Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"Lap Bands are becoming obsolete"

I finally got approval from my ins co and I am hoping to schedule my surgery mid-April. I keep hearing that the sleeve is replacing lap band surgery, bands break, erode, have to be removed,etc I even hear this from the lady in the surgeons office, who had bypass surgery. I see so many on here that have had/are having good luck. I do not want 75% of my stomach removed, that's just me personally. Just not sure why all the negativity.

They are not becoming obsolete. Doctors are just becoming lazy and don't want to provide the after care that comes with them. They actually have to be responsible for something. If it was becoming obsolete and so many complications why would thousands of people still be getting them. I would not have either of the other surgeries. If there ever comes a time that I need my band out then that will be that and no other surgery will be rerouting or disfiguring anything in my body.

I had the Lap Band my sister had the Gastric Bypass, I did not want that. She is throwing up all the time, on account of nothing agrees with her stomach. She had this surgery about 6 years ago and I just didn't want to go thru everything that she did.

To be sure, the band can be more complex and less forgiving than some other WLS techniques. Compliance is a huge issue with the band and the lack of compliance can lead to some harsh consequences including erosion, slips, dilation.

As Cheryl said, aftercare is an issue for many docs. Clinic compensation is an issue. Physicians can earn a higher fee for bypass or sleeve surgeries.

The band does have a higher complications rate in some studies, but just a few % points. And yes, the band is becoming less popular but many docs are still offering the band, so obsolete is an overstatement.

For me, I would have went with the sleeve if I could have gotten over the 85% stomach removal but that would have been my main roadblock if I would have considered it.

I was banded 4 months ago and so far I am happy with my band , the other surgeries for me were to much and also the problem with the Vitamins intake, I know 2 people with WLS 1 with the sleeve and one co worker with bypass 7 years ago ,the one with sleeve have to take the vitamins by Iv and my coworker I was told that she was out from work last week because she ended in the emergency room and they have to put a tool thru her troat to she can eat again I do not know what happen and I did not ask her because I am out from work due to a fall but in all of the surgeries are risks, For me the band works but we have to follow the rules, go to check ups with the doctor and the best part of the band for me is that is reversible and nothing is cut and remove inside.

I also wondered if this was the best choice because so many medical staff were asking why I didn't want the sleeve. For me it's because it's the least invasive, and no permanent change of my anatomy. I'm fully prepared to change my eating permanently, but the safety of being able to remove the band if something went wrong is reassuring. I spent so many years on prescription NSAIDs for arthritis and went off them three months ago to prepare for this surgery. The NSAIDs always bothered my stomach, so I lived on Prevacid twice a day. I guess I'm always worried about ulcers, and what if I had bypass or a sleeve and something happened to an already small stomach? It's just a gut feeling, pun intended!

They are not becoming obsolete. Doctors are just becoming lazy and don't want to provide the after care that comes with them. They actually have to be responsible for something. If it was becoming obsolete and so many complications why would thousands of people still be getting them. I would not have either of the other surgeries. If there ever comes a time that I need my band out then that will be that and no other surgery will be rerouting or disfiguring anything in my body.

I agree with you about lazy doctors and having my insides cut up or removed.

I dont know tour personal situation or what's right for you. Only you can decide that.

Have a look at the "band to sleeve conversion" forum on here. It's in the "main gastric sleeve" forums. There are plenty if people there who are having conversions. Either because they haven't lost weight with the band or they've had a serious complication.

I had a serious complication with the band, had to have it removed and would never have a band again. It was unfortunate as I had very good weight loss with the band. I've now regained all the weight back :(

I researched the band and never even considered anything else as the band was the least invasive, had very quick recovery time, and a good Dr that would be there for followup, questions , etc. Im soooooooo glad i was banded. I no longer have sleep apnea, digestive problems, and ive lost 65 of the 80 lbs I need/ want to lose. A co worker had gastric bypass, she had most of her stomach removed, talks about nothing except what she can or cant eat, and has nonstop problems. Im definetly pro band !!

Personally I don't believe it's "lazy doctors who won't give aftercare". They get paid for this, so there is no reason not to do it.

I appreciate other people may have different views or experiences .

Personally I don't believe it's "lazy doctors who won't give aftercare". They get paid for this, so there is no reason not to do it.

Very few get paid to do it and doctors would rather earn $3K for an hours surgical work than $0-$250 hr sticking patients with needles.

My doctor gives lifetime fills for free. He's one in a hundred though. Still, the time spent with me is minimal and the guidance I get is much less than what I read here. That's my experience.

Edited by 2muchfun

i was at a seminar with my lap band dr last night.....and

he said the new (surgery everyone wants) is the sleeve.....and before

that it was the band and before that it was the bypass.....who knows what will be next....with the band, you do have to keep checking in with the dr and i am okay with that......some other surgeries, maybe not so much..its a persons choice/decision.

any WLS can help a person and they should get the surgery that works for them..and any WLS can have complications..it is major freeking surgery and def not a easy way out....i choose the band and my dr added the plication to assist my super BMI of 62.....he stressed to me and again last night that unless a person changes what they eat and begins to move, no WLS will work.....and i believe that...

Everyone's statements are right.. WLS is difficult no matter what you have. my experience has been positive. I have lost 60 lbs of the 75 I needed to lose. I feel like a million bucks.. I take 3 Vitamins a day.. B12, D & Multivitamin.. I do not live on Protein shakes and bars. I do not have dumping syndrome. Most people say I look much younger and that I look healthy . I belong to a support group and we have sleeve patients, bypass and lapband. In that group the sleeve people complain about what they can and cannot eat. How much dumping they have and frankly most don't look well. The bypass person is relatively quiet but now and then talks about their Protein drinks all day.. She has a drawn look but she had 250 lbs to lose so her skin is very saggy. I got the band because it is reversible. Hopefully I will continue to be successful with my band..

Are you kidding me? They are giving up on placing the bands and making patients go with the sleeve or bypass. They are getting paid big bucks for the other surgeries that require minimal or no after care. Most are not even advertising the lap band anymore because they don't want to be bothered.