Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

how much can you eat after a year?

I just wanted to know from you vets how much food can you eat or are suppose to be eating after a year??? Any info from you guys or your meal plan for the day will be helpful.. Thanx much

well, I can't eat much more than I could a few months post surgery. I recently did a 10 day cleanse/detox and after I was done I could eat way less. I don't know ounces, but I know for me I can still eat about the same. If I eat naughty foods...sliders...it will be a lot more.

At 15 months, I can eat between 8 to 12 oz at one meal - depending on how dense the food is. I can hold more of stuff like spaghetti and chicken noodle Soup (processed carbs) vs dense Protein like chicken/pork/beef. I can usually get full on 6 to 8oz of meat.

For about the first 6 months, I would eat about 1/4 cup of whatever and be full, then I noticed that I was able to hold a little more. It's almost like my stomach relaxed.

I don't really count calories, I'm used to my new way of eating and I weigh daily. If I go up in weight, I just get a little more careful about sticking to my protein/vegetables and cut back on processed carbs/sugar.

The majority of my diet revolves around eating lean pork, black Beans, and lentils. But sometimes, like this week, I've had a huge craving for salads. So I've been eating my pork and lentils during the day and having a huge salad a night.

My typical day is:

Breakfast - Premier Protein Bar

Mid morning snack - 1 cup of my pork and lentils

lunch - another cup of pork and lentils

Afternoon snack - cup of pork and lentils or Protein Bar

dinner - Rotisserie chicken mixed into a big salad

Snack - cup of pork and lentils or Protein bar or apple or grapes or pineapple or an orange (or 2 pieces of candy - 120 calories)

Same here - I maybe eat 3/4 of a cup but we're talking healthier food. I've not had hamburgers, hotdogs, French fries, pizza or carbonation, anything like that. I eat better so I don't count calories unless the doc wants. I have GI problems any way but I still eat as good as I can. The issue really is if you eat good, salad or veggies, fruit, lean meats not fried, etc. then your body will get the right nutrition. Its adding in more than one small tablespoon cookie that is the problem.

Lack of exercise the other. That's where there is a difference also.

Right after surgery I could eat a couple of ounces, then I could eat 1/4 cup. I kept to that for a while, then went to 1/2 cup till about 9 months post op. It gradually increased, and now i can eat a cup or more, depending, on what it is. That sort of panics me - I wish I could be satisfied with a half a cup, still!

I stick to Protein first, and I avoid rice, bread, and Pasta. However, I can, and do, eat pretty much everything, just not at once, not much of it, and not very often, depending on what it is. I count calories more than volume, though I should probably be paying more attention to volume than I do. I have to eat 800 calories to lose weight.

At almost 4 years out, it's WHAT I eat that decides how much I can eat. Things that used to be harder to eat in smaller ants now easily "slide" bread for example! Crackers.

If I eat dense chicken still a few ounces, maybe half a chicken breast. And if veggie Soup probably about a cup. Same with other things such as salad. A few bites, one taco, couple bites rice and Beans. Half a piece of any meat.

But, oh, the sliders! ????. PB crackers is my CRACK!

Thanx so much for all of your responses.. I sometimes think I eat too much ,,,i have to measure more and start back to basics ,I am at a stall and its killing me....the paddys day challenge helped but between yesterday and today I am up 4 pounds, granted its that time of the month but it really makes my head get twisted... Thanx again to all :huh:

Georgia is so right. Some foods I am fairly sure I could eat unlimited quantities...

So I always think in terms of not so much how much CAN I eat but rather how much SHOULD I eat - but she said it better. :)

Like most everyone else mentions - it depends on what it is.

My go to benchmark foods for densest/most filling foods are home baked chicken breast - depending on the day 3-4oz is still max, and one hard boiled egg can still fill me up as if I have eaten a turkey drumstick lol. These two foods will still make me slime if I have even a tiny bit too much.

Three of those frozen turkey meatballs is pretty darned filling as well.

Now if I eat things I am not supposed to - it goes down a lot easier. One could eat a whole lot of ice cream - I am one who dumps with heavy duty sugar - get light headed and heart starts racing, nausea, etc - If I did not dump, I am sure I could take down a pretty serious volume a ice cream or milkshake.

For myself I have to really watch it with the processed carbs and sugar - since I am an addict I will still make myself sick with eating if I don't watch it and be mindful. I worked my way through an entire box of gingersnaps (a personal favorite) over the course of 3 days a couple of months ago - did I eat Protein? hmm maybe a little - it was mostly gingersnaps - with my food/carb addicted head those little Cookies were the only thing I could concentrate on - had to eat them all until they were gone and not share them.

It is better to not have things like that in my house haha ;) and keep working on my issues.

For me its more than I could but I couldn’t eat that much anyway what i can do in one sitting now might seem small to a lot of people but its more than I personally could for way over the first year.
At least its a lot less puking up and less pain now lol
A example I make turkey veggie quiona muffins (standard size muffin baking pan) I can eat 2 of them.
Or 1 of them and about 3-4 tablespoons of veggie salad that I make to go with it which is corn, cucumber, peppers, onion, cherry tomatoes all finely diced.
Another example ¾ of a fajita which is chicken and veg which i trim off the excess wrap to be less bready carb, last night I could only eat half I was mid chewing and knew NOPE spat it out and was done.
I can eat 2 whole small-mid size bananas I can not eat 2 big bananas at once.
That’s examples I can give you without listing bowel sizes these you can picture with ease.

I am 13 and 1/2 months out. I eat everything I like or crave in small potion tho. Example: I always use a small plate to eat I put a couple of tbs of salad with I/2 of boiled egg, couple of tbs of cooked spinach one el pollo loco well done thigh.one Tbs of rice,pasta., or 2-3 crackers. That is lunch or dinner. I am not a Breakfast person so I push myself to eat if not I take Protein Shake . Every time I feel hungry I snack on trial m x 1 cup or more I drink a lot of tea. Hope this helps to give you an idea.

That’s examples I can give you without listing bowel sizes these you can picture with ease.

Er, pass!

Again it all depends on food and volume size. I can get down a lot more food than I originally could. We're talking things like salad, which I eat every day. I put vinegar or lemon spritz or something like that on it. Same thing for lean Proteins that are not fried, etc.

Basically sticking to lean Proteins, veggies, fruit, which I tolerate really well. So I don't count calories that much, although I can't get enough in.

As long as you are eating healthy stuff, and drinking Water or non calorie, non carbonated liquids, to me, it really isn't a problem. Its the old stuff not on that list that gets us in trouble.

Or in my case the malnutrition but everyone has to have something. LOL.

Er, pass!

:lol: :lol: totally missed i did that! of course i meant bowl! lol

Funnily enough about 5mins after posting this I had 2 small plums then 5mins after them had a small pear - puked up half the pear lol