Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So... I have a confession to make. I haven't weighed myself in over 2 years. I know I am at my heaviest I have ever been... now I am just afraid to see how bad it is.

I know I should look, but I am not ready for the emotional tank stepping on the scale will bring.

I have surgery in two months, I know I am over 300... I don't know... I really dont know what to do? Any advice?

Don't do it!! The emotional upheaval it will cause you won't be worth it. Surgery will be in 2 months, I'm assuming you've been weighed by the Doctor's office there is no real need for you to know how much you weigh right now. Wait until after surgery and your losing weight... Then, you can worry about how much you used to weigh. Whatever you decide, I wish you the best! ☺️

I have to disagree. I think it is time to step on that scale and face your fears head on. I chose to make a lot of changes prior to surgery, including giving up soda and other foods that did me no good, and it made the transition much easier. For me facing my weigh problem head on and tackling some of my problem foods before surgery helped show me I had the power to change. While WLS is an amazing tool, that is all it is. It is not a magic pill, and to lose weight still requires hard work and diligence, even after surgery.

You know...Brant, I think you are right. I am at where I am because I couldn't face my weight. I kept trying to pretend it wasn't a problem. If I am really going to turn my life around I need to face it head on, with my feet firmly planted and a clear notion of where I am headed. :) Thanks. Sometimes I guess all you need is a nudge in the right direction.

You know...Brant, I think you are right. I am at where I am because I couldn't face my weight. I kept trying to pretend it wasn't a problem. If I am really going to turn my life around I need to face it head on, with my feet firmly planted and a clear notion of where I am headed. :) Thanks. Sometimes I guess all you need is a nudge in the right direction.

I think most of us who are on here have been (and in some ways still are) right where you are. I found by facing it, it no longer became something I was afraid of, and instead I gained the confidence that I could take it on. I say this, but I am still working on my own internal self talk in my head. Despite having lost 88 pounds in 5 months, I still get down on myself. I think that is probably going to be the toughest thing for me to fix on this journey. I think the key thing is to work on figuring out how you got to where you are and what some of the causes are. No sense in bringing all that extra baggage along even after you've lost the weight right?

I think most of us who are on here have been (and in some ways still are) right where you are. I found by facing it, it no longer became something I was afraid of, and instead I gained the confidence that I could take it on. I say this, but I am still working on my own internal self talk in my head. Despite having lost 88 pounds in 5 months, I still get down on myself. I think that is probably going to be the toughest thing for me to fix on this journey. I think the key thing is to work on figuring out how you got to where you are and what some of the causes are. No sense in bringing all that extra baggage along even after you've lost the weight right?

Right. :) Good for you for losing 88 pounds. I think that when we can push negative thoughts from our head and replace them with postitive ones, it can make the experience easier. I think what I am going to do is when I step on the scale to not go "oh no... I have failed," but to say "okay, its a number. Now what can I do to change that number and move forward." What do you think?

Edited by asamannj

I would step on that scale and use it as a beginning part for my new life, knowing where you came from and where you are going is important to me . I would get a journal and began writing as well, take one day at time and began making changes and taking accountability for your eating patterns . As stated by another reader above small changes now will make it easier for you when you have your procedure . Good luck.

Edited by Cupcake

A few months ago I was chatting with a woman at a party. She had heard I had surgery & she asked me how I was doing. I said I was doing great...I told her I had started at 320 & told her whatever I weighed at that time. She said, Wow...you really put it out there so matter of fact. Most of us women never discuss our weight so honestly. My response was, "Well, I had this surgery to help myself be better in several ways, and BS-ing around the truth wouldn't help me do that. Before you can truly fix a problem, you have to own it. If I wasn't willing to own this, I'd really be limiting myself in terms of how well I can fix it."

In my opinion, we don't do ourselves any favors by hiding from the truth. It's not always necessary to wave it in front of others, but keep it in plain sight for yourself. Good luck to you...you can do this!