Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting sleeved is a big decision, not to be taken lightly. One has to do their best a few times and attemp to lose the weight the old fashion way before considering the surgery. Remember the surgery is only a tool. One still has to be diet conscience after surgery. I am 4 weeks post op and can say it's not as easy as some think. It is also my opinion that age is a big consideration. One needs to have experience life some to have the tools to deal with life after WLS. There are no do overs.

My wife has been very supportive and dieted with me. She has lost a noticable amount of weight along side of me. Both of us enjoy cooking and have been having fun adapting our favorite meals to support our new dietary needs. I would say there is a good chance you will loose the weight while supporting your husband and not require surgery. Just cutting out the bad carbs and not drinking makes a huge difference.

I started not wanting surgery. I wanted the weight management my insurance would pay for. I dieted and worked and lost 27 pounds. And during the process I discovered the reason I should have surgery. I can't do it alone. I tried. I would suggest you see what your insurance needs. Do they require the 6 months weight management before approving surgery? If so, maybe you could explore both options and have nearly 6 months to decide.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

I'd like to commend you for supporting your husband. I don't have that support from my husband, and it hurts sometimes. That said, your WLS is for you. As others said, all other avenues should have been exhausted first. Sure, you'll probably take off some weight along with him now, but will you be able to keep it off? Maybe, maybe not. I was never able to keep weight off before my band.

I'd advise you to start the investigation process. See your primary care practitioner and let him/her know you're planning WLS. Start the process. It takes a long time for approval anyway. You can always change your mind if you decide not to do it. However, I suspect that as you watch your husband succeed, and do the diet along with him, you'll want it for yourself. If that's the case, don't lose precious months now just thinking it over. Like I said, nothing's final until the day of surgery.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

I started at 225 and am now 183 after 6 months and extensive exercise. For loss over 100 pounds I would not recommend the band. Will have better long term results with the sleeve or bypass.

I started at 225 and am now 183 after 6 months and extensive exercise. For loss over 100 pounds I would not recommend the band. Will have better long term results with the sleeve or bypass.

With all due respect, unless you are the OPs physician, you should never recommend a particular WLS based on such a blanket statement. There is nothing wrong with providing your personal experience, but this type of comment provides no value.

There are several bandsters on this forum who have and had 100+ pounds to lose and many, including myself have done just that.

There is nothing wrong with suggesting the OP talk to his/her professionals and due due diligence in terms of investigating all options but it is not appropriate to influence this type of decision.