Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Previous DVT? High risk I know..anyone else get sleeve with this prior diagnosis?

I had a DVT years and am supposed to be on coumadin but havent taken it in at least a couple years. The PTO was never right and I couldnt afford to go see dr. every single week. Im told this makes me high risk. I know blood clots are serious business. Anyone else out there that has had the surgery and previously diagnosed with blood clots?

Yes, I had a blood clot in 2009 which blew & passed through heart & lungs (scary day!), then had lap band surgery in 2011, then band removed in 2013 then sleeve surgery in October 2013. I was on Coumadin for 2 years then stopped since no reason for DVT could be determined. My hematologist suspected it was possibly related to birth control pills. In any case before each surgery my history was discussed and heparin shots administered. Prior to the lap band surgery my surgeon put me on 5 days of home administered heparin shots - it wasn't fun but it was doable & gave me reassurance that we were being proactive to prevent another DVT. Good luck to you, I am sure you will be fine just because you are already looking for answers :)

@@LuckyT Thank you so much. I was worried because no one seemed to be responding to this post..You really made my day. I immediately showed my fiance, just to ease his nerves a bit too.

Hey there! Just saw your thread. I had bilateral pulmonary emboli 2 years ago. They never were able to figure out why all of a sudden I had blood clots In both lungs or where they came from. I have been on Coumadin since then. I only go for blood checks once a month since my levels are consistent. I came off the Coumadin and went on the shots prior to the surgery and then went back on the shots after surgery while the Coumadin built back up in my system. Piece of cake. I was also careful to get up and moving some which they make you do after surgery anyway. It is a risk that warrants consideration but it's not a deal breaker. I hope this helped!

I've had DVT's and PE's. I haven't had my surgery yet but I've had other surgeries. Like Sophie said, they switch me from coumadin tabs to lovenox shots just before the surgery then switch back to coumadin tabs after the surgery. As long as they monitor your INR just before and after the surgery I dont think its a big issue for you.

I had a home INR testing machine (because i have trouble staying in therapeutic range) so its easy for me to keep tabs on my INR,