Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need some positive energy/vibes. One week to go....

It seems like the past 6 months have dragged on WAITING to be approved and WAITING to get a date. Then it seems like "holy @&$) - I'm scheduled! I've poured over this site day after day and been inspired over and over. But as luck would have it, seems like there have been a rash of "complication" and "regret" posts popping up the last two weeks. Not one to bury my head in the sand - I'm a nurse so I certainly can realize the potential for serious complications. But I'm feeling like the wind has been fading out of my sails. Not sure if it's self doubt? If it's just a coincidence that I'm seeing threads that talk about regret? It's not really cold feet. Next Thursday at 1:30 - I'm there. Not sure?? Then I saw the new stories about high Protein diets and links to cancer. Is the universe trying to tell me something??? I guess I liked feeling the optimism and hopefulness that was so predominate in these threads over the past several months, not that it's gone but just feels weak. I suppose it's good to be realistic in the ebb and flow of life with a sleeve. It's not perfect. I can accept that. But throw a girl a bone - tell me there is much goodness waiting on the other side. And as luck would have it, I'm heading into surgery week with PMS. That should be big fun to have my friend visit while I'm immediate post op! Sigh.... Guess I'm just letting anxiety get the best of me. :-(

I am scheduled for next Thursday as well. I think it is last minute nerves and all the people sharing the horror stories. Read through and find the positive ones. It helps! Best of luck on becoming a "loser" too. ;)

I feel the same way. I am scheduled for the 10th of this month. have been super excited until tonight when i started seeing all the horrific problems some of these people are having. my heart breaks for them. this should be a wonderful experience to finally be free from this weight issue. now i have a zillion other concerns. praying for the best for you!!

Hello to all of you,

There are always posts on here about complications, problems and regrets but they are few compared to the posts of success,excitement and happiness over the results of WLS. Right now you are more sensitive to those negative posts and that is okay. You have to be realistic and know that anybody could have complications, its just a possibility that comes with surgery. Statistically, chances are in your favor that everything will be okay but every once in awhile something happens. Be honest and open with your surgeons about any issues you have that might complicate the surgery so preparations can be taken before hand. If you have done your homework and you have prepared correctly you will have no problems with your surgery. Keep focused on the possibilities of better health, significant weight loss, more energy and a more active life style. Are the risks worth that? Only you can answer that question for yourself. Whatever you choose, I wish you luck. As for me, I will be 4 weeks out on Monday the 10th and I could not be happier. This is much easier than I thought it would be and I have no results. Best of luck and happiness to all of you.

that should say I have no "regrets". LOL I have had great results. Darn auto spell check.

Just had my surgery done on Feb 24th. I also had similar feelings before my surgery but I then I remembered my obesity is killing me anyways, a slow death. When I get older I can be put in a nursing home, diabetic with arthritis and who knows what else! A burden to my family and friends. It's normal to be nervous, worry about long term effects. It's been a tough few weeks but I still don't regret it. I was going down a wrong path, I needed help and decided to change. I lost 10 lbs on the pre op diet, then I lost 12 lbs my first week after surgery. I am already building back up my self confidence :) I know in a couple of months I will be sexy again... Hahaha

Btw I was on my period the day of my surgery. It's not a big deal, your nurses will be great!

Good luck :)

If you have any questions just ask!

Also look around this app there are lots of people with great success stories

I had wls with no regrets. Coming to terms with changing your lifestyle with food and exercise may be harder than expected after surgery for some people . I had a day of awakening , a day of true reality, that I have changed forever.. The day I admitted that my best friend, food, deserted me. ( a week after surgery) It was good that I went tthrough that experience. I wanted to binge so much that day..but I knew physically I could not, and I stayed on. My eating protocol that day. I never looked back after that. I am so happy I had the sleeve. I can feel full again..it had been so long I could felt satisfied with eating a descent portion. I was ápprehensive to have the surgery.it is normal to be somewhat scared. But I knew I had to do something with my many years of weight problems. Yoyo for so many years. You also have to realize some people see a glass half full, and others, half empty , so be aware . I had absolutely no complications. Took me about 6 weeks to eat regular food. Just be patient with the seating schedule. I , myself, had to be on the liquid phase longer since the purée phase was too difficult to handle at first. Be positive in your thoughts..look forward to the future, and keep yourself busy till surgery day so that your mind won't wonder to fear.

It's last-minute nerves!! I was also really jittery and wrote up a living will a couple days before my surgery... It felt better to get the morbid thoughts in my head out of the way, to have a little control over it. I emailed my wishes to my partner and my sister, and to my psychiatrist and our trust lawyer. I don't know if it would have been legally defensible but it still made me feel better.

WLS feels like a threshold!! On this side you're status quo, obese and failing with diets... On THAT side you're losing weight and embarking on a whole different "diet" that you can't just give up on if you have a bad day. It's a different world, and it's scary. You're giving up overeating, this old comfort - these insulin crashes that put you to sleep like a security blanket, that cozy full-of-Cookies tummy - in favor of hoping to be a healthy normal weight again.... and we didn't get to this place in life by hating food and hating to eat.

Recognize it as a threshold, a step you can't take back. This is like being a new mother in a way.... There's this whole new life you've got to take care of - YOURS!!!

I think its normal to have pre surgery nervousness. Probably like a bride or groom before their wedding day. U think of all that may happen. But remember u thought about this for probably a long time with a clear head. Trust in that. You'll b ok. Keep a positive attitude and all will be fine. Trust in yourself, your doctors and God and you will make it out healthier then ever!!! Best of luck

Our subconscious is a funny thing. It focuses on the one thing you don't want it too. There are still a lot of positive posts out there, but because you are close to your surgery date and you are nervous (as we all were), it is focusing on all of the negatives. We all did it. I am 4 weeks out and 18 lbs down since surgery and 43lbs down since the start of my journey and I feel great. The first week was rough, but I got through it and I can tell you I am loving my new life and so is my husband. I have so much more energy. Also I started my period the day of my surgery and it was fine. You will do great. Sending you positive vibes and best wishes.

oh my goodness I was super nervous!! But now I am sitting here in my room hoping to be discharged tomorrow!! Totally worth it! Everything will be fabulous!! Keep up updated!!

Thank you all for the positive words. I'm home and healing. Definitely not a piece of cake but I'm home. Wasn't too bad and if it wasn't for the reaction I have the general anesthesia, I think I'd been fine. Much better today. No where near Water or Protein goals but I think that's normal (I hope) for the first week. Ready to lose! Let's go!

The first week for me was the toughest but each week gets better. I'm super excited that I chose this healthy path. I'm 3 weeks post op and so happy for a new chance at living. Congrats on your sleeve.

Best decision I've ever made my ONLY regret is that I didn't do it sooner!!! Some tips: sip, sip, sip! Walk, Walk, Walk! When cleared, buy yourself a membership to a gym and go. Good luck & keep us posted!

Edited by onedaycloser