Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Put my weight loss on the back burner and the burner was OFF...18 months out and 20 lb regain

I have not logged in since August and I have let life get in the way of my goals. I'm SO disappointed in myself. I really thought I had my diet mastered. Six months ago I was an expert at keeping my calories under 900, Protein 90-100g ( with no protein drinks/bars), carbs under 50g, logging daily and getting in my Water in. Now I'm year and a half out and I have regained 20 lbs.

WHAT HAPPENED?

The best I can tell is it all started when we went into escrow on a house. My focus switched from weight loss, diet, and exercise to loan paperwork, credit reports, and problem solving. We ended up losing that first escrow due to an inaccurate tax lien that couldn't be fixed in time to save the escrow. Then I became obsessed with resolving the issue and finding another house. Inventory was low so you had to be ready to pounce right away...hence the obsession. Meanwhile on the weight loss front I had stopped logging and watching what I ate. I told myself I was resetting my metabolism so that I could start back on a more normal calorie intake.

We finally had all our ducks in a row to make for an easy breezy loan process and went into escrow on a house we love the end of November. The house was almost finished being built and they said they needed a 45 day escrow. We said they could have as long as they needed we just needed 30 days to give our rental notice. Long story short, it is taking forever and we are now 108 days into a 45 day escrow. This would be no biggie if we hadn't given notice and had to be out of our rental house Jan 28th.

For the last 6 weeks, my husband and I (and our 3 dogs...EEK) have been staying with our friends. It was supposed to be for 2 weeks, so our stress levels are in freak out mode and we're still 2-3 weeks from closing. In an effort to impose as little as possible (being that we are the never ending houseguests), I just try to stay invisible. The problem with invisibility is that we have been eating out instead of using their kitchen, keeping lots of unrefrigerated Snacks (aka processed carb filled snacks) in our room, and not exercising at all. Its fine for my husband because he works but I am here in this room all day every day. That has lead to the pounds packing on mostly in the last 6 weeks.

I have decided I cannot let the scale keep going up. I need to do damage control now before it gets even worse over the next 3 weeks. I cannot fully get back on track until we are in our house but for the time being I need to stop the gain. I started logging again this morning. I have put a kabash on the mindless snacking. And I am making better choices foodwise even when we have to eat out.

I am so scared that since I am 18 months out it will be hard to re-lose the weight. Has anyone been able to lose their regain easily?

Does anyone have any other ideas that I can do while staying in this tiny room (without using the kitchen)? I was thinking about the 5:2 fasting. Any ideas, support, words of

wisdom, relatable experiences, or words of encouragement is greatly appreciated!

(Please excuse any typos...typing long posts on a tablet is not my forte)

Sassafras, . Good that u r being accountable and took the reins today .. What has been done in the past is over.. Don't dwell on it. As u said u knew what to do and r are doing it. U r probably Stress eating ( Especially with losing your escrow , and waiting for another loan process is predictable with these situations , not to mention you don't have your own place) ..do your best till all is settled. Try to make good eating choices even though u eat out a lot. Go to restaurants where there r healthier fares. In my humble opinion, I would go back counting calories and eating your Protein first, then veggies, then carb if there is room. Get back to basics. I would caution not to go on a "diet" but an eating program that is heathy and satisfying. In time, u will lose lose extra pounds. Just be patient. Wishing that your life gets back to normal soon.

The largest culprit is probably the eating out! Stop eating out and buy low-calorie meals such as Healthy Choice which are simply microwaveable. I HATE pre-packaged meals but Healthy Choice meals are EXCELLENT! For exercise, get hand weights and concentrate on building muscle which will burn more fat. They are also small. You can use the wall to exercise (push-up except against the wall, not to mention floor exercises. I know you're bummed about the regain but you can lose it again so don't beat yourself up too much.

"weight loss on the back burner and the burner was OFF...18 months out and 20 lb regain"

Sassafras

soooooo sorry about all the personal problems you have been dealing with recently :mellow:

what Carlotta1 said above is correct

"what has been done in the past is over. Don't dwell on it."

gotta move forward

i liked your statement concerning the stove top :)

take yourself OFF that back burner

put yourself right up FRONT - thats where you belong!!! :)

Remember that, you are the important one!!!!!

good news, bad news

YES people can/and do lose their regain :)

but "easily"????

are you kidding me :blink:

taking the weight off to begin with is no piece of "cake" :lol:

be diligent, stick to everything you've done in the past

it might be hard to get back with the program initially.......

but if anyone can do it, its you!!!!

i have heard the 5:2 plan can/is very successful

hopefully you'll hear from others who have/are doing that

but...........going back to the basic rules, starting again - sure the weight will eventually come off

maybe give yourself a jump start by going on a liquid diet, Protein shakes (yeach!!! ) for a week or two

do what you did before

protein, carbs

small portions, calories

chewing thoroughly

eating very slowly

no drinking for 15-30 minutes before you eat

don't drink with your meals (people have been shot for less) :D

don't don't don't drink for 45-60 minutes after you eat

and drink at least 64 oz of Water daily

whats worse than gaining 20 lbs???

gaining 21, and 22, and, and, and!!!

don't go their!!!!!

