Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Two Years out: LISTEN UP NOOBS AND SEEKERS! *warning-harsh*

Thank you!!!!! Well said.

Nicely said Dooter, tough love that's what we all need. The hard truth. I am so grateful that you posted this.

Thanks for sharing that! Good luck on your continued journey!

I know that everyone has some type of stuggle but its nice to hear someone stand up and say that they are. I just told my friend that no matter what I do or how much weight I lose there is still a fat girl inside of me who wants to eat and feels that her weight keeps her safe. I have some hard days where I want to eat things but luckly my stomach wont allow me to but I have stepped out there and ate things that made me feel sick like sugary foods and I knew it would. See how you are willing to feel bad to have something that you know is not good for you. This is the mind playing with you and you have to be stronger than that. I know that I am not only working to make my body stronger and healthier but I am working to make my mind and will stronger and healthier. Thank you for this post because it makes me want to do better everyday and know that we can do this with the help of each other.

Still struggling. Had to come back and read my own post for encouragement. LOLOL I'm on day two of a self-imposed liquid diet to shrink up my sleeve as much as possible. I have first-hand knowledge that this works. I'm about to start chewing on the kitchen chairs or something. Yikes. I WILL NOT REGAIN THIS WEIGHT!!!! I'll go down fighting.

Great post. I'm a year and a half out and what you say is sooo true. I'm glad I was in therapy after my surgery and I'm glad I worked as hard as I did to change how I think about and treat my body. But that said, I still wish I would have worked harder - patterns are hard to kill. I keep fluctuating 10 lbs up from my goal, then get serious and bring it back down. I want to get consistent.

Couldn't agree more!!! I am 1 year post-op and the hardest part has been dealing with my head and my thinking. If I wasn't willing to put in the hard work on that account I would be re-gaining right now for sure. That and running....running gives me something to focus on that is non-scale related. But, yes. Everything you said I agree with!!

Yep, pretty much. Good luck to you.

Hey all- Dooter here. I haven't been on here in a while, but this thought has been plaguing me, and I need to get it out. -Let me preface this discussion by saying I am GLAD I had the sleeve surgery, and I would not change it for the world. I had NO complications and I lost 102 pounds in eight months, and for that I am grateful. I needed to do that quickly for my own sanity and health. HOWEVER- that said-

DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT think for one teeny tiny minute that having surgery and dumping a bunch of weight is going to fix your head and the behavior that got you here. Not gonna happen. During the "honeymoon" period where you can sneeze off five pounds at a time and you're never hungry after your teaspoon of food, you can't imagine EVER returning to old feelings and desires. I am here to tell you that it sneaks back in a little at a time. A taste here, a taste there... "oh look. I've gained a pound. well, that was salty food, I'll just drink more Water tomorrow." HORSE HOCKEY!!!! That's where it starts. Your old head trips creep in. Hiding food. Eating junk now, figuring you'll just shape up "next week" or "tomorrow." Tomorrow never happens and you've gained 30 pounds back. Yes. With your itty bitty stomach, you have gained 30 pounds back. It can happen. Or worse, you gain it all back. That can happen too.

The reason I am writing this and being to harsh about it is that you are a person who is considering, or who has gone through a MAJOR life changing surgery. SO CHANGE YOUR LIFE!!!! Be vigilant. come out of that honeymoon with your armor on! You WILL stop losing at one point and your body will begin to fight you as mine has. The diet my surgeon gave me no longer works at this point in the game, as my metabolism is stuck in cold molasses and it has taken a personal trainer/dietitian to get it moving again, and it is majorly hard work and painful and distasteful at times, but I have another 100 lbs to lose AFTER the 30 lb regain is gone.

​Have somebody close to you hold you accountable for exercising and eating right. Splatter it all over Facebook if you have to (I did) so you'll have MANY people holding you accountable! Do what you have to do to reach your goal. Don't settle for less and don't eat crap. And don't think that surgery is the final solution. It's a tool that will get you halfway there. The rest is up to YOU and no one else. Thank you. That is all.

I just have to throw in there I suddenly feel like the vindicated "Mom" who always said this would happen and the little ones just rolled their eyes and stuck their tongues out... LOL :) It's all good. Now you know and you're fixing it. Good for you! You will be fine.

Hey Dooter – You totally rock! This is EXACTLY the reason I came to BaritricPal. Like so many others, since the day I decided to have surgery, I've been terrified of what would happen down the line when it gets hard. I'm only 3 months out and still basking in the glow of my honeymoon period, but I know that the wolf is lurking out there. So I'm working now to get my head right for when it knocks on my door. Now here's a delicate question... Can you advise us as to what are the behaviors that lead to "cheating" our sleeves? I know that ice cream and fruit juices are the quickest path to weight gain. But what are some of the other types of eating that we should watch out for? What sneaks in unnoticed over time until it becomes difficult to stop? Is is starches? pizza? Junk food? candy? Desserts? In other words, are there some foods that would be best left permanently in the past? I worry a lot about my slippery slope, so for now I make choices to avoid all of the "bad foods". But at some point, we're all going to have to increase our calories from 700 to 1200. What are the safe and unsafe ways to do that? Since planning for meals is a strategy for not making bad choices when eating out or at events, I figure that planning for "normal eating", whenever that comes, should also be a good strategy. Thanks to all who had the courage to share their struggles. I wish you nothing but success in regaining control of your journey!!!

I haven't even gotten a surgery date yet and this haunts me!!

My nutritionist warned me about after the honeymoon!!

Hang in there. You'll get to your goal.

Edited by JesusFreak

Yep, it's our worst nightmare. I'm thankful everyday for the gift I've been given. I also worry every day that I can mess it up if I'm not diligent. And it doesn't take long for that to happen. We've all seen posts from our heroes who made it goal, seemed invincible, only to find that they've gain a few pounds, or even a significant amount of weight. We all know it's possible.

I think HOW it happens is unique in many ways, but is always related to the habits that brought us to needing weight loss surgery to start with. I didn't suddenly develop a new habit that will make me overweight. Personally, for me, I'm a grazer. I know this about myself. I have to work really hard not to just put things in my mouth. I don't always succeed, so I have developed a coping strategy, or "rule" I've imposed on myself, that no matter what, I will log it. I WILL be aware of what I've consumed. A lot of the time this keeps me from totally derailing.

It pays to know your own issues and weaknesses, and be honest with yourself about them. I think it also helps to have a bit of fear, knowing what can happen, because it keeps us on guard. Realizing that honeymoon phase is very short lived in the grand scheme of things can help us take advantage of that time, both for weight loss and for changing habits, getting our heads on straight, or whatever you call setting yourself up mentally for success.

Still struggling. Had to come back and read my own post for encouragement. LOLOL I'm on day two of a self-imposed liquid diet to shrink up my sleeve as much as possible. I have first-hand knowledge that this works. I'm about to start chewing on the kitchen chairs or something. Yikes. I WILL NOT REGAIN THIS WEIGHT!!!! I'll go down fighting.

Dooter, awesome post. and I'm stealing your words for a new motto for myself:

"I'll go down fighting!"

Thank you I feel this was meant for me to read. I am at the "this will not happen to me stage" I admit it.

Thanks I'm reading this after eating cake and ice cream....don't judge lol and I wonder why my scale won't miraculously

ignore this behavior. 1yr post op and no steady loss in 3 months. But also no gain other than 1-2 pounds which freaks me out to Make a drastic change but I haven't been consistent with that change. I MUST be the change I want period