Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Panicked, No Weight Loss

My weight loss surgery is tomorrow and I've lost NO weight! Even gained two pounds. I started my pre -opt diet on the 28th of February. My plan called for 2 shakes for Breakfast, 2 for lunch and 1 lean meat and non starchy vegetable. I decided to go hardcore and do all full liquids. I did well for 7 days and lost 7 lbs. Next day had sever pain in my back on right side. Went to ER etc. had to take hydro so I ate some cabbage and chicken over next few days. Only when taking meds. Got on scale n gained 6lbs!. At first I was WTF then realize my period was coming. I always gain weight before cycle. But now my cycle is here n my weight haven't gone down like it usually do. Now I'm PANICKING because surgery tomorrow n my doc n team will think I didn't follow my diet! It's really upsetting cuz I'm doing more than what was asked of me...

Can you just do Clear Liquids for today? It sounds like you are retaining Water and the clear liquids only might help shed it. I understand, I can gain 8 pounds just looking at salt but I know it is only water retention. Sadly, your Dr does not know it is only water. I hope you can do it, I hope you get the surgery.

Your lucky, my weight didn't budge not 1 pound since I started my pre-op diet, no reason I just didn't loose. have no idea why :(

FYI I am guessing your diet did what its suppose to "shrink your liver" :)) so don't worry

I am thinking Water retention..Just relax..I had to lose 20lbs before the doctor would even perform my surgery..The pre-diet is mainly to shrink your liver and if you followed it then you should be good..I would try all liquids until surgery..Good luck!

It is what it is, and quit stressing! Everything will be fine. Good luck!!!!

My weight loss surgery is tomorrow and I've lost NO weight! Even gained two pounds. I started my pre -opt diet on the 28th of February. My plan called for 2 shakes for breakfast, 2 for lunch and 1 lean meat and non starchy vegetable. I decided to go hardcore and do all full liquids. I did well for 7 days and lost 7 lbs. Next day had sever pain in my back on right side. Went to ER etc. had to take hydro so I ate some cabbage and chicken over next few days. Only when taking meds. Got on scale n gained 6lbs!. At first I was WTF then realize my period was coming. I always gain weight before cycle. But now my cycle is here n my weight haven't gone down like it usually do. Now I'm PANICKING because surgery tomorrow n my doc n team will think I didn't follow my diet! It's really upsetting cuz I'm doing more than what was asked of me...

Hey TheOldMeAgain, don't stress out!!! You will just put more stress on you for tomorrow, you know what you have done, and just explain to the doc what happen? I can't believe he has you doing 2 shakes at a meal time, I am only doing one shake at each meal and liquids in between? I started last wednesday and I have to go till next wednesday, as my surgery is on wednesday the 19th. This is the purpose of having the surgery, cause your body may just not lose the weight without this extra help. I feel ya really I do.

I did not get weighed day of surgery. Maybe you won't either....?

Can you just do clear liquids for today? It sounds like you are retaining Water and the clear liquids only might help shed it. I understand, I can gain 8 pounds just looking at salt but I know it is only water retention. Sadly, your Dr does not know it is only water. I hope you can do it, I hope you get the surgery.

Clear liquids is all I'm doing today. It's crazy how so many things can cause water retention. I'm still meet my weight requirement but I don't want the doctor to think I could stick to my preopt diet therefore I'm not ready for surgery. I know it doesn't make sense.

Your lucky, my weight didn't budge not 1 pound since I started my pre-op diet, no reason I just didn't loose. have no idea why :( FYI I am guessing your diet did what its suppose to "shrink your liver" :)) so don't worry

How long u been on your diet? Maybe your like me and retain a lot of Water weight before or during your cycle.

Thanks, I guess shirking my liver should be the only thing that really counts.

Other than shrinking the liver the purpose for the pre-op diet has always made me scratch my head.
You are getting weight loss surgery because you find it difficult to impossible to lose the fat, many times proven with a multitude of diets.
So we will put you on a pre-op diet to see if you have what it takes to lose weight after the surgery.
To me it is like saying, "You have to cut down that Sequoia tree.....with a butter knife...to show you have the determination to do it. If you make enough of a dent on it we will give you the chain saw."

Edited by gmanbat

Hey TheOldMeAgain, don't stress out!!! You will just put more stress on you for tomorrow, you know what you have done, and just explain to the doc what happen? I can't believe he has you doing 2 shakes at a meal time, I am only doing one shake at each meal and liquids in between? I started last wednesday and I have to go till next wednesday, as my surgery is on wednesday the 19th. This is the purpose of having the surgery, cause your body may just not lose the weight without this extra help. I feel ya really I do.

Your right pupichupi. The more I think about it the more I freak out. I don't need such stress with a major surgery tomorrow. Yep 4 shakes totally a day with liquids throughout. Thanks for the reminder that stress beget stress. Best wishes and luck with your upcoming surgery. Here's to hoping for Nerves of Steele!

I did not get weighed day of surgery. Maybe you won't either....?

Sassy Panys1 You just gave me Unimaginable HOPE!! That occurred to me. How so fragile but hard to kill. Well at least now that I have it, lol. Stress, Worry- Be Gone!

I am thinking Water retention..Just relax..I had to lose 20lbs before the doctor would even perform my surgery..The pre-diet is mainly to shrink your liver and if you followed it then you should be good..I would try all liquids until surgery..Good luck!

Even though I know the true reason for the pre-opt diet (Liver Shirking) it seem natural to define and judge it success by what I see on the scale. My doctor will discover a non fatty liver and I will have to make due with that. Thank you. A reality check now and then is always good.