Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did any1's Dr. advise them not to do a pre-op diet?

My Dr. doesn't think I need to do any pre-op diet, he told me if I want I can fast for 3 weeks on clear fluids; however he doesn't think it will help my case...The thing is I have a fatty liver, not enlarged but fatty. I am a bit worried, not sure if he is that good or that bad.

Did any1's Dr. advise them to skip the pre-op diet? Did any1 decided to not do their own pre-opt diet? what were the results?

Fyi...he is a well experienced, famous Dr.

My surgeon doesn't require a pre op diet in general, however I did work to lose 20 pounds pre op because I wanted to shrink my liver. I would listen to what ever your surgeon suggests, he most likely knows what he's talking about. I do however think that doing any type of a pre op diet won't hurt you at all. If he says it won't help, well it won't hurt either and at the very least any weight lost pre op will be just a few pounds you DON'T have to lose post op.

The enlarged liver is the big thing and I think practice on what your diet is essentially gonna be for a bit gets you more aware of what you will need to do after surgery because it is overwhelming for a bit.

My doctor at Kaiser isn't requiring me to loose weight before surgery (I suspect because my BMI is "only" 36) but I have incorporated all I the lifestyle changes I will be expected to make post surgery. As a result, i've lost 12 pounds. In speaking to others I've met in the bariatric classes, losing 20 pounds pre-surgery seems to be the norm. I think its their way to see how committed you are to making lifestyle changes that will lead to success post-surgery. Kaiser also doesn't make you follow a pre-surgery liquid diet. Just the normal no food or liquid after midnight the night before. They are a center of excellence so I'm not challenging it, but I find it odd that it seems to be the norm to do it on this site!

Edited by Bluesea71

My MD's advice was similar to Bluesea's. While others at my center had to adhere to a 2-week liver shrinking regimen pre- op , he told me I did not need to since my BMI was also "only" 36. He said the main thing was for me to be healthy and rested. Like Bluesea, I did the diet anyway because it seemed like a good way to get in the groove, and I lost 6 pounds. I was also at a Center of Excellence, although a different one.

I looked at the medical literature and the experts don't seem to agree whether it is strictly needed for everyone.

I think for each of us, it comes down to this: if you trust your doctor, follow their advice. If you don't trust them, you should talk to a second doctor.

Did any1's Dr. advise them not to do a pre-op diet?

Mozza

my doc responded to me "no you don't need to do a pre-op diet"

i thought to myself WooHoo!!!!!

went on a couple of food funerals et al

gained 8 lbs!!!!!!

luckily they did still do the procedure

if i had it to do over again....

i would put start improving my eating, moderating my portions, putting the drinking rules into effect

followed by a liquid diet for maybe a few days/or a week

as OP said, better to lose some weight prior to surgery - all the less to lose afterwards

if you asked my advice (which you didn't, but heres my 2 cents LOL)

if you MUST

go on one small, "little" splurge one night for dinner

try not to go overboard like i did :(

lose a few lbs

you are on the way to new healthier, happier, longer life :)

enjoy the ride

good luck with surgery :)

speedy recovery

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

I wasn;t required to lose weight but I was required to do the liver shrinking its important ot do it.
When I had my gall bladder op years ago they do the same thing and pull back the liver to get at it mine tore and had to be fixed and its difficult to do.
Its also heavy and in the way if its big so the smaller and softer it is the better for holding it back out of the way undamaged.
You don’t have to do the all milk etc if you don’t want to but cut out sugars and cabs so it uses whats stored in it that will shrink it and soften it up before the op.

I did not have a liver shrinking diet either, and I have a fatty liver, so much so that they biopsied it when doing the surgery.

I have read (and this is my reading - not necessarily the gospel truth) that some surgeons that have lots of experience do not require it. I worried too, but all went fine. I think it is a surgeon preference...

To tell the truth, I wish I had done more liquids/dieting before surgery, would have made the after surgery a bit easier...

My Dr. doesn't think I need to do any pre-op diet, he told me if I want I can fast for 3 weeks on clear fluids; however he doesn't think it will help my case...The thing is I have a fatty liver, not enlarged but fatty. I am a bit worried, not sure if he is that good or that bad. Did any1's Dr. advise them to skip the pre-op diet? Did any1 decided to not do their own pre-opt diet? what were the results? Fyi...he is a well experienced, famous Dr.

Hi Mozza My dr doesn't allow with pre op diet.i gone through with his advice & operate in dec 2013 till today having no complications, my surgeon is also very experience carried 400 surgeries .i think no need to worry , if u r confuse u should take advice of another dr.

Thank you

Thank you

Thank you :D

You all have made me feel sooooo much better :)) Appreciate your advice... I am kinda trying to do the diet, but I always end up eating :D however I did stop diet soda and reduced my sugar intake significantly.