Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded this morning! 3-6-14

Hi guys! I am now banded.. And so excited! I am also in a ton of pain. Lol I wasn't one of the lucky ones that experienced minimal to no pain at all.. But, luckily, I have a very understanding nursing staff that provides me with pain meds and encouragement.

I walk the halls about every 2 hours and that helps with the gas build up in my chest.

I can breath in 3000 ml of air! My respiratory therapist was impressed, me too kind of..

I'm a little concerned because I have been able to drink a lot it seems. : ( since 5:30 I have drank a cup of broth, a small portion of sherbert, I have drank 3 juice cups (about 12 oz all together) and 9 oz of H2O.

So.. I drank, roughly, 34 oz in about 3 hours. I feel like that is too much?

Congratulations! Hope the pain is better by the time you see this.

Drinking is good for a variety of reasons. My doc limited me to a small amount every thirty minutes. Have you checked in with the nurses about any limitation? I'm sure there are a variety of "right" answers.

just be sure you are sipping not gulping. but drinking plenty of liquids is good. don't be surprised if your stoma becomes a little bit swollen. that will slow down the amount of liquid able to go through your band. but drink. you need it and might be just a bit dehydrated. when you get home watch the fruit juice, lots of calories and sugar. switch to crystal light or something like that to quench your thirst. I too loved fluids. and it only benefits me today. good luck on a quick and swift recovery. sounds like you are off to a good start.

Thanks guys! I would prefer to not be drinking juices, but it is what the hospital gives me since I am on a liquid diet. I counted my calories up and only got 600 yesterday.. But when I go home it is only Crystal Light for me.

Anyways. I just felt weird because I read a lot on how people could just barely drink anything. I didn't gulp, just constantly sipped. I will talk to my nurses.

Thanks for making me feel better guys!

I was also banded 3-6-14! I am an extreme amount of pain, I drink liquids but I feel like Im starving?

You will feel starving until they tighten your band. You are in the healing stage. It's the worst time. But keep your eye on the prize. It gets better!

Congratulations on being banded ladies. You will feel hungry a lot throughout this journey. Keep following doctor's orders and you will be fine.

Thanks for the encouragement, guys! It helps a lot! : ) & HAPPY BANDING, Jennifer! : )

Hello to all. I also got my band on 3-6-14. My pain has not been too bad, mostly on the port side. Have been taking an OTC liquid pain reliever which is working pretty well. My biggest problem is getting all my fluids and Protein in. Not so hungry but I know it's really important so I am working on that. Lots of rumbling in my stomach and burping, anyone else? I am so happy to be on this side of surgery and can't wait until I can have pureed foods.

Remember when you have surgery you couldn't eat or drink for over 12 hours and you were probably a little dehydrated. I think that the drinking is good, just sip and I think you should be ok. Water and liquids usually slide on down through your band. You may have some swelling, just take it easy!

So happy for all of you & I hope you all feel better soon! Take care!

Congrats!!! In about 2.5 weeks you will feel GREAT!!!

Also banded 3-6! Have been lucky with minimal pain. Was hungry Saturday but now I think my stomach has just given up (which is fine with me) The strangest thing have been the food dreams. I wake up in a panic thinking I've eaten something I shouldn't have. Always relieved when I find myself in bed with no Pasta in sight! (Is it sad I have lasagna dreams?)

When you guys say sip, what is a sip?" 1oz 2oz etc...please help. I'm scheduled to be banded on 4/14/14 and I want to get everything right. I'm terrified of getting stuck, slimming and all the other bad stuff. HELLO PLEASE THANKS!

I'm only a week post surgery and still on full liquids but I can do more than sip without any problems. I drink Water at the rate and amount that I used to. I'm with you though. Worried about vomiting and sliming. Hoping it's not something that is inevitable. Do want to let you know that while everyone is different, I've had very little pain with incisions, no gas pains, and was only sick to my stomach the day of surgery. Have felt weak and tired a few times but nothing too bad. Here's hoping things go as smoothly for you!

Honey32 & ksc1965, you all are fine. Liquids are not going to get stuck. Some people have zero appetite after sx that even drinking Water is a chore. That's why we say to "sip, sip, sip" so hydration doesn't become a factor. So "sip, sip, sip: and you can with no problems "drink, drink, drink" :-)

Edited by starfish n coffee