Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi All,

Let me start out by saying that I know everyone's doctors are different and people will have different opinions, but in all the research I've done, I'm starting to think that a diet suggestion given by my class instructor for post surgery might not be the best suggestion and I'm just curious if I'm totally off base or if others feel the same as me?? So I'm in the Kaiser 6 months of classes and the instructor went through a chapter last week on post operative eating and the different stages. Most of what was in the book, I agreed with with the exception of they gave many high carb / low Protein options as choices. When I asked the instructor about why you would choose mashed potatoes, cream of wheat or applesauce as an option when there is so little room in the pouch, so why would you pick things with very low carbs, she insisted that you need high carb options as part of your day, but she had no real reason for this and it just seems that you would want to avoid high carb options int he first few weeks following surgery. Am I wrong here?? I will for sure talk to the surgeon about it once I get to that step, but I would appreciate some feedback here because I would think you would want to do everything to use the tool of the sleeve to its most optimum. Thank You.

I am limiting my carb intake because that has been working for me. I'm focusing on getting my Protein in and avoiding "slider" foods.

Like you said everybody has a different plan and once you have your surgery you'll see what works for you and your new tummy. :)

I'm of the school of thought that "everything in moderation". I don't count carbs. Last year, I was on Atkins for 4 weeks. I was miserable. Woulda killed my mom for a cookie. Lost 12 lbs but gained them back as soon as I started eating carbs again (I think thats what happens when u restrict ur carbs that much. U gain when u have very little carbs).

My husband is a total model of that: He uses Atkins Induction often. He aims for as close to 0 as he can get. It gets a little ridiculous when he counts the 1/16th of a carb in the pepper he uses on his food. Anyway, if he goes off his "diet", he will eat a whole package of Cookies, a 1/2 gallon of ice cream, a sandwich, 3-4 beers, etc in 1 day. A couple days later he will see a 5-6 lbs gain (which he loses rather quickly with Atkins but thats beside the point!). It's just my theory but I've seen it alot with people who restrict their carbs alot (like under 20 gms a day - as per Atkins induction) who then eat carbs gain quicker.

Not sure what u deem as "low carb" ( I think the technical term "low carb" is under 60 or 70 a day, which I agree is pretty healthy, but lower than that and u get tired easily.) Carbs are what give u quick energy. It's why marathon runners carb load before a marathon.

So I've lost 100 lbs without counting carbs (except for the 4 weeks last year). I eat everything but only small amts of it. It's why I had wls in the first place - so I'd never have to diet, count anything, or weigh anything. I listen to my tiny tummy and stop when it tells me to. Usually it's about 10-12 bites (about double of what it was at 3 mths!) but occasionally (maybe 3-4 days a month), I find I can eat much more. I will eat 50% of a portion (which scares me a little but I'm right back to eating about 1/4 of a portion the next day)

Low carbing it works. Not gunna argue with that. I've read the scientfic facts behind it and the reason u lose (insulin resistance) and I can't argue with it. Hubby lost 80 lbs with Atkins. It works for him. Doesn't work for me. I don't like it. I will argue with anyone out there that what works for me is small portions of everything. I never feel deprived, I don't count anything, I don't feel like I'm dieting. I believe it's cuz I'm lowering my calories.

Off my soapbox now. Good luck to u with ur upcoming surgery. Do whats best for u, but follow ur drs instructions.

I agree with Blondiee, that carbs are not my friend right now. (I am approaching 3 months post op). With the pouch so small, it's challenging enough to get the Protein in, let alone anything else. Other veggies have carbs without doing the damage of starchy veggies like potatoes, corn, peas, and carrots.

I have not had bread, cake, Cereal, Pasta, or crackers since my first pre-op visit in September 2013. I just have to think of staches, wheat products, and rice as the Devil for a long while yet to come. I simply do not have room for them since my nutrition is compromised and depends upon the utmost diligence to eat those things that have real food value.....that is meat, veggies, eggs (the whole egg), limited fruits, and foods containing monounsaturated fats, like avocados, nuts and nut butters, olive oil, and dark chocolate.

I definitely won't starve to death while optimizing my nutrition. Since putting all of that behind me and passing over to the other side of the food funerals, I do not miss that stuff. I was in Pete's supermarket with my gentleman friend this morning and was not even phased by all of the attractive and colorful cakes, pies, and junk foods clammoring for my attention.

To me they are just pretty poisons wrapped up in shiny colors with bows and bells. Similarly, that is why rat poison has corn meal in it, so the rat will be attracted to it and eat it anyway. To kill roaches and creepy crawlers in the house, you can mix borax and sugar and put it anywhere kids and pets don't crawI. Why add sugar? It attracts the roaches so that when they crawl through the powdered borax they drag it back to the nest where it burns all their little buggy feet off. I am so over sugar, wheat belly, starches, and junk now.

