Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else doing well with weight loss but scared to death you'll screw it all up

I had plenty of self doubts, especially since I was NOT a success story with my first weight loss surgery. I think the positive thing to do is turn that "bit of fear" into a healthy respect for the life long diligence this will take to maintain.

My surgeon told me in my one year follow up appointment that year 2 and 3 were just as important as year one. Year one is all roses and smiles as you lose the weight and feel great.... and then comes maintenance. He reminded me that I have the disease of obesity and that WLS has helped me get my main symptom (excess weight) under control. BUT to never forget, I still have the disease of obesity and always will... and that fat would love to move back in.

My surgery was Dec 2011, I have been at goal since Feb 2013 and i remain diligent and still maintain a "healthy fear/respect" toward the threat of regain.

A great reminder to us all. Very well said.

Out of bad habits (and a very neurotic childhood), every time my chest hurts, I think my Lola the Lappy has become dislodged and is floating around my body.

I know everyone is laughing but I still think Pop-Rocks and soda will make me combust. (for reals)

I think about this all the time - I feel like I could fail at a moments notice because I've done it so many times before!

Out of bad habits (and a very neurotic childhood), every time my chest hurts, I think my Lola the Lappy has become dislodged and is floating around my body.

I know everyone is laughing but I still think Pop-Rocks and soda will make me combust. (for reals)

Wow, Pop-Rocks and soda, what a throw back!! I remember eating those together as a kid hahaha. You won't combust, I promise :)

I didn't get a chance to read all the replies yet but I can tell the OP that you are not alone. Losing weight is easy..keeping it off now that's hard.

My story is simple and I've told it here many times so I apologize to those reading it for the umteenth time.

In 2003 I was 393lbs and I was at an all time low mentally and physically. A couple of friends from work bought me an Atkins book and begged me to read it. I agreed and the 3 of us set off on our journey supporting one another. We all lost weight. In 19 months I went from 393 to 220 just low carbing. I felt great and I was on top of the world. Then suddenly out of nowhere it seemed I let my guard down and I gained all my weight back plus another 90+lbs.

In just over 10 years time I went from 393 to 220 back up to 488!! Today, I was 207.

I am very much afraid of history repeating itself regardless of the tool and new lifestyle change. I spent a lot of energy angry and hating myself for what I did. It took me a very long time to make peace with it. On the flip side I have become obsessed about losing weight and what is sad is I am not satisfied with where I am at. I am proud of what I've accomplished but not satisfied if that makes sense. Sometimes my attitude plain sucks and I say big deal I am 12lbs lighter then I was in 2003 and look what I had to go through to get here. Still beats the alternative though.

You will hear mixed opinions in regards to weighing in daily. I am a 'pro weigh in daily' advocate. Lifestyle change/tool does not matter unless you know exactly where you are on the scale. I can weigh myself and be up 2 pounds one day or I can wait a whole week to weigh in and find out I am up 5. 2 comes off quicker than 5 and that scale keeps me accountable. It is a tool just like my band.

I wish you the best and hope you hit that goal and maintain it.

Wow Jim I didn't look at the scale weighing in thing like that but that's a great idea!!! Thanks, and I wish you luck on getting your happiness where you want it!!!!

I am obsessed with my scale. I weigh myself all the time. I feel it makes me accountable. I know that some people have said to get rid of the scale. I didn't have a scale for a few years and the weight that I gained was ALOT (before wls). So, I feel like if I weigh myself often I can make any kind of adjustments that I need to accomplish my goal weight. I know that this might not be the case for some of you, but I still don't trust myself at all! I am not going to agonize about a couple of pounds, but it makes me honest with myself.

Well the problem is if you weigh in daily it may look like your weight loss is going very very slow at times. If you are the type of person whose day will be completely ruined by the number on the scale than I don't recommend weighing daily. Daily weigh ins is not for everyone that's for sure. There have been times when I've taken breaks from weighing in daily because my attitude was getting sour. It can be a double edged sword...

Edited by Jim1967

I don't think being scale obsessed is good AT ALL.

I am a daily weigher, same time every morning, and I don't let little fluctuations concern me. It is useful though because like others have said...i can tell when I am trending UP. I regained 5# after hitting goal.. it took months to do it. It wasn't a single weigh in, it was a trend up. Regular monitoring kept that from turning into 15 or 50 pounds regain.

I maintain a bounce range. Right now I am maintaining around 150... my bounce range is 146-151 and I watch trends rather than a single day weigh in.

When you are in the rapid weight loss stage of your journey, say the first twelve to eighteen months following surgery, daily weighing can, for some, be quite self defeating. Even devastating. We have to look no further than this forum for examples. Again and again we see "I'm doing everything right and I gained two pounds!" or "I'm so discouraged" or "I'm so afraid this will all be for nothing" or "I'm so afraid this will be just another failure" or "I just want to cry" or "What am I doing wrong?" or, or, or...

Your goal is physical change but your challenge is mental discipline. Trust the process and the weight will take care of itself. Instead of giving so much power to a number on the scale, perhaps it makes more sense to focus that energy on following your plan. Every day that you follow your plan is a great day. Every day that you do everything right is a huge success. One that is much more important, much more profound, and has much greater long term significance than any number on the scale. Every day is a day to Celebrate. You are living the Prime Directive - lifestyle changes. Every day they get just a little easier. Every day they become more and more of who you are. Which is, always has been, and always will be, so much more than a number on the scale.

It's never too early to start lovin' the new you!

I don't think being scale obsessed is good AT ALL.

I am a daily weigher, same time every morning, and I don't let little fluctuations concern me. It is useful though because like others have said...i can tell when I am trending UP. I regained 5# after hitting goal.. it took months to do it. It wasn't a single weigh in, it was a trend up. Regular monitoring kept that from turning into 15 or 50 pounds regain.

I maintain a bounce range. Right now I am maintaining around 150... my bounce range is 146-151 and I watch trends rather than a single day weigh in.

I do exactly the same thing Cowgirl! Once you get to the maintenance stage of your journey, the scale becomes an invaluable tool for managing your weight. I started weighing every day once I got to maintenance. Weight is a little high, reduce the calories a little. Weight is a little low, increase the calories a little. I've done both many times. That has allowed me to hold my weight within a five pound "window" for over a year and a half. Works like a charm!

A lot like driving...isn't it?

At first we realize we have to turn around and go the other way. Changing direction requires a major effort on the steering wheel.

After driving somewhat wildly for a while we settle on the confines of the proper road.

Letting loose of the wheel now would be disastrous,.. eyes on the road...hands on forever.

However, corrections do not come as hard now as long as diligence and clear thinking prevail.

Gman I just have to tell you - your analogies are nothing short of brilliant. I so enjoy reading your posts on any subject. We are fortunate to have you as a member!

Scared? Yes. All the time. But that is good right now. I was told by someone at work yesterday "you look great, you have lost so much weight. ....again". This was just a very good reminder for me for that I have had a very, very long history of weight loss and weight gain. Usually in the past this was the moment I would feel defeated and give up. I totally recognize this behavior now and am much stronger to just let it go. We can ALL do this! Keep up the great work.