KNOCK IT OFF :angry: ;)

you CAN and will do this

please come back to the board more often

you'll get help and support from all

I/we love to see your smiling face!!!!

hopefully your personal issues with the house et al will be resolved sooner than later

but.............we/many/most of us will have personal issues in our lives, and we must TRY not to have those issues effect our weight (easier said than done)

good luck

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

You could get a fridge for the room I have one in my bedroom as its in the top of a 3 story Victorian house I work from home so I have 2 work stations one in my bedroom because I work overnight and one at a desk in the livingroom.
But still not on the same floor as the kitchen so its easier to keep shakes in drinks fruit food even if its left over dinner from the night before I am eating for lunch the next day.
Get out of that room walk around the block for a hour boredom also leads to eating for a lot of people, if your not used to being stuck indoors with nothing to do it could lead to mindless snacking.
Maybe not be so invisible clean the house for your friends cook them dinner do chores they need doing so you’re a help not a burden to them.
Sit and have a chat with your friends they obviously took you in and have not yet kicked you out tell them you feel like your in the way you don’t want to take up space and what can you do to not be that and help out.
You need to stop hurting your wallet as well all this eating out is costly, go shopping with your friend pay for half the food bill make meals together.
You are a friend who was welcomed not a stranger not a tenant but a friend.

It can be harder to lose regain, so stoping it now is the best! I gained 22 pounds, and found the 5:2 worked the best for re losing. It was not lost fast, but did come off fairly painlessly. Check the 5:2 links in the vets forum for detials. I would say that 900 cals is too low to maintain on? I could not keep that up myself... I do start with a min of 1200, add more for exercise, and follow the 5:2 protocol two days a week at around 550 cals to maintain. Best of luck to you!

Watchdog here, keep in mind that this is the vets forum, that means that you need to be a vet over 12 months after WLS to start threads, or to post on them. This is the only place on the Bariatric Pal that this is the case, and vets post all over the forum. Read on, we all hope the info here is of value to everyone.... and it wont be long before you can post here too!

Sassafras, . Good that u r being accountable and took the reins today .. What has been done in the past is over.. Don't dwell on it. As u said u knew what to do and r are doing it. U r probably Stress eating ( Especially with losing your escrow , and waiting for another loan process is predictable with these situations , not to mention you don't have your own place) ..do your best till all is settled. Try to make good eating choices even though u eat out a lot. Go to restaurants where there r healthier fares. In my humble opinion, I would go back counting calories and eating your Protein first, then veggies, then carb if there is room. Get back to basics. I would caution not to go on a "diet" but an eating program that is heathy and satisfying. In time, u will lose lose extra pounds. Just be patient. Wishing that your life gets back to normal soon.

The largest culprit is probably the eating out! Stop eating out and buy low-calorie meals such as Healthy Choice which are simply microwaveable. I HATE pre-packaged meals but Healthy Choice meals are EXCELLENT! For exercise, get hand weights and concentrate on building muscle which will burn more fat. They are also small. You can use the wall to exercise (push-up except against the wall, not to mention floor exercises. I know you're bummed about the regain but you can lose it again so don't beat yourself up too much.

That is some stress, for sure! I understand what you mean about shifting your focus from diet/exercise to house. I find that I am that way. It has taken every ounce of energy I have to stay focused on my diet, and often think that a major stressful event in my life is going to take it's toll. I think it's one of the major things we all have to face, since I think many of us are that way.

So, I applaud you for realizing what is going on and getting yourself in the right frame of mind. Others have given great suggestions. You might find that many of them work great. I would also be trying to get out of their way. Since you said you are sitting in your room all day, you might try taking some really long walks. That would get you out and get some more exercise. If you have to eat out, think about going fast food - you can get a side salad with a grilled chicken breast on it at McDonalds, for example. Just because you eat out, you don't have to go off the rails on your diet.

Good luck - know this is short term - you'll be in that house in no time!

I am in kind of in the same boat but different situation. I fell off the wagon and rolled down the hill! I nvr dreamed for a second that i would ever have to deal with my weight ever again. I hear of a lot of people who cant stop losing and it seems i started gaining. Im angry at myself for not staying focused. Its also hard to always still try to diet and healthy food seems to not go in as easy as the bad food . chin up my friend you are not alone. I hope you can get back on track cause everyday is a huge struggle for me.

You can do it! Your sleeve is still the best tool you have just work it correctly with the right foods.