Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Struggling with junk food.

I've let myself indulge in some unhealthy Snacks. I've not gone back to eating fast food, which I struggled badly with before VSG.

I'm 6 months out. Down 144 lbs since March 22, 2013.

Any tips on how to get back on track? I've scheduled to see a psych to talk thru some of the addictive issues I've been working on for the last two years.

Thank you!

Get it out your home immediately...your junk food. For a while eat only at home so that u can get to the basics. Eat Protein first.. Measure your food. And drink tons of Water. . Limit carb intake. Taking in too much carbs triggers me to want sweets.. Etc. You have come so far ..please don't jeopardize yourself.

You know what to do. Just start doing it. :).

Glad to hear you've scheduled a visit with a psych.

I agree with the above - get the junk out of the house, office, car, etc.

Remember that discipline you had right after surgery? Protein first, weighing and measuring your food, drinking Water, etc...get back to basics. You know what worked before, go back to that. I allowed myself to get off track recently and found that going back to 1-2 shakes per day helps keep the cravings for the bad food at bay.

You have been so successful - this is just a speedbump. Regain control.

I wish you only good things!!!!

Thank you both. I remember at my one or two month follow up telling my surgeon I'd not tested any boundaries and that I couldn't imagine doing so. It's interesting how that's changed a bit.

Going back to shakes and limiting carbs both are things that I think would help for sure. And I think in learning my "boundaries" with certain foods. Meaning, I'm the type of person that cannot just have ONE chip and be okay. I think I need to go back to the "not even one bite" rule with some of these trigger foods.

Again, thank you both for encouragement!

I am a carb addict. I cannot have ANY. I AM the Lay's chip commercial... betcha can't eat just one... BAG.

SO, for sugrs and refined starches and carbs, I follow Yoda's advice:

"There is no try. There is only Do or Not Do".

I choose Not Do.

Get the junk out of your house! replace it with fresh fruits, veggies, sugar free jello's and puddings. When I feel I need something sweet I'll grab some fruit or I'll get some of the sugar free Water flavor packs (crystal light) and add to a bottle of Water. If I crave something salty I'll eat some granola or a few sunflower (unsalted) seeds.

Posting your situation here is a great first step to getting back on track! I know I did the same thing myself last week.

Yep, I vote for Protein shakes, limit/eliminate carbs. Ditch all trigger foods for now. Mine is Peanut Butter. :)

Talk with your therapist. Talk to all of us. We've all been there, and we all struggle from time to time.

Not to spoil the ending for you, but everything is going to be OK.

Be well…

@@Arts137 - is right on track as usual!

I still have those times when I'm stressed or bored that I will find myself reaching in the bag of chips or taking a bite or two of something on the counter. That grazing habit rears it's ugly head and in my house, those foods are usually packed with carbs, which one eaten, makes me want more carbs. I'm OK if those foods are tucked neatly in the pantry - out of site out of mind, but put them on the counter and it's like they draw me to them.

The shakes and Protein bars are my salvation - it curbs those munchie feelings.

Do NOT go to the grocery store until you have eaten! If you are not hungry, you are less likely to buy junk. Good luck, you can do this! Thank goodness I am still loving the SF popsicles!

Do NOT go to the grocery store until you have eaten! If you are not hungry, you are less likely to buy junk. Good luck, you can do this! Thank goodness I am still loving the SF popsicles!

Good point...I went to the grocery store right before my lunch the other day and I was feeling hungry. I ended up buying some Greek Yogurt pretzels. I grabbed two and ate them - my husband grabbed the bag and put them in the back seat. He told me I should wait until we got home to eat a real meal. (Prior to surgery I would have gotten really mad at him, but now I'm thankful - he's watching out for me.)

Wow...4gotten about the SF Popsicles!....I to lately stuggling but this is what I needed ...back to the basics. ..

I've let myself indulge in some unhealthy Snacks. I've not gone back to eating fast food, which I struggled badly with before VSG.

I'm 6 months out. Down 144 lbs since March 22, 2013.

Any tips on how to get back on track? I've scheduled to see a psych to talk thru some of the addictive issues I've been working on for the last two years.

Thank you!

Thx for sharing i needed this today myself...stuggling myself...

This may sound a little risky but it often helps me. The key is awareness. Once you dismiss your attention you can put anything in your body. The problem is that you still think of your body as a civic but want it to look and act like a Benz. Stop feeding a Civic!!! Think of your food as fuel. The quality of that fuel is a reflection of how you feel about YOU at the moment you consume it. If your going to eat, eat quality. People who love themselves don't eat doritos. They eat avocado w/ cumin, imported cheeses and marconia almonds with sea salt, rosemary and olive oil! Doritos are cheap, fake food and your decision to have surgery was a decision to live a high quality life. When you feel the junk food impulse consult the snob in you and prepare a high class snack fest that you won't need to tune out while eating!

I was in awe once of a man who said "I eat to live, I don't live to eat". I thought OMG I totally live to eat. Well thanks to the sleeve, I now eat to live. I do not bring the junk home because I know I get weak.