Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Since much is required, does the sleeve just *help*?

I've been researching doing the gastric sleeve. For my life I've never gotten smaller than a 14, and that was with Atkins at working out 2hrs a day for many many months. Everythign works but eventually it comes back when I eat normal food and/or quantity. The best losses was hcg, but I've rebounded faster than ever after that and gained so fast, my metabolism is just shot.

From what I'm reading, it sounds like most have to follow a strict diet of whole foods and work out daily to continue losing. I like that the hunger hormone is gone, is that the major help for most of you with the sleeve since you ended up still on a strict diet? Did having the sleeve just make it a lot easier to have a chicken breast instead of a cookie or something salty for dinner for example? I'm just curious about real world scenarios. I've been trying very hard to eat more often after the hcg killed my metoblism. It was easy for me, eating just 300 calories. But I never could go out with friends or anything or risk gaining 5lbs the next day for eating something other than meat, lettuce or tomatoes.

A friend did this and I'm very excited to have something I just don't have to *worry* so much about! The roller coaster since I had my daughter is just driving me crazy (gained 50lbs in montsh AFTER I had her, throid went to crap). I want something more permanant and controlable. Does that make sense to anyone??

Also, I am a single mom and do nails.... I literally can only take a week off. I sit and can make my schedule a tad lighter. Do you all think that will be ok? I've seen the "spider" surgery where all the tools go through the navel, anyone had that done? I've had laproscopic before and have the scars to show for it I'd prefer for it to go through my navel and not create more if possible. Anyway I'm going to browse more posts. Just wanted some feedback from those of you who have been there!

I can only share my own experience, but for me the sleeve has been wonderful. I will be 9 months out soon and I'm down about 109 lbs, from 320 to 211. The hunger came back for me, but it seems much more manageable now. I haven't come across any food that I can't tolerate, although I know for some that's not the case. I joined a gym last September & was going about 3 times a week. I got off track in January, but I'm working on getting myself back to exercising regularly. Right now it's only 1-2 times a week, but that's better than nothing. I've been OK with keeping my carbs fairly low, but I know that can be a struggle for some. I'm not on a strict diet. I eat mostly what I want, but I definitely focus on Protein first. Usually the Protein fills me up to where I'm not very tempted by the carby stuff.

Taking only a week off might be OK, but I would definitely suggest keeping a light schedule & following your surgeon's recommendations about lifting, walking, food schedule, etc. Good luck to you!

Ok for me.. The first couple of months I was never hungry or thirsty. I had to force myself to eat and drink but I had a ton of nausea. Eventually I got hungry but not like starving more like snack time hungry and I eat every 2-4 hours 1-3 oz depending on how my stomach feels. I have not been able to tolerate the Protein shakes or drinks since surgery very much so most of my meals are usually greek yogurt or usually chicken. My Snacks I do veggies or fruits. Rarely do I have Pasta or breads.. they make me too full and feel so sick like rocks are in my tummy (that was my weakness). If I have carbs it's 3-4 crackers with some tuna or something. But I still feel hungry and sometimes crave sweets. I will still have sweets on occasion but I have a bite or 2 rather than a helping. When I eat out with friends I order from places like Fridays or Chillis typically and I get a grilled chicken kids meal with a side salad. I always have 3 meals extra with it and I don't drink while eating. If you eat somewhere really unhealthy make sure to order chilli, or chicken, yogurt, fruits, salads, or get the normal size burger without the Buns and all the fatty stuff but eat 2-3 oz worth not the whole thing. I am open about my surgery and don't hide it so I don't feel uncomfortable going out with friends and eating.

I had surgery Tuesday Feb 25th, and went back to work the next Monday. It was too soon, but I stuck with it, doing half days, since after 4 hours I was exhausted. I really wish I had taken more time. I never did get nauseous and didn't have much pain, but was extremely tired. Being on a liquid diet did nothing for my energy level either.

PS. The other laproscopic surgery I had was Gallbladder removal while I was pregnant. Any complications from anyone having that done before also?

I had my gall bladder out before surgery and have sphincter of oddi dysfunction (type 1). I have had multiple lower stomach surgeries as well for PCOS (cyst removals and draining), bladder surgery, and a c-section. None of those surgeries affected my sleeve surgery. I did however have some issues from the sphincter of oddi dysfunction (type 1) and nausea but that isn't a common illness to have to begin with. I also had some issues with my vagus nerve after surgery, not sure why really, but my heart rate was too low and after about 4 months that improved, that isn't common either though.

Hi I'm 8 wks post op as of yesterday. I still get hungry but when I eat a few bites I'm full. It is definitely worth it but not as easy as I thought. I thought the weight would fall off but that is not the case. You definitely still have to work at it. I fight everyday to try to increase my Water intake. Right now I'm getting between 42-48 ounces including my 2 shakes a day. I have nausea every morning and on and off through out the day but I just started normal food so I think that is why. It is tolerable. I have no regrets at all and an so happy with my decision To get the sleeve!! I'm in a stall right now. I lost 25 pounds so far in 8 wks which sounds like a lot but I have been the weight for 2 wks. Today I lost one pound. I was walking before but now joined a gym 3 day a wk. as for work after 1 wk, I took 3 wks off, I had issues with my inner sutures being tied to tight and had I wait for them to pop. It was uncomfortable sitting after awhile so as long as you can get up and walk around a little bit you should be fine! Good luck and it is the best thing I did for myself!!!

I was sleeved a little less than 6 weeks ago. I do experience hunger, although it is easy to ignore (not that gnawing "oh my God I am going to chew off my own hand if I do not eat something" kind of hunger). I monitor everything I eat on Myfitnesspal to make sure I am getting enough Protein. I have joined a gym and I exercise 5-7 days per week (yoga, weights, walking/jogging, etc). I do not drink my calories and I do not eat bread, Pasta, potatoes, rice, or any junk food. All of this is a lot of work-- but my feeling is, I did not have this surgery for nothing-- I intend to make it count. I have lost about 28 pounds in 6 weeks-- not super fast, but not slow, either-- I am fine with 3-4 pounds a week. I can eat a good bit of food at this point-- for example, I can have 2 eggs for Breakfast. I can also have 2 or 3 oz of chicken and a 1/4c of veggies with no issue.

I think the reason most of us stick to a strict diet, at least for the first year, is that we can only eat just a little bit so what we eat better count! After pre op then liquid diet then mushies etc... you kind of lose your taste for all the junk... for a while anyway, so you use this time to help break all your bad habits. As far as going back to work at one week, I'm a stylist but I used to be a nail tech and I think if you lighten your load some and assuming you have no complications you should be fine. Tired but fine. I'm almost 5 months out and that"strict" diet is becoming increasingly difficult. I'm starting to crave things I haven't wanted in months but I just stay away and the cravings quickly go away. I love my sleeve#

Here is my cents...13 days post op....and hungry!! Eating liquids and purees, as ordered, however, still hungry! My saving grace?? That wonderful pouch restriction that says if you follow your head and eat one more bite, you are gonna throwup and be in pain! Restriction is the key for me so far. And if I follow the "proteins first" mantra when I graduate to real food, I am fairly certain that overeating will be a thing of the past. It hurts to overeat! That is me, for now....