Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tips from success stories

My surgery is April 22nd. I was told that I will be on Clear Liquids after surgery. For day 2 full fluids. I guess every Dr. Is different. I have been on Optifast for 3wks and have one more to go. Down 25lbs so far. Cant wait :-)

Stay positive, stay patient, maintain a food log and follow your plan. There will be times when you lose weight quickly, times when you lose more slowly, and times when the scale stubbornly refuses to move. No matter what is happening, follow your plan. Forget about second guessing why your weight is doing whatever it's doing - follow your plan. Every day that you follow your plan is a success. Celebrate every one. That is your definition of success, not what the scale happens to be doing on any given day. During the rapid weight loss period, stay away from the scales for at least a week and two would be even better. You have to allow your body to find its own way in its own time. Follow your plan as closely to the letter as you possibly can and before you know it...

You're gonna love the new you!!

Just a quick question and this may sound silly... BUT what if you don't have a plan (or weren't given one for example...)?

I mean sure, I was told to have Protein (they were vague on details. I think I was told 60g per day), loads of Water, and a Multivitamin... But that's about it! I haven't been told about the amount of carbs, fats, calories, or a specific meal plan to stick to...

It's a bit perplexing when you haven't got something to guide you...

Sooo to add to the original request on gaining tips. I'd like to ask, where did you 'plan' come from?

Phil

Did you have surgery in the US? If so call your doctors office and tell the medical assistant that you need some guidelines. You should be taking more Vitamins than just a multi and you REALLY need a plan. If they did not give you one, that would be scarey as to the competence of your team

PS. I had a "Bariatric Team" and got all my guidelines from them, in a nice book from the team. I call it my Bariatric Bible. Then when I see my doc he tweeks it as I progress

PS. I had a "Bariatric Team" and got all my guidelines from them, in a nice book from the team. I call it my Bariatric Bible. Then when I see my doc he tweeks it as I progress

Sounds like what they did in Detroit.

Stay positive, stay patient, maintain a food log and follow your plan. There will be times when you lose weight quickly, times when you lose more slowly, and times when the scale stubbornly refuses to move. No matter what is happening, follow your plan. Forget about second guessing why your weight is doing whatever it's doing - follow your plan. Every day that you follow your plan is a success. Celebrate every one. That is your definition of success, not what the scale happens to be doing on any given day. During the rapid weight loss period, stay away from the scales for at least a week and two would be even better. You have to allow your body to find its own way in its own time. Follow your plan as closely to the letter as you possibly can and before you know it...

Just a quick question and this may sound silly... BUT what if you don't have a plan (or weren't given one for example...)?

I mean sure, I was told to have Protein (they were vague on details. I think I was told 60g per day), loads of Water, and a Multivitamin... But that's about it! I haven't been told about the amount of carbs, fats, calories, or a specific meal plan to stick to...

It's a bit perplexing when you haven't got something to guide you...

Sooo to add to the original request on gaining tips. I'd like to ask, where did you 'plan' come from?

Phil

Not a silly question at all Phil. Following the surgery, most folks are given a plan (doctors will sometimes refer to it as a protocol) for reintroducing you to food. That progression is usually four to twelve weeks. The guidelines are different for each surgeon and each patient. It's important to strictly follow your surgeon's (or in some cases your dietician's) guidelines to avoid complications later on.

The progression is usually done in stages. For example: Clear liquids > full liquids > pureed food > soft food > and finally regular diet. But again, surgeons vary widely in the diet guidelines they recommend and often change those recommendations based on each individual patient. It is vitally important that you get your surgeon's recommendations.

Protein is extremely important and not something that you want to guess at. Ask your surgeon how many grams of protein he/she recommends and then do everything you can to meet that goal on a consistent, daily basis. The same goes for carbs and fat and also Water. Do not guess or assume. Ask questions and keep asking until you are confident that you know exactly what your dietary plan is. That's what your team is there for and you most certainly will not be the first to ask.

