Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey sleevers,

Idk if anyone remembers me, but I was scheduled for my sleeve 10/14/13 and backed out 12 days before surgery. I told myself I had to give it one good shot, since I hadn't really tried on my own since having my baby in May. Well, I lost 30 lbs but I'm stuck at 260 and I'm back in this vicious mental cycle that I have been in for years.

I called my surgeon today, and most of the paperwork is still valid. My insurance changed from bcbs to healthplus of Michigan which is an HMO so I have to get prior auth and stuff, so that part sucks, but I'm hoping to be rescheduled for surgery within the next couple of months. I'm kicking myself in the ass every time I get an email notification from the October sleevers group. I could be looking and feeling fantastic like all of them by now. It's all part of the process, I suppose.

Anyway I just wanted to say I'm here for good. One of the reasons I backed out is because the Preop diet made me feel like death and there was no way I could take proper care of my patients feeling that way. I know now I will have to take that period of time off from work.

If anyone has experience with health plus hmo I would love to hear about it. I'm glad to be back! Thanks for reading.

Welcome back! Sorry to hear about your pre-op diet experience. Do you have to do full liquids for quite a while? I didn't, but I know some folks on this site had to do that. I did have an eating plan to follow, but I modified it a bit since my body was so accustomed to carbs. I still ate a bowl of Kashi with skim milk every morning. Those high-Fiber, whole grain carbs really helped prevent the crazy headaches I always get when I suddenly go low-carb.

The good news is, the post-op diet is MUCH easier than pre-op! You will do great!

Welcome back! Sorry to hear about your pre-op diet experience. Do you have to do full liquids for quite a while? I didn't, but I know some folks on this site had to do that. I did have an eating plan to follow, but I modified it a bit since my body was so accustomed to carbs. I still ate a bowl of Kashi with skim milk every morning. Those high-fiber, whole grain carbs really helped prevent the crazy headaches I always get when I suddenly go low-carb. The good news is, the post-op diet is MUCH easier than pre-op! You will do great!

Thank you! I had to do full liquids the first time. The nurse told me there are different options now. Thank god because I would rather not eat for two weeks than choke down 6 of those nasty artificial shakes a day.

I do remember you! I hope that everything with the insurance goes quickly and smoothly! I know how hard that can be to wait through all of that. It sounds like you might regret waiting a little bit, but honestly, it was probably a good thing. Now you know with 100% certainty that you are making the absolute best decision for yourself. Good luck!

backed out 12 days before surgery

hi there

sorry bud, no experience with H M O - but thought i'd write anyways (ok?? ;) )

i also DO remember you and your lovely smile ;)

don't kick yourself about cancelling surgery 5 months ago

first off, you are gonna end up with a sore butttttt :lol:

and looking backwards won't change anything :(

this applies to all of us about EVERYTHING

you "chickened" (great in Protein :lol: ) out - thats ok - you weren't ready

sounds like you are prepared now

the liquid diet was extremely hard for you - this time you know what to expect

hopefully you will do better with the stages post op

tell somebody in those october emails to please not include you in their group

then you will happily rejoin another month/group post surgery

glad you will plan on sticking around

the more the merrier :)

good luck getting sugery date sooner than later :)

take care

kathy

Don't beat yourself up. You weren't ready 5 months ago. Now you are. Hold on tight, you are in for quite the ride! :)

Best of luck!

I want to be on the other side so dang bad!!

come sit next to me on the losers bench (soon) :)

its full of winners :)

and we're waiting for YOU!!!!

kathy

Thank you all for the encouraging words. I know I can't be the only wishy washy person to ever do this. I went clothes shopping today, what a horrifying experience. If I ever start doubting my decision again I'll just go try on some jeans -_-

Thank you all for the encouraging words. I know I can't be the only wishy washy person to ever do this. I went clothes shopping today, what a horrifying experience. If I ever start doubting my decision again I'll just go try on some jeans -_-

You're not the only one; I did it too. I should have had my surgery in Nov., but wanted to try to lose on my own one more time. I joined Weight Watchers and did lose 25 pounds but started to gain again. That was the final straw for me. Thankfully I was able to just pick up where I left off. Right now I am anxiously awaiting approval from my insurance. Should get an answer by next Wednesday. This wait is so hard!

You're not the only one; I did it too. I should have had my surgery in Nov., but wanted to try to lose on my own one more time. I joined Weight Watchers and did lose 25 pounds but started to gain again. That was the final straw for me. Thankfully I was able to just pick up where I left off. Right now I am anxiously awaiting approval from my insurance. Should get an answer by next Wednesday. This wait is so hard!

Let me know how it goes! I'll cross my fingers for an approval for you!

Just think, you'll truly be ready for so much more this time round!

I was tasked with losing 10 lbs in four weeks before my surgery, and only had to do a liquid diet for 3 days prior.

I didn't get quite as far as you did 4 years ago, but I was down to my last visit with the surgeon and ready to set a date. At the time, I was set on the band, but like you, I thought I needed to give myself one more chance without the surgery. I tried, but the only weight I lost between that time and my surgery was the 13 pounds I lost before my sleeve.

This time, I was determined to have either a sleeve or bypass (depending in large part on what the surgeon recommended).

I was able to cross my legs for the first time about 8 weeks ago, and I actually have been able to sit in one of those awful amphitheater seats that have the desk you move to put over your lap - and I could actually put the desk down and use it a few weeks ago. I've had a lot of little but lovely things like that which I'm making every effort to remember and cherish -- you will too. Good luck.

Mrs. Fuller I will definitely let you know. I'm calling Monday just to check. :) By the way, I'm a RN too.

Cabin girl Thank you for the encouragement. I can't wait to cross my legs again and sit comfortably in a booth at a restaurant. :)

Mrs. Fuller I will definitely let you know. I'm calling Monday just to check. :) By the way, I'm a RN too. Cabin girl Thank you for the encouragement. I can't wait to cross my legs again and sit comfortably in a booth at a restaurant. :)

Seems to be a lot of us fat nurses on here. I don't even know how it's possible since I run my off all day lol