Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2014 Sleevers Check In!

No rumbles. I can eat most anything, but stick mostly to Protein (meats and some beans) and a few veggies if there's room. I'm still getting "stuck" fairly regularly and have to excuse myself to get rid of a piece of chicken or pork that didn't make it all the way down. But I consider that a small price to pay for being able to lose 100 pounds in six months! I'm pretty close to goal, and have my 6-month appointment with my surgeon next week. I'm going to ask him how to expand my diet for maintenance without sliding down any slippery slopes. (In my mind, that means starch and sugar.) Or will my body adjust and find its ideal weight even if I keep eating the way I am now? Don't want to get too thin, but don't want to start gaining either!

Congrats fellow June sleevers. I had my surgery on June 25 and am down by 82 pounds with 19 to go. I mostly stick to lean meats, Quest Protein Bars, and Bariatric Advantage shakes and I keep fresh veggies in the house to eat to "fill in the gaps" if I get hungry and don't want to add many calories to the mix. I also eat other high Protein "prepared foods" to keep it interesting. It has been the best money I have ever spent. Feeling fantastic! I fly a lot because all three of my kids live in different states (Oregon, Kentucky, New York) and I live in Texas. Flying is a totally different and actually enjoyable experience for me now. Happy New Year! :D

I'm not able to drink the Protein Shakes and hold it down.... The result of that I have lost a lot of hair!!!! Any advice is welcome!

MsBeauty, Have you tried the Quest Protein bars? You can get them at GNC or order them directly from the company. I order them directly from the company online (Google Quest Bars). They have 20 gm of Protein each and they come in a wide variety of flavors. I usually have one of those per day and more when I am traveling. I also keep Pure Protein Bars at all times in case I run out of the Quest bars before they are delivered and those have similar calorie and protein counts. Also, Premiere Protein has Protein Drinks that are 160 calories each and 30 gm of protein. I use those when I don't feel like making a bariatric shake. They are ready to drink. They are also very smooth, not grainy, and come in a variety of flavors. I especially like the chocolate ones. I liked the vanilla ones preoperatively, but have not liked them postop. I also take Biotin 10,000 mcg instead of 5,000 mcg. 10,000 is the recommended dose for people who have had gastric bypass. So, I went with the stronger dose. I also never miss any of the recommended vitamins/supplements. I have lost some hair, but not a lot and I expect it to stop soon since I am not losing as rapidly as I was. I hope this information is helpful. Good luck.

ChristmasJanet YES that was very helpful..... I was unaware of the Protein Bar, that's awesome I'll try that! Premiere ready to drink is what I tried post surgery and I just could not drink those. I have the Biotin pills not sure of the MCGs at this time and I also take Nature Made hair Nail Skin pills daily. What the hair pills and all the Vitamins I take, I'm getting really stopped up!!! Sovi decided to take my pills in 2s... So I'm taking them all basically every other day! Any suggestions on the stool issue?

MsBeauty I use Miralax or Senokot (not Senokot S). I have the same problem. Walmart sells a small pack of the Premiere Protein Shakes. If you haven't tried them since right after surgery, you might get a small pack and try it. I find that it takes me awhile to drink one because they are 11 oz. So, I just take my time and drink them very slowly. I also use Bariatric Advantage shakes and like the banana, vanilla, and strawberry ones the best. I mix them with FF milk instead of Water. You could maybe order a few samples of the different flavors and try that, but you really have to use a blender. Otherwise, it just lumps together. I am not sure where you are located. I live in Texas and we have HEB grocery stores. They sell an HEB brand of FF milk called Mootopia. It has 12 gm of Protein per cup. But, it is a Texas chain. I am glad you found my previous post helpful.

Hey Fellow June Sleevers. I had a ton of complications and spent 2 months in the hospital. I ve been on a feeding tube since July.....and ......had it removed last Friday ( yeah for milestones).

The problem? The tube feed was high in calories and carbs and now I am craving sugar like a fiend. I spent so long not eating, that I am eating everything I see......I need to get on board with a healthy plan...but having a hard time of it. Any suggestions in getting on track? What worked for you back in June and July?

So sorry about your complications. I find that Quest bars satisfy my urge for sweet flavors. They are available at GNC or online. I order them online from their website and have them delivered to my house. Some aren't so good, but most of them are yummy. They have low sugar, low net carbs, and around 20 gm of Protein. Hope you do well from here on in!

Yes! Love Quest bars and just found a youtube video on making them at home. Sounds easy.

The Quest and Atkins bars are good. I've been blessed with no side effects too. 142 lbs in 6 months...lovin it.

MsBeauty, I always put either PB2 or half a banana in my Premier Protein shake to make it more palatable then give it a whiz in the NutriBullet. Makes a huge difference for me.

I'm down 75 since surgery on June 17th. Going to the gym three times a week, taking a line dancing class and getting a little conceited from all the compliments. :) So happy I went through with surgery after years of contemplation!

All you guys are AWESOME!! I love this app and the support everyone is giving!!!! Everyone please keep up the good work and you all are in my prayer's!

Is anybody struggling now?

I feel hungry now, I don't overeat but I do try different foods not chocolate or chips

I am not loosing weigh now just staying the same I do however need to lose at least 40lbs

I work so many hours at work don't have time or energy to exercise, plus I like to be outdoors exercising and the snow plus cold weather put me off

I understand where you are coming from. My grandmother had a stroke and her dementia escalated and the stress of that, work and life in general as taken the focus off my weight loss. I haven't gained but I'm not losing and not really trying. Thanks for all the recent post, every time I get an updated message from this thread it reminds me of our far I've come. I've spent an hour reading through some of our old messages and its inspired me to stay the course and not just settle for 170 pounds. 145 is my goal and I need to get up, get out and get to work on these last 25 pounds. I'd love to have my goal in by this time in May. Thanks again for all the encouragement. Again, continued success to all, especially my fellow June sleevers.