Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Op March 2014

I had surgery March 17, 2014. I got sick and became very nauseous 24/7. I have had a scope that led to the stretching of my stomach to intestine opening and the discovery of an ulcer. I had not eaten in almost 3 weeks. My levels were so dangerously low that I was admitted into the hospital for 2 weeks. I'm out now! Just in time to spend Easter with my kids :) i got a PICC line while in the hospital. I am fed TPN for 12 hours a day through this line. TPN is Total Parentenal Nutrition. It is 1300 calories and has every Vitamin, Protein and whatever I need to survive that is fed right into a line in my vein that leads to my heart. I have a home nurse that comes 2 times a day. I never would have thought this would be me! Im still shaking my head. Is this really happening? Yes, it is. And it can happen to anyone. I had a C-Section 3 years ago and it was so simple, I didn't expect to have trouble from surgery.

I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope u get better fast!! How long after surgery did this happen? Praying for a quick recovery & no more problems for u!!

I am also having a hard time eating and I am 3 weeks out. I am really concerned about the energy levels cause I get tired pretty quickly and I am worried how I will function at work. I have lost 24 lbs and still have another 50-60 to lose. Also I am always thirsty.

Thank goodness I'm hearing this from others! Im so tired during the day, especially after exercise. Not really having any eating issues, just tired of being tired!

I had surgery March 17, 2014. I got sick and became very nauseous 24/7. I have had a scope that led to the stretching of my stomach to intestine opening and the discovery of an ulcer. I had not eaten in almost 3 weeks. My levels were so dangerously low that I was admitted into the hospital for 2 weeks. I'm out now! Just in time to spend Easter with my kids :) i got a PICC line while in the hospital. I am fed TPN for 12 hours a day through this line. TPN is Total Parentenal Nutrition. It is 1300 calories and has every Vitamin, Protein and whatever I need to survive that is fed right into a line in my vein that leads to my heart. I have a home nurse that comes 2 times a day. I never would have thought this would be me! Im still shaking my head. Is this really happening? Yes, it is. And it can happen to anyone. I had a C-Section 3 years ago and it was so simple, I didn't expect to have trouble from surgery.

I'm so sorry there have been complications! I hope you recover quickly.

I have not had much of an appetite as well and always thirsty but hurts to drink. I have nausea always and it gets worse when I try to eat or drink. Finally I got a call from my gastroenterologist and they said I have h-pylori which is a bacteria that causes ulcers. I'm starting a heavy antibiotics regime. I hope this helps soni can finally get in my proper nutrients. I'm lucky to get in 200 calories a day or 10g of Protein. Smh

I am 6weeks out and find it hard to eat sometimes my tummy will be like nope we are not eating today! That's when I feel so sick to my tummy :(

what stage of eating are you? At 3 weeks I was still on full liquids. My doc said energy levels won't stabilize until about 6 mos out. You should talk with your doc and see what they say.

I just past my 3 weeks and now into my 4th week. I was on 10 day liquid diet, 10 day puréed diet and now into soft foods. My appetite is up and down. There are days I don't want to eat and I am not hungry and thee have been few days including today where I am hungry and want to eat more than usual. You are right it will take a good time to get used to the whole thing about being tired. I am scheduled to see my surgeon middle of May and the NP I saw 10 days after my surgery said that it will take sometime to get used to the new stomach and that if I have to stay on puréed diet longer than I should continue...when so you start your puréed diet? How do you feel so far?

I am sorry to see you going through all this but I know you will bounce back pretty quickly. Praying for your recovery.

Thank goodness I'm hearing this from others! Im so tired during the day, especially after exercise. Not really having any eating issues, just tired of being tired!

That's awesome you have started to exercise already. How long did you wait before you started to work out? I have been walking a lot but still I am tired during the day and I need more rest than I needed before my surgery. What stage are you in at this time? Does your appetite fluctuate?

<~~~guy. .. lol

Sorry ;) Thank you though.

Sorry ;) Thank you though.

. No worries ..just giving you the business :)

I need a soda...diet soda!!! Are we ever going to be able to drink some? Does anyone know?

I'm gonna stay accountable , I've had a few sips of diet Pepsi and I promise I won't do it again. I burped so much that I was puking and felt funny after so I won't have anymore. I don't think we are suppose to have it because the carbonation can stretch our pouch. But I did, lol I'm staying accountable so don't judge me haha ;)

I need a soda...diet soda!!! Are we ever going to be able to drink some? Does anyone know?

I believe my doc said around six months. I haven't had soda in over a year and I don't miss it one bit. But it will stretch your pouch I was told from the carbonation and the calories are not good.

I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope u get better fast!! How long after surgery did this happen? Praying for a quick recovery & no more problems for u!!
Thanks for the well wishes. The nausea and food aversion started 5 days after surgery. Then I went weeks w/o eating and got my PICC line after being in the hospital 5 days. After getting the PICC line I was in the hospital another 7 days. This has been challenging. Im now almost 6 weeks post op.

I had horrible restless legs last night. I ended up napping on the bathroom floor with the fan and heater in as well as the blow dryer pointed ar my legs. That was horrible! The main thing that I am not liking this week is that I get the foamies every time I try to eat my soft foods and sometimes with just liquids. I am not able to get all of my Water and Protein in this week. Hopefully things will get better soon, if not I have a followup appt on Thursday and can address it then. On a good note, I am down 28lbs from my high weight, 24.5 since surgery in march 24th.

I had restless leg syndrome for a couple of years before the surgery... Mine has resolved since losing weight. What helped me a lot was soaking in a hot bath. You can get a prescription for Ropinirole, works pretty well. Good luck:)