Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Something wrong

I am pretty sure something is not right, and I have an appointment with my doctor on Monday morning. But I was just wondering what it could be since I couldn't find anything concrete when I looked up my symptoms. I'm kinda freaking out and having to wait the whole weekend is making it even worse. I can't eat anything :(. Even sliders feel stuck....takes me an hour to eat 1/2 cup of Soup and it feels like I have to burp all the time. I can't even drink coffee till about 11am...it comes back up. I have a sore throat too, but not sure if it's related since I've had a bad cold for the past 3-4 wks, which turned into a sinus infection. I have not had a fill since September...but these symptoms just started about 2 weeks ago, getting progressively worse. When I was sick, I vomited several times, and so I stopped solids and just started to eat sliders thinking maybe it will help my band that was irritated due to vomitting. But sliders aren't sliding, even soup is hard to eat now. I just feel like a giant burp is stuck is my throat and I can't get it out. My only savior is hot tea....unfortunately it has no calories. I've been managing to get 300-600 calories per day between yogurt, soup, and thin Protein Shakes. I will be lying if I said I wasn't scared right now...

I would call your doctor even if you have an appointment on Monday and see what he recommends. I wouldn't play around with it all weekend. He might send you to the ER to get an unfill so call him that is what they are there for.

Colds and stomach bugs can cause the lining in your stomach to swell. This can cause the stoma to shrink in size making it very difficult to swallow anything. If you're having problems swallowing fluids Cheryl is right, call your doctor so that you don't get dehydrated.

Vomiting can cause a slip but if your only symptom is difficulty in swallowing slider foods, it may not be as drastic as a slip. I wouldn't wait. Call the Dr and you'll probably get an answering service but have him call you?

Thank you for your concern guys. I forgot to mention that I currently live in Germany. Things are different here. The doctor I'm going to see is not the actual surgeon that performed my surgery in Texas. I've been sipping hot tea all weekend and managed to get some yogurt down. Can't wait for my appointment tomorrow to find out what the heck is going on. I hope it's nothing serious like a slipped band or erosion ????.

Good news...nothing was wrong with my band or pouch!!! I did the barium swallow X-ray and I was simply too tight. The doctor took out 1/2cc and I feel so much better already! I was a bit perplexed since I always thought that the band may get looser with time, especially if I lose weight. I never expected it to get tighter. Nonetheless, I feel sooooo relieved! Thank you everyone for your support!

So glad for you to get this resolved. Phew!

I've been having very similar issues but not that drastic...my last fill was abt a month and a half ago and the last two weeks I have felt like my band got tighter...as you said I didn't think that was possible I just thought it would get looser over time...hence needing another fill. Since feeling tighter I cannot get all my Water or Protein in a day..some days are better than others...I have a Dr appt on Monday so I will see what my Dr thinks...most deff will not get anymore put in !

I have went through this twice, where I had a fill last July and then all of a sudden in October I was tight. I had an unfill in October then in February happened again where I was too tight all of a sudden, had a complete unfill for 2 weeks.

My doctor said as you lose weight your body changes, and it can also be colds, weather, allergies, etc.

It is odd and frustrating, but oh my goodness being too tight is no fun! Glad you are feeling better!

I KNOW the feeling! I am 4.5 years post op and had my first UN-fill Tuesday. I had a head cold/sinus issue last week and a pill got stuck last Thursday evening. I've have had irritation in the past from a stuck episode that went away after a day or two, so I spent a couple days thinking it'd get better, liquids only for Sat and Sun....and even they were uncomfortable, BUT I was able to get in plenty of Water....VERY slowly.

I've read enough (probably too much) on this forum about slips/band erosions/sky is falling/etc....that I was actually starting to think something could be wrong....Went in Tuesday morning and my doc removed "a little" bit of saline.....WOW....instant relief. Band looks perfect, but he could SEE that I was having a little bit of refluxing due to tightness. And I hadn't had an increase in fill volume for several months.

Just goes to show....listen to your band/body, and if something doesn't seem right, GO see your doctor. I'm glad you are feeling better as well. :)

I had a stomach bug a couple weeks ago and went through same thing. I was told it was swelling from throwing up. They actually had to take some fill out to allow swelling to go down. They also said the drainage from a cold or sinus can have an effect on the band as well. Once they relieved the pressure swelling went away in a couple of days.

Thank you for all your support guys! I'm doing so much better after my 0.5cc unfill. I don't even feel the "hair ball" in the back of my throat anymore (I posted about it a couple of months ago). I just hope i can continue to lose weight ????