No way can I eat the Food Pyramid recommend 6-11 servings of grains a day. I am not that girl anymore. Real food that you can chase and pick will have to do for me....(nothing made in a factory) and I am healthier for it. I have more energy than I have in decades and I am able to exercise and walk without so much pain.

When I am with my nutritionist, I just nod my head in polite agreement and then go home and eat what is right for me.

On a side note about borax and sugar. I needed something after a flood years ago carried some nasty neighbors roaches swimming all through the neighborhood. I found the remedy on-line from a hospital in New York City that was seeing an abundance of patients with insect allergies. Borax and sugar is what they recommended for insect control at home. I was able to find Borax very cheap at the dollar store in the cleaning supplies section. Wear gloves and a mask when working with the stuff so that you do not get itchy. Don't let it get on your dishes, pots, or silverware.

Lower carbs (lower...not "no" carbs) works best for me.

I agree with lowered carbs, not completely cutting them from your diet. I would just think there are carbs in veggies and greek yogurt and many other items that are also portein rich, so you would limit the carbs you eat to those kinda things and not a straight carb like cream of wheat

I agree with a lower carb diet. Also take into consideration how the carb is metabolized by your body-- potatoes are the worst-- I'll be avoiding those forever (and happy about it).

I think it depends on your level of activity. I started a daily exercise regimen and after 2 months, I discovered I was not getting enough carbs to support my daily activities plus go out for a 30 minute jog. I was wiped out. I increased my carbs to well over 100 and my energy levels increased dramatically. So much that I was able to increase my level of exercise. With more exercise came my need for more carbs. I started running 5K and 10K races and would carb load for a couple days prior going well over 200 carbs a day. All this time, I was still dramatically losing weight. It is what helped me get to goal losing 120#.

It's one of those catch-22 things. If you don't have the energy to exercise well, then you won't burn calories and fat as efficiently. I'm sure you have all heard of the analogy of your metabolism being like a fire. Get it burning hot and it will burn everything, but it is going to need to be fed fuel. Carbohydrates are that fuel. Do low/no carb, how can you possibly expect to have the energy to burn efficiently?

At least, that is my experience and what worked for me. I think I was brainwashed by all the diets I had done pre-sleeve into thinking carbs were the enemy. The truth was I was the enemy with how I abused food ... I cannot use the philosophies of diets designed for people with 100% of their stomachs intact. For me, it just isn't the same anymore.

Edited by PdxMan

thank you everyone for the feedback...I should have been more clear in what the instructor was telling us that I disagreed with. I know that int eh months and years follwoing surgery, carbs are part of a healthy balanced diet, but the insturctor is telling her students to eat carbs like cream of wheat and mashed potatoes just within the first week following surgery...that is the part I find odd...It just seems too soon to eat something in your tiny new tummy that has zero to no Protein. I realize that we are all different and I, like us all will be learning what I can handle as I go.

She didn't mention Protein Shakes? That would be unusual. Lean Proteins are difficult early out. It was about 5 weeks before I could handle a teaspoon of tuna mixed with ranch. I would put this on a piece of sharp cheddar cheese and take about 3 bites to eat it. But Protein shakes are part of every post-op diet I have seen ...

The instructor is very odd about Protein shakes. I'm fully aware that I'll need shakes in the beginning and even ongoing to get the appropriate amount of Protein my body will need, but she seems to be against Protein Shakes. She recognizes that they are a necessity for right after surgery but discourages the class from using them preop at all and says we need to be off them as soon as we can post op!!! It's no wonder I don't buy into what she is saying cause not having Protein Shakes goes against pretty much what every other sleever has done (that I've read about or met anyway).

I know that i do my research, but there are people in my class that don't even use computers and are going 100% by what she is saying...it worries me for them!!

At almost 3 months out, I still have at least one whey Protein shake a day usually during and after an exercise session). In my soft foods stage, I ate a lot of scrambled eggs mixed with eggbeaters. But some people can't handled eggs post-op. I also ate hearty homemade Soups and foods run through the blender to break them down some. My boyfriend had bought some baby Cream of Rice with my post-op groceries, but I couldn't bring myself to open the box. :angry: Mep-Mep Unacceptable! (from the Conehead movie).

Early out cream of wheat can be soothing. My doctor suggested it, too, but only for a few weeks right after surgery. I never ate hot Cereal or mashed potatoes, I did Protein Shakes from the start. When you can only get down one or two tablespoons of food, I doubt those carbs will blow your eating plan. You won't necessarily want to continue that, though, since you will need to focus n Protein.

Everyone is different...being 8 days out and have lost 15 lbs. I have gotten in all my Protein today with shakes but tried I table spoon of mashed potatoes with my homemade Tomato Soup (made with 16 oz. of plain yogurt) I thought I was in heaven as I didn't think I could look at 1 more Protein Shake, Jello, sugar free pudding for 8 more days.....my world lifted up as I also tried mashed & mashed cottage cheese....2tsp. A great day....and my little tummy is happy and I am not dragging as I have been....it's all new and I'm carefully walking the path.