Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercising vs not exercising

I'm having mixed emotions!!! I am 2 1/2 months post op and I have been working my butt off with my exercise on a consistent basis since I got home from the hospital. I was Sleeved on 12/30/13 and I have lost 40 lbs. is my exercising slowing down the process because I am toning or am I not getting enough calories in? I know everyone's bodies are different but why are things moving so slow when I average at minimum 45 minutes of exercise a day? HW 197 CW 157

My recommendation is that you continue exercising. Remember that muscle weighs more than fat and you should not rely strictly on your scale numbers to determine your success and health. In addition to increasing your metabolism, muscles will give you a toned look. Have you heard the term 'skinny fat'? It refers to people who have a low BMI and weight on the scale, but who's bodies are fat and lacking any muscle tone. In my opinion it is a mistake to be so focused on scale numbers alone. Use your tape measure to track your body changes. Personally, I am gunning for a toned body and will happily carry muscle weight (that shows up on the scale, but not on the tape measure) to be strong and fit.

My opinion is not to stop exercising. How many calories are u taking in..and about how many calories you are expending with exercise, I would prefer a body with more muscle , more firmness , more pounds than a body with little muscle/tone and less weight. Who do u think would look healthier and actually is Healthier Body 1 or 2. Of course BODY #1 ..

If u feel u are not taking in enough calories for the amount of exercise u r doing...then Increase it a little and see what happens ..

NO WAY PUSH YOURSELF>> EXCERCISE>>

Thank you or your responses... Everyone has encouraged me to keep moving on my journey of Weightloss via exercising. I haven't been following my Protein exactly how I am supposed to however I started back drinking those yucky Protein Shakes this week. That's harder than exercising which might be my major problem. I am typically 136-143 lbs however I am always up and down every year... the surgery for me was to be able to maintain a healthy weight without all the dramatics with my eating which always causes me to go to 180+ lbs

Hey...I posted about something similar today. I didn't really consider the whole exercising with weights being the culprit. I too haven't lost as much weight as I should have by now but maybe the other posters have an excellent point about exercising and the result of a slow moving scale. I too must agree with them about continuing your exercise regime. I'm also going to keep it moving and hopefully that mean ole scale will eventually get the hint and show us some love. Lol

I've only been doing cardio - training for a 5k - because I have had a similar concern. I've decided that after my 5K I will start some toning, and hopefully it won't affect weight loss too much.

I know we're all really bound by what the scale says, but I really believe that building muscle and cardiovascular endurance is the key to great results. One of the fittest coaches in my gym is 5'7", wears a size 4-6, and weighs 160. She is a wall of muscle. And oh my god, so strong!

I decided early on that my physical fitness and strength had to be as important as my eating, going forward. So far, my result is that I have lost 54 pounds, and I am wearing a full size lower than I was the last time I was at this weight. I may not hit my stretch weight goal of 149, but the measurement of success is a lot broader than the number on the scale.< /p>

I don't think 40 pounds in 2 1/2 months is slow. Especially with your lower starting weight. Those last pounds are likely to be more stubborn.

Me and my husband were sleeved 3 weeks apart and he has lost 63 lbs and has not exercised at all. His HW 272 SW 262 and his CW 207. I know he's a man and he's gonna lose faster but I should have explained that at my first post. I guess that's why I say exercise vs not exercise.

Edited by cbwalker79

Let me do some quick math for ya.

Your starting weight was 197 and you weigh 157 now. That means with sleeve, exercise, and hard work you've lost .... 20.3% of your entire body weight.

Your husband's starting weight at the surgery was 262, and he's now 207. He's lost... 21% of his entire body weight.

And doing weights and working out, building muscle... That EASILY can account for 0.7% difference. Nevermind that he's a dude, has more to lose, etc... you guys are running neck-and-neck!!! And I bet if he worked out he'd tone up and "lose less" (not lose pounds as fast).

Look at it as a percent, not as absolute pounds. I've lost 50 pounds in 6 weeks, but I started weighing TWICE what you weighed at your highest!!! So overall that's only 13.3% - you're way ahead!!

And you're toning your body, you're still changing SHAPE even if the scale is moving slowly... My partner weighed 425 lbs and worked his ass off for a year and got down to 375... (50 lbs) And still wears EXACTLY THE SAME SIZE. I bet you've dropped more sizes than that!!!

Thank you for taking the time to respond... Your exactly right, I looked at lbs not percentage and I appreciate everyone's responses. Thank you for encouraging me not to get caught up in the numbers and exercise is always the best way to go!

I don't advocate NOT exercising, but I haven't lost a pound due to becoming an exercise guru. I made lifestyle changes that I KNOW I can do/live with, forever. Remember, there is NO end date, we've made a lifetime commitment. At least that is how we should have entered into this journey. I do move, I park far out in parking lots, I made extra trips up and down our stairs, but I haven't been to a 'gym' in ten years and will never join another one.

What do I do almost four years after surgery is this:

I weigh every single morning

I weigh and/or measure my food when I am home

I log it all on my fitness pal

I attend support groups

** I call this my dashboard **

I know me, I have the attention span of a four year old. I didn't want to lose any weight because of exercise, six months down the road, I KNOW, I'd lose interest and re-gain!!! What I do now, is as natural to me as breathing. Boredom, old age nor a twisted ankle will keep me from logging my food, weighing and measuring what I eat, weighing myself daily and none of that will keep me from attending a support group. (I'm a support group junkie!)

Sooooo, although I'd never suggest not exercising, this is what works for me. I've never bought into the "up your calories" to lose weight or kick start weight loss again. Common sense tells me that prior to surgery, upping my calories resulted in gaining weight and after 30 years, landed me in a bariatric surgeon's office. If I up my calories now, (and I've been in maintenance for over three years) by just 100 calories per day....if I do that for a few days, my weight goes up. It is pretty much a no brainer to me!! Anyway, this is what I do and I easily stay between 143 - 146. If I hit 147, then I lower my calories by 100 - 150 per day and within two or three days, it's gone.

It's always good to keep moving. You will be less flabby when it's all done... Keep up the good work!