Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any type 2 diabetics who are insulin dependant out there?

I have a few questions for you in regards to having surgery done if you are on insulin. Were you ever told you had to be off all insulin before you could even have any WLS done? Also how low of a calorie diet were you put on before the surgery?

Thanks

Well first off I am a type 1 diabetic (diagnosed just after my 3rd birthday) and am on a insulin pump. I was told to do what I normally do for surgery and bring my supplies with me. I will be on a insulin drip while in OR and recovery and until I can manage it on my own.

If on shots of Lantus or Levemir I would take my normal shot and leave it at that.. And make sure they understand that you are a insulin requiring type 2 and talk with your endo for what you should do after surgery for what works for me might not work for you

I am a type 2 insulin diabetic, I was not told to come off my insulin. I start my pre OP diet on Sunday and was given a diabetic pre OP diet that actually includes liquids with sugar. I was told to watch my sugars closely and adjust my insulin accordingly. My surgeon did tell me I may be able to leave the hospital never needing insulin again, which would be the biggest blessing I could get! However if nothing else should be greatly reduced!

I was on insulin for a few weeks after the surgery, then eventually was taken off it completely...losing the weight and eating less, normalized my blood sugars to where I didn't need the insulin anymore. Im only 3 months post-op and have lost 54 pounds since surgery.

No I am type 2 diabetic and take levermir and novolog insulin pens all the doctor did is inform me the day of surgery do not take my novo log and half my dose of levermir .

I am a type2 diabetic, I was taking Byetta 10 units 2 x a day, 50 units of Lantus, 12 units Humalog before meals and a sliding scale between. After my sleeve my Dr.told me no more Byetta, 25 units of Lantus, and sliding scale of Humalog. I now take 15 units of Lantus,and I may have to take 1 or 2 units of Humalog occasionally. I saw my primary Dr last week and he said my AC1 was 5,and we may be able to lower it even more. I have lost a total of 85 lbs. I feel better than I have in yrs. Good luck on your journey.

I am a type2 diabetic, I was taking Byetta 10 units 2 x a day, 50 units of Lantus, 12 units Humalog before meals and a sliding scale between. After my sleeve my Dr.told me no more Byetta, 25 units of Lantus, and sliding scale of Humalog. I now take 15 units of Lantus,and I may have to take 1 or 2 units of Humalog occasionally. I saw my primary Dr last week and he said my AC1 was 5,and we may be able to lower it even more. I have lost a total of 85 lbs. I feel better than I have in yrs. Good luck on your journey.

I have a few questions for you in regards to having surgery done if you are on insulin. Were you ever told you had to be off all insulin before you could even have any WLS done? Also how low of a calorie diet were you put on before the surgery?

Thanks

I was never told to stop my insulin. I was put on an insulin pump because I am not a type 1 or type 2 every time I am tested I test both. But that is a different story. I did surgery to help put my diabetes in remission but I did not have all the facts. If you have diabetes for a long time like I did it may not help it. I also was told to bring my supplies to surgery and they monitored my sugars until I was fully awake to do it my self. As for what diet I was on I did liquid diet for two weeks and then slowly did liquid for three weeks then puree for two weeks and then moved into solids. I must check my sugars because I sometime go to low. My sister had full bypass and she put her diabetes in remission a month out of her surgery.

And it is important to test sugars before exercising. I also was followed by Endo to ensure I make the correction I need as I moved on in my journey.