Beyond diet, the elements of my plan include:

• Stay positive - as long as you are following your plan, there is absolutely no doubt that you will lose weight. The laws of science and the universe cannot be denied. Trust the process.
  • Stay patient - forget about a timeline. Commit to following your plan for as long as it takes. Never compare your weight loss to someone else's weight loss. Everyone is different. There are simply too many variables.
  • Exercise - when cleared by your doctor, exercise at least three times a week. Exercise does not have to be synonymous with working your body to exhaustion. I lost 130 lbs just plain old walking. Three or more times per week. I started with 20 minutes each time. Today I walk about 3 miles at least three times a week, sometimes more. About two months ago I purchased a Total Gym and started doing strength training on the days I don't walk. So I get three days of cardio and three days of muscle toning per week. Lol - nobody is going to mistake me for Chuck Norris but I can honestly say I'm enjoying the strength training and there's no doubt that I feel even better!
  • Stay away from the scales - we all understand the temptation. But there are going to be times when you lose weight very quickly, other times when you lose more slowly, and still other times when you don't lose at all. You know those times are coming. You know they're all perfectly normal. If you measure your success by the number on the scale, it is frustrating, stressful, discouraging and even self-defeating. Regardless of what your weight is doing, your response is a l w a y s the same - follow your plan. The weight will take care of itself. Do your best to resist the temptation to weigh more often than every two weeks.
  • Maintain a food log - My Fitness Pal is highly recommended but there are a number of apps that do essentially the same thing. There are countless benefits to using a food log but perhaps this is the most important one - clinical studies have proven, again and again, that folks who maintain a food log lose more weight, lose it faster and are more successful at maintaining their weight than those who don't. Next to the surgery, food logs are the most powerful tool you can have in your arsenal.
  • Forget about a weight goal - I know, this is a tough one, but it has great benefits. Commit to following your plan until your body tells you that it's at the weight it wants to be at. In my case my weight stabilized at 155 just a little under 14 months post-op. Today, a year and a half later, I'm at 153. That's where my body wants to be. Your journey will be less stressful, less frustrating, more fun, and much easier if you just trust the process, trust your body, and let it happen.

Your goal is physical change but your challenge is mental discipline. Follow your plan and...

Pushing against thoughts, opinions and experiences that you disagree with is a missed opportunity to add your reinforcement and support of thoughts, opinions and experiences that you find valuable and beneficial. Perhaps the second option is a considerably more powerful contribution to our community.

Not a silly question at all Phil. Following the surgery, most folks are given a plan (doctors will sometimes refer to it as a protocol) for reintroducing you to food. That progression is usually four to twelve weeks. The guidelines are different for each surgeon and each patient. It's important to strictly follow your surgeon's (or in some cases your dietician's) guidelines to avoid complications later on.

The progression is usually done in stages. For example: Clear Liquids > full liquids > pureed food > soft food > and finally regular diet. But again, surgeons vary widely in the diet guidelines they recommend and often change those recommendations based on each individual patient. It is vitally important that you get your surgeon's recommendations.

Protein is extremely important and not something that you want to guess at. Ask your surgeon how many grams of Protein he/she recommends and then do everything you can to meet that goal on a consistent, daily basis. The same goes for carbs and fat and also Water. Do not guess or assume. Ask questions and keep asking until you are confident that you know exactly what your dietary plan is. That's what your team is there for and you most certainly will not be the first to ask.

Beyond diet, the elements of my plan include:

Stay positive - as long as you are following your plan, there is absolutely no doubt that you will lose weight. The laws of science and the universe cannot be denied. Trust the process.

Stay patient - forget about a timeline. Commit to following your plan for as long as it takes. Never compare your weight loss to someone else's weight loss. Everyone is different. There are simply too many variables.

Exercise - when cleared by your doctor, exercise at least three times a week. Exercise does not have to be synonymous with working your body to exhaustion. I lost 130 lbs just plain old walking. Three or more times per week. I started with 20 minutes each time. Today I walk about 3 miles at least three times a week, sometimes more. About two months ago I purchased a Total Gym and started doing strength training on the days I don't walk. So I get three days of cardio and three days of muscle toning per week. Lol - nobody is going to mistake me for Chuck Norris but I can honestly say I'm enjoying the strength training and there's no doubt that I feel even better!

Stay away from the scales - we all understand the temptation. But there are going to be times when you lose weight very quickly, other times when you lose more slowly, and still other times when you don't lose at all. You know those times are coming. You know they're all perfectly normal. If you measure your success by the number on the scale, it is frustrating, stressful, discouraging and even self-defeating. Regardless of what your weight is doing, your response is a l w a y s the same - follow your plan. The weight will take care of itself. Do your best to resist the temptation to weigh more often than every two weeks.

