Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How often do you weigh yourself?

Twice a day....once at night before I go to bed, and once in the morning. It is when I never weighed myself that I tended to gain weight in the past.

Gotta do it every day. In the morning after I pee.

Once a week.

I'm a bit of a numbers obsessive (statistician here) but have managed to stop weighing every day -- it was only driving me crazy. Really cray cray.

Now I tend to weigh on Sundays and Thursdays. I am tempted to get rid of the scale but I really want to hold myself accountable and I think it is important to understand what is happening. I know if I'm avoiding the scale then I must think I'm gaining in some way. It's also helpful to track all the other macros and get a sense of what works for you.

I'm beginning to accept that there is very little science to this and a lot of learning to be patient and go with intuition.

*sips morning Protein shake*

I don't own a scale or I'd live on it.

In the first year postop, I only weighed when I saw my surgeon. Nowadays, I weigh about once a month.

2-3 times a week. i dont fret much over what i see, since the general trend is down. i do know some people need to weigh every day so they can stay mindful of what they are doing. others i see totally obsess and beat the crap out of themselves if they dont see what they want on the scale. i dont know if there is any answer that works for everyone. i guess its all about how it works for you.

Every day! I tried the once a week thing, and found it more discouraging. I weigh every morning but I only record it when it's a new low, which means recording my weight is always happy and it captures those .2 losses. I don't freak out if one day is higher as long as trend is down.

I am down to about every two or three days and working towards once a week as my goal. I also like to measure every couple of weeks. I enjoy seeing the progress from all of the hard work.

I only weigh twice per month when I go to my therapist. She specializes in eating disorders (I have BED and exercise Bulimia), so she has a lot of experience dealing with disappointing weigh-ins.

I didn't think I would be able to handle weighing in so infrequently but wow, is it a relief! Not only do I not have a number hanging over my head every day, when I see that steady 6 pounds coming off every two weeks, it feels so much better than a quarter or half pound here or there. I feel like I'm actually getting somewhere, whereas when I would weigh daily I always felt like I was in a stall.

When I hit one year post-op, my therapist and I are going to take a sledgehammer to my scale! :)

Like many others, I weigh myself most days, in the morning after going to the bathroom and before eating, but I don't get too worried about minor fluctuations.

I am only 5 days post op so I don't know where I'll settle in at in regards to weighing. Generally once a day in the morning after peeing. I do believe in making "corse corrections" when I see feedback. Preop, when I was eating clean, I weighed every day. When I was "cheating" I would skip weighing out of avoidance. When I finally would, I'd see the result. Weighing makes me accountable to some degree. So does MFP which I never cheat on. I lost 28 pounds preop. I've lost 10 in a week. In these early weeks, it's probably going to be all over the place. My WW scale sucked. It wouldn't vary by even an ounce for days. I got another scale and it is legit. If I miss a day, it doesn't make me crazy.

I started out weighing myself every day(same place same time). I was never upset if it went up a little during the week b/c the number to me that really counted was the weigh in at end of the week. I then started to go whole weeks without weighing in to eventually two weeks. This is the same time my number seemed to go up and or stall so I started to weigh myself everyday again. I am just one of those people who need to see how I am doing for accountability reasons.

Edited by hatters

No less than 2 times a day. Am I obsessed over it? Absolutely... It may be an excuse but I do this because I feel like it helps me keep myself in check. If I am not weighing daily then I must not care that I gain weight back.

The scale does not control me though. I just like to know where I am on the daily.

Thank you for writing out my thoughts. :D

No less than 2 times a day. Am I obsessed over it? Absolutely... It may be an excuse but I do this because I feel like it helps me keep myself in check. If I am not weighing daily then I must not care that I gain weight back.

The scale does not control me though. I just like to know where I am on the daily.

Thank you for writing out my thoughts. :D

You may want to do a little house cleaning up there. It took a bit to dig through your head..... :D

Edited by indecision

I so identify with your posting @@elfnow!

When maintaining weight with the band (it's a long story!) I used to weigh myself every day... probably twice a day... or possibly three or four or five times a DAY when the cravings to weigh myself got really bad!... LOL I felt that acting on my weighing cravings didn't cause much longterm harm, so better to weigh myself, than act on a craving to eat candy/sweets. Writing it now it looks completely ridiculous to be weighing several times in one day, but I only used to "count" one weigh a week on a Saturday morning and would track that one only! The other weighs in between weren't really me weighing myself, they were more like when you glance at your watch to check the time.. you know what the time is but are just checking!

My reasons to weigh myself were:

- weigh in the morning... start of the day and hopefully weigh less than he night before!

- weigh in the evening ... end if the day, and see if any difference

- weigh after going to the gym.. why not?!

- weigh with less clothes on... nothing like good news!

- weigh after... hmmmmm, no reason needed. But particularly when I was monitoring weightloss with gastric band and maintaining I felt a real need to keep a check

I didn't so repeat weighing all the time though. For many weeks is weigh once or twice a week and not be too hung up on it. Then I'd have really intense periods where my clothes these were either getting tighter or looser and I'd want to weigh much more often.., right up there at 17348 times a day like @@elfnow :)

I could EASILY tip over into weighing myself 17384 times a day (drank Water then peed! Weigh self! Ate a graham cracker, weigh self! Looked at a cake! Weigh self!!) ...