Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all. Just feeling discouraged and need to vent to people that can relate. I'll be 6 weeks out on Thursday and am struggling. I was feeling really badly last week after being constipated for a week (sorry if tmi). The nurse have me some suggestions that got things moving but then I spent several days cramping and feeling naseau. She put me back on clears for a day, which did help a little, but I got off track with liquids and Proteins. I'm really having a hard time getting back on track. I'm trying to make myself drink the Protein shakes once a day but last night it made me literally sick. I'm only supposed to eat 3x per day and just can't get enough Protein in with the amount of good I can eat. Nothing tastes good or satisfies and I don't even really want to eat. Water even upsets my stomach so getting at least one power ade zero per day, but lacking in fluids as well. I'm tired and don't feel good if I don't eat but feel even worse if I do. I hate to be a whiner, and I certainly never thought I would see the day that I didn't want to eat, but it's all catching up with me. I'm worried about the effects over the next few months of me not getting the protein I need now.

Can anyone relate? Any tips?

have you tried several Protein powders? I'm sorry you are struggling.

Have you tried making your own popsicles or Jello with unflavored Protein in them. The shakes have started getting to me pre-op because of the sweetness. I've reduced the flavored scoops to one and have added one scoop of unflavored, much better.

Start trying Protein drinks till you find one that you like and sip on that. I love premier Protein- I drink one for Breakfast, and depending on my food, I'll have 1/2 of one in the PM too- that is 45 grams of Protein. Trial and error but not getting protein in and low calories will screw your metabolism up even more.

I do have issues with water- I'm so busy at work! I got maybe 30 oz of Water in today, and am sitting here with a headache regretting it, and I had some ham for dinner so I am too full to drink. Tomorrow I'll just remember how crappy I feel now and drink my darn Water.

Hope it gets better for you!

I agree. Try different Protein Shakes. There are a lot to choose from. Also, the Vitamin Shoppe has individual size Protein Powder packets. It's nice to spend a couple dollars of not like it vs. buying a huge tub. Good luck!

Thanks everyone! I have tried numerous different proteins; ready to drink and powder . The premiere Protein is the best I've found but is the one that made me sick. I struggle with the sweetness as well. Just thinking about it makes my tummy rumble. I have a tub of unflavored but it just looks so bad I've been afraid to try it. I will though, that's great advice. Was thinking about some Quest bars but can't try those for 2 more weeks. This is the first time I've been discouraged, and I know it will pass. You all sure make a girl feel not so alone in it all. :)

I had the same problem so I switched to unflavored Protein. Finally got going by masking it by making shakes in my blender at home. Can't stand the sweet of the artificial sweeteners. I still struggle to get my protein and calories in (at 8 weeks out) and it is probably what is slowing my weight loss. Hang in there -- it gets better as you heal.

Have you tried unjury chicken Soup? Thats pretty good and a good change of pace from all the regular sweet flavors. Try adding the unflavored to chicken or beef broth, just can't add it to really hot Water, over 120 degrees I think, or it gets clumpy. Swanson also has some flavor infused broths, I haven't tried them yet, but seems like it may be an alternative to plain chicken or beef broth. Good luck to you.

Edited by Torias mom

I'll be 6 weeks on Thursday as well. The premiere Protein Shakes were way too sweet for me. I drink the EAS brand from Wal-Mart has 17 grams Protein. I also picked up a canister of whey protein, chocolate Peanut Butter flavor for like $15 at Wal-Mart too. It has 30 grams of protein per scoop. I eat laughing cow cheese wedges, string cheese, scrambled egg whites, Soups, cottage cheese, greek yogurts, pink salmon, tuna, hummus and tilapia. I have no problems getting my protein in, just my Water.< /p>

I used to drink the premiere prior to surgery and really liked them. Now, in my first week out when I was going to rely on them I can't hardly stomach them. Sorry, no pun intended! I think I am going to take the advice of the chicken flavored Unjury. I have read lots of good things about it on this forum. Hang in there! You got this!

I used to drink the premiere prior to surgery and really liked them. Now, in my first week out when I was going to rely on them I can't hardly stomach them. Sorry, no pun intended! I think I am going to take the advice of the chicken flavored Unjury. I have read lots of good things about it on this forum. Hang in there! You got this!

. I couldn't stand any of the Protein Drinks I liked before surgery after. It took me a few weeks to readjust. For me it got easier but did take a bit. Good luck!