a more pleasant reading.

I am now planning on attending the support meeting there in Springfield thank you for reminding me about them.

your posts really did put me more at ease as I was really worried something I was doing was wrong or it wasn't going to work for me.I take a bite or 2 and I am full it's even hard to get the Protein shake down sip it for a few hours as I really don't even want it.

Again thank you all for the encouraging words.