Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Were is all my Chattanoogians at?

I called Dr. Ponce's office again today and they said that they had faxed my referral info to the Memorial Diabetes Center, so I called Memorial right away, but the earliest appt they could give me was 11/19! I took the appt but called Dr. Ponce's office back. They said they would try to get me an earlier appt with the Diabetes Center. At this rate it will be 2009 before I get to have my surgery. With my luck I'll be on the pre-surgery diet over the Christmas holidays. :-o

I called Dr. Ponce's office again today and they said that they had faxed my referral info to the Memorial Diabetes Center, so I called Memorial right away, but the earliest appt they could give me was 11/19! I took the appt but called Dr. Ponce's office back. They said they would try to get me an earlier appt with the Diabetes Center. At this rate it will be 2009 before I get to have my surgery. With my luck I'll be on the pre-surgery diet over the Christmas holidays. :-o

Since you are self pay, maybe Johnna can go ahead and schedule your surgery for close to the time of your appointment? I mean that appointment would be your only hold up right? It would ruin Thanksgiving:thumbdown:, but it would put you back on solid foods by Christmas. It's just a thought.

Hey y'all,

Sorry to hear that everyone is having such a hard time with Dr. Ponce's office. I am however glad that Dr. Rose (my doctor) practices by himself. He has the Weight Management Center do his fills, but I know that he is also there every Tuesday. Anyway, I hope y'all get everything figures out soon. I may not be get6ting surgery as I am not sure I weigh enough for my insurance to cover the surgery and I have bad credit so I figure I will try but if they deny me I may need to appeal or try again at a later date.

Kim

From what they described, I would have to work with the diabetes center for several weeks. They are going to analyze my medications and diet (and possible make changes to my meds) and have to verify that my blood sugar is below 180 for two weeks before they will even schedule the surgery. Also, they will check my blood sugar the morning of surgery, and if it is above 180, they will cancel surgery (and I will lose my 1000 dollar deposit). Dr. Ponce explained that the reason for this is that with high blood sugar, the risk of infection is high, and I could lose the band due to infection.

From what they described, I would have to work with the diabetes center for several weeks. They are going to analyze my medications and diet (and possible make changes to my meds) and have to verify that my blood sugar is below 180 for two weeks before they will even schedule the surgery. Also, they will check my blood sugar the morning of surgery, and if it is above 180, they will cancel surgery (and I will lose my 1000 dollar deposit). Dr. Ponce explained that the reason for this is that with high blood sugar, the risk of infection is high, and I could lose the band due to infection.

That makes sense, but is awful for you. I hope that you able to get your blood sugars in order. I would hate for you to lose your money. Maybe since you have already started working on what you eat, that will help to regulate your blood sugars too. I hope everything works out for you. I know after going through all of this work, to be turned away would be awful. Keep me posted on what happens.

slim, you've lost 25 pounds, that's great! I am losing slow, but if I could get right with my fills, I know I could lose more. I have had 3 fills, but the last one was too tight and I had to go have some let out. I go Wednesday for another fill, so hopefully things will get moving again.

I lost most of it during the pre-op diet. I have only lost about 7 pounds since I had surgery. I am losing slow too. I don't get another fill until the 17th or 18th. Until then, I am just trying to struggle through.

Yea, it is hard at first until you start getting a few fills. I was at the sweet spot when I had my second fill. Now I can't seem to get right. I didn't have to do a preop diet. Hang in there and it will get better.

I would love to see the sweet spot. I went to the gym today. I hope that helps me with my weight loss. We shall see what happens.

That fee probably is included in your price. I think that the reason we get charged an extra fee is they don't actually get all of the money that they bill insurance. This is a way for him to collect some money up front. Just my own personal opinion on that one. I can't see any other reason for it.

I too was going to be banded by Dr. Ponce's group, but the $1000 is a program fee (used to pay for their website, and their support group) they stated that they would not bill the insurance company as it is non-covered by the insurance company. I refused to pay it because I don't live in TN and would not be attending the support groups there. I live near Auburn, Alabama. I had surgery in TN becuase that is where my family lives.

I had surgery on June 9, 2008 by Dr. Robert Sass and felt that he was wonderful. He was very attentive and accessible. He is also a part of the Memorial Weight Management Center, but he did not charge any program fees.

I live in Chattanooga and don't go to the support group meetings. Don't get me wrong, I am happy with my surgery from Dr. Ponce, but when I was doing my research about getting the band Dr. Ponce and Dr. Rutledge were the only options listed with my insurance. I didn't like Dr. Rutledge's bedside manner after he did my gall bladder surgery so I picked Dr. Ponce. I realized too late that there were other surgeons that I could have used that didn't charge that fee. I had already paid it, and they DON'T give refunds on it. That's ok, it was still money well spent.

Oh yea, slim, I went yeasterday for a fill and some women were talking in the waiting room about Brooke. They said that she had a Tummy Tuck a while back, and now it is ruined because she has put back on so much weight.