Maintain a food log - My Fitness Pal is highly recommended but there are a number of apps that do essentially the same thing. There are countless benefits to using a food log but perhaps this is the most important one - clinical studies have proven, again and again, that folks who maintain a food log lose more weight, lose it faster and are more successful at maintaining their weight than those who don't. Next to the surgery, food logs are the most powerful tool you can have in your arsenal.

Forget about a weight goal - I know, this is a tough one, but it has great benefits. Commit to following your plan until your body tells you that it's at the weight it wants to be at. In my case my weight stabilized at 155 just a little under 14 months post-op. Today, a year and a half later, I'm at 153. That's where my body wants to be. Your journey will be less stressful, less frustrating, more fun, and much easier if you just trust the process, trust your body, and let it happen.

Your goal is physical change but your challenge is mental discipline. Follow your plan and...

Thanks for the pointers guys!

Shmily I had my surgery in Australia and DLCoggin I went to my gp today and told him I don't have a goal. He said that with the constant reviews from the Dietician that I will be told to stop. But because it was only my gp I couldn't get into details like I would with the surgeon because he isn't overly involved with his input.

I will go over the papers I got and try to come up. With a plan. Otherwise I will ask my Dietician to make one... Only problem it costs like an additional $120.

Mainly what I think I'm. Expecting is a set structure that tells me to eat this or that at a particular time.

But again thank you guys all so much!

Pls no rushing ladies...yes clear fluids only during first week....let that stomach heal from surgery...no Protein til second week when you get introduced to Calcium products milk..yogurt..pureed Soups...youve come this far....it will go fast trust meim 2nd week post op..plenty of food but im taking it slow and watching fat and sodium content....any questions id be glad to help...i have nutritional course and am an LPN. Good luck

I don't think you can say that across the board. Each patient should follow their own doctors orders. Mine had me doing Protein shakes as soon as I was released from the hospital on day 3

I have my surgery Monday and my doctor is having me do clear liquids three days before and then when I leave the hospital clear liquids and Protein shake but not the whole shake at once. I think it depends on the doctor.

Hi ChefKelly

You indicated that you were going to have the operation on April 2. How did everything go? Did you experience any problems. At the beginning you probably experienced some fairly dramatic weight loss.

Jim

Hi ChefKelly You indicated that you were going to have the operation on April 2. How did everything go? Did you experience any problems. At the beginning you probably experienced some fairly dramatic weight loss. Jim

Hi, I'm about 5 weeks post op now and 38 pounds down but have been stalled for a week. I get anxiety that I'm eating too much or going to mess this up, it's a head game but I'm pushing forward

Edited by chefkelly

Congratulations on the weight loss. Stalls are fairly common. I came to a plateau about half way through my weight loss. Just stay with the regiment and you will do O.K.

Congratulations on the weight loss. Stalls are fairly common. I came to a plateau about half way through my weight loss. Just stay with the regiment and you will do O.K.

Thanks! How many calories have you been eating throughout the process? My doctor says not to count but it is hard for me not to have a gauge.

Thanks! How many calories have you been eating throughout the process? My doctor says not to count but it is hard for me not to have a gauge.

Currently I am 12 months post-op and have hit my bottom weight so I am currently in the maintenance mode. I am consuming around 1350 calories per day. When I hit my first plateau, I reasoned that since I was getting in so little calories from my meals, that the problem must lie on the Protein supplement side of the equation. I also felt I had enough fat in my body to act as a cushion, to keep me out of trouble. So I cut myself down from 3 Protein shakes (Muscle Milk Light) per day down to 2. That put me down below 900 calories per day. It seemed to do the trick and I started to lose weight again.

Knowing what I do today, I might have opted for a higher concentrated form of protein such as Protein Ice which has 42 grams of protein per bottle at only 170 calories.

Well this is my first post ???? here's my problem I had gastric bypass April 29 I went into the hospital weighting 262 came out two days later weighting 274. After 2 weeks I now weight 260 is this normal I feel like I am failing somewhere I do not believe I am eating incorrectly my body warns me and I have had the foaming once and diarrhea several times I read and some people have lost so much. Should I be worried