Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Four months out- bizarre occurrence today

How often do any of you get short lasting dizzy spells after standing up post op? I have to take beta blockers because I have A-Fib, and something really bad happened today. I was on my way to work, stopped to get a cup of coffee, and got out of my car, got the dizzy spell, and completely blacked out on the sidewalk outside the store. I came too and noticed my hands and forehead and chin were cut up pretty bad. I had no idea what had happened as three people were helping me up. I called the surgery clinic and they asked if I had eaten and drank that morning, which I had. Then they said it must be your heart meds and to call the cardiologist and tell them what happened. The cardiologist said it sounded like low BP/heart rate, so they are going to see if they need to reduce my meds since I've lost 65 pounds since first being diagnosed with a-fib. The dizziness was much more common a few months ago- as my heart meds were at full dosage. People at work asked if it was low blood sugar, who knows. Was the strangest thing to happen and hopefully will be the strangest thing I have to go through during this change.

Def sounds like your heart meds need to be reduced. Blood sugar wouldn't be a pass-out-wake-up thing; if you lose consciousness due to too little blood sugar, you stay out til you get some. Also, hypoglycemia is generally resolved through dramatic weight reduction and healthier eating.., and you HAD eaten that morning! It wasn't blood sugar... It's totally your heart meds.

<p>How often do any of you get short lasting dizzy spells after standing up post op? I have to take beta blockers because I have A-Fib, and something really bad happened today. I was on my way to work, stopped to get a cup of coffee, and got out of my car, got the dizzy spell, and completely blacked out on the sidewalk outside the store. I came too and noticed my hands and forehead and chin were cut up pretty bad. I had no idea what had happened as three people were helping me up. I called the surgery clinic and they asked if I had eaten and drank that morning, which I had. Then they said it must be your heart meds and to call the cardiologist and tell them what happened. The cardiologist said it sounded like low BP/heart rate, so they are going to see if they need to reduce my meds since I've lost 65 pounds since first being diagnosed with a-fib. The dizziness was much more common a few months ago- as my heart meds were at full dosage. People at work asked if it was low blood sugar, who knows. Was the strangest thing to happen and hopefully will be the strangest thing I have to go through during this change.</p>

So sorry to hear this happened to u! Hopefully between ur cardiologist and ur surgeon they can get to the root of this. An adjustment to ur heart meds may be what's needed.

I was having really bad dizzy spells right after surgery. Dr said it was blood pressure and took me off my meds. Not one spell since then. Hope they figure it out fast!! Take care until they do!

Yes i would agree your blood pressure is dropping rapidly.. your medication needs to be adjusted... Happened to me. I was off blood pressure medicines quickly.. Id say within a month or so .

Chris

Thanks for the replies, I feel much better today and going to purchase a bp monitor. Forgive the off topic question, but my face looks like someone beat me up is there any kind of makeup or concealer I could get like at Target to cover the scrapes and scratches on my face? Much appreciated!

Don't put makeup on abrasions. It sucks, but the makeup will slow healing and may cause some scarring. Try using neosporin cream to speed healing, and clean it with sea salt Water, if you can find H2Ocean, it's great. It's available at tattoo shops, and sometimes hot topic sells it. It's used to help body piercings heal.

I have had low blood pressure all my life, and dizzy and fainting spells are common when it gets too low. I eat a ton of salt, and always have gatorade as it helps to increase blood pressure. I can't tell you how many times i passed out when I was pregnant with my daughter. My average bp is something like 70/50. Nurses always double checked my bp, and I would always say, "yes, I'm fat and have low bp". They couldn't believe it was that low without meds.

Definitely heart meds. Get them adjusted ASAP. Critical care nurse here. Blood sugar symptoms give warning signs very different than those. You need to sit and SLOWLY rise, stand for 30 sec or so before starting to walk. WLS creates lower volume to pump around. Your heart will beat faster to compensate. Beta blockers prevent the faster heart rate. You can't compensate for activity or postural changes. Be safe! Get checked quick!

I can get dizzy if I haven't drunk enough Water... I have to be mindful of that...

I can get dizzy if I haven't drunk enough Water... I have to be mindful of that...

I get dizzy, too, and am not on heart meds nor am I diabetic. I do struggle to get all my liquids in, so THANK YOU for this info.