Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hii all! I am new to the forum. I'm having revision surgery. Going from gastric plication to RNY bypass. I am approved by insurance and scheduled for surgery on 3/31. My doctor does not have me on a pre-op diet and he does not enforce one prior to the weekend leading up to surgery. I was wondering what the pre-op diet consists of for others out there. I have had way too many "last suppers" anticipating surgery and have put on additional pounds. I need to buckle down over the next few weeks and get my mind and body prepared. I welcome any input. :rolleyes: Thanks! - Janet

My preop diet consists of the week before surgery, I have two Protein Shakes and a lean cuisine, smart one, or healthy choice for dinner. Clear Liquids the day before surgery. The doctor already has me the two Protein shakes and a healthy dinner, so the preop week shouldn't be to bad.

Thank you so much! I just got my bariatric Protein drinks in the mail that I ordered onLine. I think I'll start them now and get used to them again. I like the idea of doing the drinks plus 1 meal. I also need to cut the caffeine this week. My mindset has been so out of whack since I got my date for my revision. Need to get my brain and my willpower (I hate that word) where they need to be for 3/31.

My prep diet is only 3 days of Clear Liquids. However, I have a lot of behavior modification tasks given to me by the nutritionist. The most important thing is 3 meals a day, which I'm terrible at doing at this point. The main problem is my schedule. I've been instructed to have 3 meals a day, 5 to 5.5 hours apart. I have class 3 days a week from 11 to 2 which is pretty much when I need to eat. Then I'm in the car for an hour. So lunch is a real problem. I think I'm going to add a Protein shake at for my "lunch" to try to get on a schedule. I like the GNC Total Lean ready made.

Thanks Amy! When is your surgery? Mine is 3/31. Trying to do the 3 meals a day and will do clear liquids a few days before. I'd like to start substituting in some Protein drinks for meals. Waiting for the FedEx guy to deliver my mini blender :) Mixing Protein Drinks by hand isn't cutting it! powder just gets Gummy and not mixed well.

Hi JPeters! My surgery could have been on the same day as yours, but that is my daughter's birthday, so I opted for one week later! My dr requires a two week pre-surgery diet, but I have chosen to start it three weeks prior just to get used to it and start my weight loss off a little ahead of schedule! The diet is basically the Atkins diet. No more than 30 g carbs per day and at least 70 g Protein. My dietician gave me a great packet with some ideas for food, but I have just made my own outline with possibilities, and mainly just keep track of the carbs. The day before surgery I have to be on clear liquids only. I would imagine that the hospital will call you and you will have that same requirement as well. It is to make sure you have a completely empty stomach for surgery day. Good luck to you!!

Jpeters I agree hand making Protein shakes, even with that little ball thing, leave much to be desired!!! I'm a ready made girl which I need to work on.

My surgery is 4/15 so I'll be looking for progress reports from you since you are 2 weeks ahead if me!

I was originally 4/21 but a project that I was working on at work got postponed from 4/1 to June... So I quick called the surgeons office to see if they could move me up and (yay) they could. My docs pre-surgery diet ended up being super simple. He's not real strict about pre-surgery diets other than to cut out the caffeine and sodas (cut out sodas 2 years ago) and not go hog wild this week on the food. He said be sensible. Nothing but clear liquids next weekend. Have to do the "cleanse" over the weekend too (oh boy!). It is going to be so hard to focus at work this week. I'm like nesting...cleaning my house, throwng out and giving away the contents of my fridge, freezer and cabinets so there is nothing in there but bariatric friendly stuff. Making lists and trying out Protein drink concotions in the little blender. I keep arranging and rearranging my Protein drinks, Vitamins and supplies an the table. LOL Can you tell I'm just a little excited? :rolleyes:

Wow everyone that replied here I am a bit envious I am having my RNY surgery in Toronto on April 22nd. My surgeon David Lindsey has me on 4 weeks of Optifast. I am finishing up week 2. So far not too bad at all. I wonder why there are so many differences between surgeons after all a peach is a peach is a peach lol just wondering. :-)